SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi everyone,

wasn´t here for along time, because everything worked fine. But yesterday my PB didn´t work anymore. PB started but it is not possible to set IDs and make the cars to run. I opened it, and saw something was blown (picture).

So my question, does it make any sense to repair (for repairing I have to send it to UK and back), or better buy the 7042. We just race for fun with family and friends, liked to use the SSDC for racing.

Greetings from Munich,
Andi

·
Administrator
10,141 Posts
If my memory serves me right this was the anti reverse voltage protection on the board, so check your leads and your power supply - if you have reverse voltaged it for too long you may have fried something apartr from the shorting diode.

When you have got all the connections correct then remove the diode and check to see if it now works. I would think you will be OK. You will now have lost your reverse voltage protection, so you need to find a really high current diode to replace it if you want to do so, not normally necessary but if you reversed it once then it could happen again...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Riko,

I removed the diode and could see now the wires leading from black and red to the diode. Am I right, i can leave it this way? So I will test it this evening and report.

Thanks for quick answer and help,

Andi

·
Administrator
10,141 Posts
You can. The protection was a simple diode that would not conduct if the wires are the correct way round, but will provide a short circuit if the wires were wrongly connected - that is how I knew you had connected it the wrong way round.

If you run it without the diode it will work perfectly. If you want to do that then you MUST find a way of stopping anyone connecting it round the wrong way. Use different connectors or something.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi to Riko and all others,

unfortunately the same problem exists further. When i am connecting the PB to power everything seems to be okay, bright display and i can scroll through the menu. But when i put a car on the track for setting an ID something like a short circuit comes up. The display light gets lower, the buttons don´t react. Any Idea?

Thank you,
Andi

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Riko,

but if there is more to repair, what I can´t do myself, i think about buying the 7042.
By the way, there are to different kinds of cables connecting the new PB to PC , yours and RichGs. Am I right, with your cable it is not necessary installing the ftdi-drivers?

Greetings,
Andi

·
Administrator
10,141 Posts
Generally speaking yes, Windows had FTDI drivers in the system from XP SP3, so Vista and 7 standard build are OK. But... some laptops have custom versions of windows so occasionally there is a need to go and get drivers, but I link to an executable file that allows users to just click and it does all the installation for you - which is brilliant as not everyone is a PC genius....

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
QUOTE (Docandi @ 9 Mar 2012, 09:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>By the way, there are to different kinds of cables connecting the new PB to PC , yours and RichGs. Am I right, with your cable it is not necessary installing the ftdi-drivers?

Let's just make one thing clear here. The cables are apart from some cosmetic differences identical, the drivers / driver requirements are the same.

Rich

·
Administrator
10,141 Posts
Correct, there is only one chip set that works well enough for the reprogramming of the APB and that is FTDI, so both Rich's cables and mine use those electronics. My latest cables are more expensive as they are screened, but functionally they are (of course) the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts