SlotForum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my laptops parallel port is screwed! it wont read all the pins, and the ones it does read it reads badly. i know u can get paralell to usb converters for printers, but can you get ones that go to other way, so that i can use my homemade lap counter and cabel on my laptop.

i want to get a cabel to go from a usb port in my laptop, to the parallel conector in the cabel that connects to my rms piece. firstly, does anyone know of a cabel that will do this, and secondly, will downloadable lap coounter software reconise it (how do i set it up)? help would be greatly apreciated as racing is boring with no lap counting... cheers

·
Registered
514 Posts
There weren't any such solutions a few years ago when I worked with computers, but things could very well have changed now...
At that time many laptops started coming without any serial ports so we used pcmcia cards with serial connectors as a substitute. With the drivers installed it came up as a regular com port in windows, so there were no problems with any software.

We got these cards through work, so I don't know anything about the price but it could be worth checking with a decent computer store if they can provide such cards if the cable option isn't available.

André

[Edit] A quick search revealed to me that there are cable solutions available. I assume this is something similar to what you want:
http://www.sunsway.com.hk/products/usb232.html
Note that I haven't used anything like this, so I don't know about the set up...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi,

I was in a branch of Morgan Computers at the weekend and think I saw a parallel to USB cable there. Have a look on www.morgancomputers.co.uk or call 0870 120 4920.

Good luck!

Regards,
Paul

·
Registered
49 Posts
There is, to the best of my knowledge, no USB --> parallel converter out there.

My knowledge of the USB interface at that level is limited, but given power concerns, I'm not sure it'd even be possible.

/gb

·
Registered
514 Posts
Uh, noticed now that you are talking about an parallel port, and not serial...

Anyway, there should be both pcmcia card and cable solutions available from what I can see.
You will probably have to check with the software supplier if the product is compatible with any such products...

André

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my laptop is rubbish, it doesnt have pmcia port. most of the parallel port to usb cables are for printers, and so have the 36 pin printer end, but there is a the 25 pin cabels available, but the only ones ive found is expensive.... i guess its back to pc world for repairs again! better say goodby to my laptop for a bout 3 weeks!

·
Registered
293 Posts
i'm having a similar problem.

i have a lap top, which only has USB's. i bought one of these connectors, so i can connect my USB to the RMS system. but the lap top isnt reconising it as a COM port. how can i sort it?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if its xp, then its cos xp dont reali take to kindly to serial ports, emulated or not, but it shud at least read it as a com port? n e computer wizzes hav n e ideas?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Rob, there really isn't enough information in your post to tell me what the problem might be...
As I said earlier my only experience with such products are from pcmcia cards, and these had software supplied that would get the computer to recognize the port on the card as a normal com port.

My best suggestion is that you check the manufacturers web page or consult with the supplier for help.

Maybe someone else have more helpful advice...

André

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
A quick look in one of my suppliers produced This.
Without my delving too deeply, I would be amaze if one could not source just about any converter one might desire, these days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts