Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
While I wait patiently for the competition window winders for my Imp to arrive I thougt I'd build something to rival Difflocks Party wagon , I found this little beast on the shelf at my local branch of Wilkinsons ,might have some appeal to our Swiss and German friends as it apears to hail from that part of the world

Motive power comes from a Polistil F1 chassis suitably chopped

I will probably have to add a magnet and make some silicon tyres to get enough traction as the original tyres are very plastic

All aboard next stop slot -tech

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'll wait till they bring out a version in Gulf livery.

Seriously though, only yesterday I saw one of these in a shop and was discussing with my son the possibilities of converting it. I was thinking of powering the middle axle but I like your solution. How does it handle? Can you actually get it around a track?

I look forward to your next conversion,

mdhnn

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It hasnt run on the track yet I may have to put a second guide on to make sure it turns , I will be testing it on my track today but I wont get to try it at the club till thursday , I found the plastic convolutions a little stiff so I sliced part through alturnate segments to loosen it up a bit .
Will keep you all informed of the progress

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
Excellent Graham!......No doubt Diff is quaking in his boots!....

Does it explode if it drops below 50 MPH?..

Regards

Alan

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
test 1 results rubbish back to the drawing board , the polistil motor just isnt man enough for the job and the bendy section proved to be not flexible enough so i think I may get a better result if I power both sections seperatly
more later:-

ps(John your too old even for a bus pass)

·
Registered
800 Posts
I was curious, would a higher torque motor do the job? Not a screaming motor, something more like an old 36D with a real tame wind. I noticed that for the front of the bus you used a standard guide flag (more or less). Are you using guide pins on the rear section to cut down on friction problems?

I enjoy making one off kinds of cars like this. I'd have used a stupidly fast motor in it but that's because I really wouldn't run it much. I'd just scare the other racers with it. When they saw how fast the bus was they'd be a little worried that the race car would be faster
Psyche games are fun

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Congrats Graham!
I look forward to seeing it in action, once that concertina part is sorted for articulation
My lad has a similar model and the black plastic is far too stiff.

Mark.

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After the some what disasterous debut of Bendy Bus,I took it back to the depot and loked at where the original went wrong .Two problems imediatly showed up .One it weighed 350 grams ,twice the weight of a Chris Briggs proxy car and Two the flexy bit in the middle wasnt flexy enough .
Cure :- get rid of the polistil motor and make the centre more flexy.
I cut the rear axle out of the front coach and fitted a scalex one I then cut enough of the floor out to fit a scalex motor ,the motor was glued directly into the chassis taking care to make sure the gear mesh was good I glued 2 bearing into hold the front axle and then screwed the front 1/2 of an old scalex chassis in place to act as a guide holder.
The rear wheels were bushe with 3/32" brass tube and glued on .Rather than making some silicon tyres as time was now short I added a small traction magnet to the underside of the motor , sticking it to a piece of shim steel so I could bend it closer to the track if needed.
The flexible centre wa replaced with a bit of black polythene cut from a bag to make sure it would bend when it cornered .

I dont know how it will go against party waggon but it corners and stops wether that will be enough we will see on thursday .

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
Ah, we had a lad do one of these ages ago.

It's on the homepage of our site, top right. Use the link in my sig.

We pulled his leg something rotten.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Er.. I won the race
Ain't no replacement for displacement!!

4WD 2xmotors wins (for now...).

Race report to follow in the Event section of SF!! Thanks for the challenge, Graham

Mark.

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well done Mark but be warned Bus wars has only just begun Beware the lure of the dark side

Bendy Bus will return

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I'm not so sure about the lure of the dark side, more of the lunatic fringe with a name on the sun visor of Dickie Spielzeug!!

Mark.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts