SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just been given a parma womp which i believe has the death star motor in. I would like to run it on my scalex home track,i know that the homeset motor is an option but are there other motors i could fit and run on the standard scaley power set up ? thanks GRaham

·
Registered
993 Posts
The Parma homeset motor is a direct replacement for the existing motor and is the simplest way to go.

The normal Mabuch S can size motors with can end drive will fit, and have the right size shaft for Parma pinions.
These cans can be soldered into the chassis which is the simplest solution for those familiar with soldering motors in. For those who don't feel confident about soldering motors in, drilling a couple of holes so the fixing holes line up and screw fixing is fine.

The slimline cans have a smaller shaft so won't fit Parma pinions.

·
Rich Dumas
3,601 Posts
The Parma "home set" and "Death Star" motors are interchangable, however the the "Death Star" is intended for 1/24th commercial tracks and uses a lot more power. The "Death Star" will run on a home track, just not as fast as it would if there was enough power available. There is a chance that you could trip the overload protection that is built into the Scalextric power base.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
if your not running digital, the best idea is to buy a chinese regulated switching power supply with either 12v or 15v out put rated at 5amps. it would set you back £15 at the most inc delivery, as an added bonus you dont get a power surge to the other lane when a car comes off. this will handle nearly all the superfast motors you care to run inc the s16d motors. john

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
A 5 amp power supply is indeed suitable for a 2 lane scalex home track, and should provide sufficient power for the sorts of motor likely to be suitable for that sort of track.
I'd be surprised if many would try a s16d (super 16d) motor on this sort of track, they do take considerably more current that a "Death Star"16d (and the fastest 1/32 motors take considerably more current than either - even less likely to be used on that sort of track). A s16d is designed to take well over 5 amps on acceleration. Quite likely they will run rather reduced acceleration on a 5 amp power supply, although there is quite a possibly it'll trigger the overload cut out (different types of power supplies have differing designs of cut out so react differently to this sort of overloading)

·
Rich Dumas
3,601 Posts
A Death Star 16D motor has a 0.6-0.7 ohm armature and will try to pull nearly 20 amps when it starts up. That will drop considerably once the motor spins up. I did run a couple of 16Ds with my 25 amp Pyramid power supply and the warning light came on when I first applied power. At 12 volts the motors used 4 amps when they were free running. I really don't think that a 5 amp power supply would be enough to run two of these motors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts