SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Firstly, I'm sorry if I've posted this in the wrong section but I couldn't decide if there is a more appropriate one.

I've got a set of white Scalextric multi-spoke wheels (from the C2001 Vectra) which have gone yellow. This seems to be normal for these wheels. That car now has a new set of Ninco wheels on, which are a close match for the originals.

My Laguna (C2078) has the wrong design wheels on. It should have similar multi-spokes to the Vectra, but in the same blue colour as the rear of the bodyshell.

So, my question is how best to go about painting the discoloured white wheels blue? My line of thinking is to give them a thorough clean and once they're dry, dip them in a pot of paint. Is this the right way? Would spraying them with an airbrush be better?

TIA for any advice,
Stuart.

·
Gerald Lambourn
1,006 Posts
I am not a good painter, but dipping is out, you will fill the details with gungy paint. Go gently with the airbrush to conserve balance and detail, or lightly primer and aerosol. GENTLY BENTLY!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would have thought that an overnight dip in Fairy Powerspray would strip the wheels pretty well. Followed by a couple of mist coats of spray primer (Halfords grey primer is about the best and most affordable) and then very light coats with an airbrush or rattle can. Dipping will just get a very thick and lumpy result.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input.

Looks like I'm going to be getting the airbrush out and practicing on some spare wheels, then. I always find rattle cans too powerful for small plastic items.

..... Although I suppose I could put the wheels on some spare axles and hold them in a vice.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
When I do my wheels I strip in the isoproplyn and then prime with Halfords grey, then airbrush ally base followed by the colour I want and then clear using halfords clear.

I then to put them on a bbq wood skewer to hold while painting as you need to get in all the nooks and crannies of the wheels.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Looking at one of the cars Graymalkin did for me the wheels are sprayed. If he sprays them, then you should!

I'd mount them on four wooden barbecue skewers, as mentioned above, then rotate and spray at a slight angle so you get inside the rims. Clean with acetone free nail varnish remover, prime white or grey as appropriate first and apply only very thin coatings at a time. Oh, and mask the screw hole if it is that type of wheel.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
No doubting that spraying is a quick and simple way of doing things. But, don't discount a brush. I don't have a great deal of experience with small detail spraying. So when it came to wanting to get a graduated colour I turned to the tool with which I was most familiar.

The Slot.it inserts on this repaint/re-personality are sprayed with silver and then brushed with Tamiya clear colours. It doesn't stand out greatly in the photo but the outer rim is a rich green which blends into a yellowy lime in the centre.

Like many things you'll get the best outcome when you are most comfortable. But don't dip unless you're using ink or dye!

Embs

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
QUOTE (Ember @ 9 Aug 2011, 11:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No doubting that spraying is a quick and simple way of doing things. But, don't discount a brush. I don't have a great deal of experience with small detail spraying. So when it came to wanting to get a graduated colour I turned to the tool with which I was most familiar.

The Slot.it inserts on this repaint/re-personality are sprayed with silver and then brushed with Tamiya clear colours. It doesn't stand out greatly in the photo but the outer rim is a rich green which blends into a yellowy lime in the centre.

Like many things you'll get the best outcome when you are most comfortable. But don't dip unless you're using ink or dye!

Embs
Nice work there

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Thanks Wraith. Was about my second repaint attempt, but first attempt with body mods and self made decals. A bit of a change from its former rally livery.

·
Tom Brown (Scorpus Flex)
1,214 Posts
nice wheels ember

you should never dip a model in anything, not even miniature dip, unless you want to clog up all the details. I think the number one tool needed for painting slot cars or any other models is patience.

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Hi there all..

Stuart.. Here is a simple method I use if need paint wheels that are still attached to the chassis. or might help you all with other painting uses.

Please reference the photos..

I use a piece of A4 paper, cut two slits in the paper the same width as between the axles (wheelbase) .Cut up about halfway, and then if needed, widen out the top section of the cut to take the bearing dia.
Seal the cuts with masking tape (as per the photos). You are now ready for painting and saves a lot of overspray.

I use an Airbrush, although you could use a spraycan, either method, just do not put to much paint on at once, just light coats to build up the colour.

As you can see, going from Red wire wheels to Silver wire wheels is very easy

I hope this technique/tip helps..

All the best.. Martin De'Ath.

By the way.... "Ember" the paintwork on the green car looks excellent, great job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.