SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,185 Posts
Whew! I'm whipped. I've been wanting to close off the scenery on the back stretch of the PDR since I re-routed the pit and start/finish area. While there is no turf down, I managed to get the screen, Sculptamold, paint, and some scenic touches completed. I'm super stoked about the two following areas: the Pit Lane, and the Footbridge. Still have lots of weathering to do, signage to post, hand rails to install, etc.

An overall shot - notice the back stretch has a fence, that shall we say, needs some work...

The new pit stalls at the PDR:

It broke!

The new footbridge:

Lots more to do, just a quick update of where I'm at.

· Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the kind words, glad you all like it. A ton of work yet to be done, but this really closed off some sections of open areas of the benchwork that liked to eat cars. Helps define it better and now I can plan for the scenery bits better.

I'm glad to hear comments on the era...that is what I was really striving for!

As for the walls, it is PVC trim available at Lowes...I don't have the SKU at the moment. I simply score it every 6 scale feet, and then wash with grime colored acrylic paint. Easy stuff!

· Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks very much.

Jens - if you'd just come out here and finish this off for me...

· Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for reminding me! I recently updated my entire website and forgot to change it. My signature will now take you to my track area. It is menu driven now.

· Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I finished my footbridge! All hand railings are complete and the weathering is now finished. I am seriously chuffed!

I made some flags like a few others on here have shown with styrene and heat and made some decals for them of the track logo.

I also added a fuel truck to the pit area and started with this:

Chief Petroleum Co. is a local company that I'd have used:

My favorite new picture of some action on the PDR:

And finally, some grid numbers for the starting line:

Hope you enjoyed the long overdue post!

· Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks gents, I'm glad you like the update. I'm really starting to get going again and look forward to the next few months. I hope to do quite a bit more work!

· Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Utility Poles - Now that scenery is moving along, I am starting to go back and "fill in" areas with things that have always been on the plans, just not done. I decided that PDR needed some utilities in order to power the track PA system, the eventual snack bar, etc. I started with some 1/4" dowel cut to 30 scale feet in height, added some balsa wood cross beams, some ladder steps made from standard staples and used some green clear beads as the insulators. A little stain and weathering and they look pretty good. I'm not going to wire them across the track as that would just make marshaling cars too difficult. They look pretty good as is in my eyes. I used two 1/8" dowels as the speaker poles, only about 20 scale feet in height and then attached thread and glued some triangular flags to them. I made the flags by cutting triangles of styrene and holding them over a candle until they furled a little before painting them. I think they look pretty period correct from the pictures I've researched.

Sponsor Signs - What track is complete without some signs promoting products at a race? Sticking with my desire to pay homage to some local businesses, I have added a few - most notably, Chief Petroleum Kerosene, Celebrity Sports Center (they had a slot car track at one time!), and Red Top Hamburgers. Great family owned place with HUGE burgers. Sadly, Red Top went under in 2012 and Celebrity has been gone much longer. I also added a few automotive related ones. All of these were printed on standard paper with an inkjet printer, glued to picture matting, and then cut and mounted to supports. I've weathered them slightly as they've probably been there all racing season. Home Racing World is of course my homage to my slot car "hangout" on the web.

Altogether:

· Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Gurney for pres... Zook - don't start me...

Vette - wow! Thanks, that is heady praise indeed. As I always say; "I'm no Brad Korrando..."

Paul - thanks!

I'm in the process of building the snack bar...I am VERY happy so far. A few more nights and I hope to show it off.

· Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
He LIVES! Good to hear from you Sir! Hope things are well with you.

Embs - come on over. Still doesn't hold a candle to your work. I should start saying: "I'm no Brad Korrando, and am definitely not Ember!" I'm sure someone would notice...

· Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
James, send me some dates and I'd be honored to have you over! Even have a guest room!

Rally...I'm really trying not to convince myself to wire them up...we'll see...

Mr. Olufsen - great pun, and thank you for the compliment!

I hope to have a cool update in a few days.

· Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thanks for the nice comments!

Finally! After two years of complaining, the little people now have a place to eat. The original CDR had a building that I believe was the concession stand to the north of the concrete grandstands. I've always wanted to replicate something along those lines. Sadly, I've only got 1 picture of the building and it is from a distance, so I've had to "guess" at most of it. Since the track is an homage and not a full replica, I figure that the ghosts of tracks past would be alright with that.

I started by scoring some concrete 4x4' grid lines in styrene and after a quick wash with several colors, I glued it into place and added Sculptamold and turf to the area. I purposefully added dirt and weathering to the pad to make it blend in with the surrounding area. The building is constructed out of styrene with Plastruct lap siding laid over it. The windows were simply boxed and have clear plastic added to them. The dutch door idea I "borrowed" from my friend Brad K's layout...although like everything he does, his is better... The roof is corrugated styrene, and I'm still not completely convinced that I'm in love with it. I wanted the building to look simple like the original picture, but wonder if it is too simple. I'll let it sit for awhile and think about it.

The signage is all printed out on my trusty ink-jet printer and glued to picture matte for depth. The RC Cola them falls perfectly into the track's official colors of white and blue, so that was a natural for the stand. The side of the stand has a small shelf with condiments and napkins for the patron's use. Those were made out of wire in the case of the mustard and ketchup containers and simple block of styrene for the napkin dispenser. The last thing that is bugging me is that the stand has no interior. I may rectify that at some point as well. We'll see how motivated I am to do that.

The picnic tables and benches are all simple styrene builds. The phone booth is a reproduction part off of eBay from an old Marx play set. It comes very plain, but paint and a plastic door I built for it bring it to life.

Now, off to get a burger at the stand while I think about the rest of the scenery...

· Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Glad that folks like it. If I ever planned something it might turn out better, but I tend to just throw things together.

Zook - the drag strip is at Continental Divide Raceway - that is also the main straight for the road course.

I'm running a proxy at PDR this coming weekend and am having a blast with the cars! It is a Trans-Am proxy, of course!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.