SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, im wondering if anyone has taken apart a set of PCS wheels without damaging the inserts

and reassembled them again.

Any info greatly appreciated

cheers

Mac P

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
I did try as I wanted to paint some, completely ruined them. The insert is so thin that any pressure breaks the spokes

Tony

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I just ordered my first set of PCS spoked wheels for a pre war proxy build. I'd assumed that they were typical insert wheels that could be mounted to rotate independently. If the spokes can't be removed, it will be trickier to get a precise setup. Probably need to use stub axles with inner flange. Should be able to start working on the problem in a week or so when they arrive in the post.

·
Al Schwartz
3,390 Posts
If they are these:

https://www.pendleslotracing.co.uk/pcs-classic-spoke-alloy-wheels-25-5x7mm.html

The answer is yes. I inquired about disassembly and was informed by Pendles that it was not possible. That, of course, was all I needed to hear. (My son once remarked that a typical label: "Do not open No user serviceable parts inside" was a red flag to me) I used a sharp blade to gently pry off the out rim and the parts simply came out. Reassembly required turning a simple tool to fit just inside the rim piece and engage the flat surface without pressing on the spokes. The biggest challenge was maintaining the radial alignment of the two spoke frets during the process. I solved this with pinpoint drops of CYA between the two.

EM

·
Al Schwartz
3,390 Posts
Perhaps this is the problem: At first glance, these appear to be one piece wheels. The thin out rim that retains the spokes is very close fitting and the joint is not immediately apparent. It took some poking about with a thin Xacto blade to find the joint.

EM

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Good to hear that it has been done. I'll be getting my grubby paws on these exact wheels in a few days. I didn't even know that the spoke inserts were already pre-installed, I'd thought they were separate photo etch pieces.

Can anyone confirm that the wheels are aluminum and the inserts are steel? If so, maybe I could try heating the assembly to loosen the insert.

Matt

·
Al Schwartz
3,390 Posts
Good to hear that it has been done. I'll be getting my grubby paws on these exact wheels in a few days. I didn't even know that the spoke inserts were already pre-installed, I'd thought they were separate photo etch pieces.

Can anyone confirm that the wheels are aluminum and the inserts are steel? If so, maybe I could try heating the assembly to loosen the insert.

Matt
The etches are probably stainless steel but they will simply drop out when the outer (aluminum) rim is removed - no need for heat.

EM

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
I should have known that you would not give up Al.
I will look closer, but not a great problem now that I use the brass tube.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts