SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys:

I've made some more progress on the track and thought I'd post an update of what's been done. I have completed the installation of the sensors for the SCRM lap timer and have painted the surface of the track. I used "bondo" polyester auto body filler to fill in the track joints and holes from screws that were used to flatten the track in some of the turns. I also filled in the gaps between the edge of the track and the hardboard borders. I used latex paint with abrasive added for texture. The texture turned out heavier than expected, but talk about traction! The lap times have made a noticable drop from when the track was unpainted - or maybe that's from my constantly improving driving skills! No...I think it's safe to say it's the paint. Anyway, here are some photos of what I've been up to lately.

My next task will be to start making the topography. I plan on using 2" thick sheets of rigid foam building insulation for the changes in grade.

As always, I appreciate your input.

Best Regards,
Brad

·
Peter Christie
1,835 Posts
I like the paint job...nice track design...I assume its digital, so which controllers are you using, is that a red fox in pic 1 ?

·
Ian
99 Posts
Brad,
As usual immaculate, attention to detail is incredible, I am with the others that have posted before me and can't wait to see how you build the scenery and how it looks completed very nice.

nitro, that looks like SCX Digital with remote controlers to me

Ian

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi

has anyone got idea are those lionel model train light trees available in europe? If i order a package from usa, i´ll end up paying taxes for finnish customs.

·
Registered
228 Posts
that is a sweet little track, looks the business, as mentioned detail is great. Love the floodlights, what are they? I want some!

·
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the complements guys. I'm looking forward to moving on to the scenery. Actually, before that I will be weathering the track surface. I plan on painting lighter areas of grey that are to look like repaired sections of the paving. I will also use an airbrush to add some tire marks in the turns. I noticed a build up of rubber in the entrances to some of the slower turns when I was watching the telecast of Sebring this weekend.

The track is wired to run both digital and analog (at different times). It is Carrera track, with the digital system being Pro-X. The black box has been remotely located in one of the drawers located beneath the pit building.

I am using Carrera's wireless Pro-X controllers for the digital setup. The pit building does block the view of the pit lane from the opposite side of the table, but with the wireless controllers it's not much of an issue. Typically, drivers will spread out along the pit lane side of the track when the pit lane function is being used. The wireless controllers do allow for easier marshalling (something that is very beneficial the way I tend to drive). The two Mobil towers are the receivers for the wireless controllers and are wired directly to the #1 and #2 ports of the black box.

I have installed four remote drivers stations for analog controllers. They are located in the corners of the table. The location of the pit building is less of a concern for analog racing. The view that it blocks from the opposite side of the table is of the long straight. The beginning and end of the straight are visible which seems to work well for coming out of the last turn and entering the first turn. But, the locations of the drivers stations do allow one to drive from either side of the table. I find myself moving around from time to time for a change of view. At this time, I am using Parma Turbo controllers with 35 Ohm resistors. I have had them for a while and they seem to work okay. I will probably upgrade them when the track is complete and is not consuming so much of my slot car budget.

lauriperkele is correct, the floodlight towers are made by Lionel. Lionel is a toy train manufacturer here in the USA. Lionel primarily makes O gauge trains (1:48 approximately 1:48 scale). These towers actually work well with 1:32 slot cars. Here is a link to the Lionel catalog page showing the floodlight towers Lionel Floodlight Tower I believe that the Lionel web site has a dealer locator feature. You can access it by clicking on the "how to purchase our products" button on the linked catalog page. They appear to have dealers in England, France and Switzerland.

Thanks again for the kind words. I really appreciate your interest in my track.

Brad

·
Registered
38 Posts
QUOTE (Brad Korando @ 21 Mar 2006, 17:33)I believe that the Lionel web site has a dealer locator feature. You can access it by clicking on the "how to purchase our products" button on the linked catalog page. They appear to have dealers in England, France and Switzerland.

Thanks Brad. Hope to see your progress in scenery soon! Awesome pit building and nice-looking layout.

·
Tel
4,125 Posts
Man that looks great, can't wait for the scenery to start going on

All you guys are giving me an itch for a pernament track .. one I can't scratch as I have no room

·
Registered
138 Posts
hey brad, could you tell me what size 'board' your track is on, that track looks like the perfect balance of curves and straight, i wanto to build your layout as my layout, dont suppose youve got a track plan? thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Brad

Good work on the track !

We also use a Pro-X with 2 wireless control towers. We found out that using 2 towers creates a little problem with the countdown on the blackbox. In fact, as the box is counting down it will trigger a false start, a car would be spotted like it should be but without anyones intervention. Only turning the power off on the hand controllers until the 5th light solves our problem. Have you experienced something similar ?

Cheers

Jean

·
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again guys.

Jean: I have not had any problems with the two towers causing false starts. I have been using the towers for a few months now and so far, no trouble. I did have a problem with the towers receiving signals from the controllers. I couldn't get the tower to work on my track, so I took it to a friend's track and it worked fine. My friend's track is located in his garage, which happens to be dimmly lit. My track is under bright fluorescent lighting. When I returned to my track, I tried shielding the receiver sensors from the overhead light. The sensors started working! Now that I think about it, I never read the instructions for the receiver tower. Maybe they address this issue

Thin Lizzy: The table that the track is laid out on is 8'-0" x 17'-0". It could have been a little smaller, but I want to scenic the track and didn't want to rely on guardrails to keep the cars from plummeting to the floor. The screen wire that is on the photos above is temporary, until I can finish the scenery. When complete, the terrain will be bowled up slightly at the perimeter of the table. I do have a track plan that I made using the Carrera track planning freeware. Here's what it looks like.

A track plan at this scale is not very helpful. I'd be happy to email you the file. I think you could then open it up if you are using the Carrera software.

Let me know if you would like the file.

Best Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
344 Posts
Err, where's the paving then? I was expecting to get a master class in 1:32 slab laying

That aside, it's coming along nicely. I was taken aback when I first saw that pit building somewhere else online, so glad you post on here too so we can keep abreast of your progress.

Your attention to detail is second to none and I imagine your track will be the benchmark for all others once it is completed.

Thanks for sharing and keep up the excellent work.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Adding to the wireless controller problem (and not wanting to hijack the thread!) at the British toy fair in January we're were testing these at carrera's stand and on speaking to the german product engineer he told me that they had been experiencing prolems with them because of the overhead fluorescent lighting that was in the hall at the time. So they do know there is a problem.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.