SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just got a Parma Plus 35 ohm controller and , well it doesn't feel right.
The trigger action is VERY scratchy - infact the contact point to the resitor
from the wiper arm seems to be scratched/gauged in.

Is this normal as do they free up with use - or have I got a duffer ?

Chris

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

this is sometimes normal. Check the wiper button to see if it is flat on the resistor. You can lightly bend the arm to reduce pressure. AND you might check HOW you use the controller. The standard cheapy version, not the PdL designed turbo, have sloppy bushing mounts for the trigger. Some people apply a lot of SIDE pressure unintentionally to the trigger causing extra "scratchy".

And work the trigger.

And then, when it is smooth, put a drop of braid juice on the button every time you drive to reduce wear.

Fate

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks ProfFate for you answer - looking at it closely it seems to be just colour
rub off - I have slightly altered the connector now and it feels better - guess it
just needs to "bed in".

On a second question does anyone know where I can buy a socket for the club plugs - been looking everywhere but no one sells them.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Try RS.

They do absolutly everything (I think). Otherwise other mail order electrical outlets should do them.

My friend (an electrition) can get them, if you want me to post you some. PM me if so.

McLaren

·
Registered
800 Posts
When assembling my Parma controllers I lightly bevel the leading and trailing edges of the wiper button after crimping it tightly to the wiper arm. Like Professor Fate mentioned, you need to tweak the wiper arm so the button sits square on the resistor. Something else very important to do is put a light film of epoxy on the resistor. After the epoxy cures I use a very fine stone and lightly remove the epoxy on the wiper side. When I'm done the resistor wires that are wrapped around the ceramic piece are not only fixed permanently but they also have a slight flat on the wiper side for the wiper to glide across.

When done correctly this will give you an extremely smooth long lasting controller. Yes, as smooth as my PM controller.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds like allot of work needs doing to these controllers out the box.

I was thinking about buying some but I have been a little put off now.

Will these parma controllers be much better than my scalextric spors controller.

I only ever race scalextric and scx rally cars both with stock motors.

Thanks
James

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
For me - changing controllers has made a bigger difference than changing motors, gears, adding a power supply etc etc, with scalex sport and scalex (and fly) normal magnet cars.

First was a Red Fox 40 ohm, then in addition I now have a 25 ohm, and a Fly professional 45 ohm.

Being able to use the whole throw of the trigger makes a world of difference

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Yeah, they are a bit graunchy to start with.

I feel the biggest improovement I ever bought was not the controller but actually the black box that everyone whinges about!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yep, it will become smoother with use. Mine did and I've been very happy with mine.

QUOTE I feel the biggest improovement I ever bought was not the controller but actually the black box that everyone whinges about!

o yeh, Inte fine if he crashes his plane now...
joking. See this site for more details - Slot - Tech this chap builds the 'black boxes' that are fitted to your controller and will do a whole host of things.

James

1 - 9 of 9 Posts