SlotForum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Pendle Porsche challenge round rapidly approaching, I'm thinking about car set up.

I reckon a Slot.It Porsche 956 with a sidewinder Slot.It 29k motor with 12/36 (3/1) gearing, small Slot.It hubs on the back with Slot.It P3 rubber.

Any ideas? Has anyone tried this before? What did you think? Any suggestions from Pendle racers?

Cheers guys

McLaren

PS. Is anyone going up there from the South? Just wondering if anyone wants to combine rides to save a bit of petrol money.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hey

Well, we can't give too much away can we? These visitors.... *sighs*

The Slot-It 956 is a good base, and those tyres you mentioned will do the job well.

As for the rest, I'll have to leave you to it. Need to make the most of home advantage
And also for the fact that I hadnt realised how near we are to this event! Ooops!

Motor blew last week, that wasnt in my budget

Cya trackside!

Jimmie

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi McLaren,
your set up sound ok, the slot.it porsches have won the last two rounds at hamilton and preston. last year nick hirst won the event with a FLY racer porsche GT1 98 but the proslot porsche GT3s were also very well placed. at the end of the day you need to be consistent and lap the circuit under 8.00 seconds to be up with the top guys.
jim.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm going up there and from London...

But I'm taking 4 other people in the car (Scenic) so no room left m8 sorry!

Regarding the setup... Play it safe... Take EVERYHTING!!! LOL...

Your gearing... I'm going to TRY 27:9 to get 3:1 for my inline config first and take it from there... The ratios we are using seem to be exactly the same. Add or take away a pinion tooth to suit the track once their...

The 'home boys' will know far more than us and they continue to keep tight lipped about it... I'd take a few gears as option - just in case. Remember, we get saturday for a free practice, so this is the only chance to learn the track and set your car up...

Regarding tyres: It was *suggested* the P2's had a bit too much grip (is there such a thing?) however, no-one seems to be saying P3's are over the top... (EDIT: FYI, The p3 has the MOST grip, P2 is less grippy, and P1 the LEAST grip. Ortman tyres (if they are not a banned item) are also supposed to be good????)

It's one of those things where you can only really assess it when you're there... I have suspisions that there is some mis-direction on these boards so you might want to not nessesarily believe everything you're being told if you gut-reaction is what you are being told makes no sense...

Anyway... us 'outsiders' will know soon enough!!! I have bigger problems however... They have no dials for loosening the brakes or current so I'm desperately trying to make my own... Need a choke box

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it's pretty shite that I'll be one without the little black box...

Must find a faster motor to compensate.

Mclaren

G

·
Hello, Southerners.

Jim Brown of Slot-tech will build you a box onto an existing controller for £25 and I must say that it is well worth the money.

Baz

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Na, it's not worth £25 for one, maybe two, meetings a year...

What's the rules about throttles anyway? Can I make my own with a cap in it?

What's the cap size limit? Can I have a battery in mine?

Mclaren

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm a so called "Home Boy"

Don't worry - I don't have one of those little black boxes, mainly because I can't afford one. I may add that I was second last year, a Parma Plus controller is all I have.

QUOTE I have suspisions that there is some mis-direction on these boards so you might want to not nessesarily believe everything you're being told if you gut-reaction is what you are being told makes no sense...

erm... I'd like to add that we welcome all visiting drivers and do not purposely mis-lead them. I have never given out wrong info'. We can only offer help, of course it is your choice to take it/disregard it.

P2 tyres

EDIT: ProSlot tyres run well.

All the best,
James
"Slot Racing on a Shoe String"

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE (James - Junior Racer @ 9 Sep 2004, 19:42)QUOTE I have suspisions that there is some mis-direction on these boards so you might want to not nessesarily believe everything you're being told if you gut-reaction is what you are being told makes no sense...

erm... I'd like to add that we welcome all visiting drivers and do not purposely mis-lead them. I have never given out wrong info'. We can only offer help, of course it is your choice to take it/disregard it.

P2 tyres

EDIT: ProSlot tyres run well.

All the best,
James
"Slot Racing on a Shoe String"
I have no doubts we'll all feel welcome...

Just saying I was amazed that p2's have been *suggested* to have *possibly* too much grip and thus will not AUTOMATICALLY believe EVERYTHING EVERYONE says on here regarding Pendle's track conditions, which is why I said the only way to be sure is to use the satuday test.

I'm sure everyone agrees, it's better to pack options and test them to decide for yourself what is the best package for racing than rely/trust the observations of others...

and when I said 'mis-direction' I mean that in terms of being unintentionally told something that may untimately be wrong, not 'mis-leading' which implies intent...

Whoah! Talk about Paranoid

Hey James... Is there going to be a 'shop' of sorts that we can buy spares from should somehting break? Will Pendle be pitching a small selection in case we need to make an emergency purchase (No idea how far away the shop is from the track)...?

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Regarding tyre choice, Slot.it P2's or Proslot rubber would be the popular choice. However, as you will see throughout the weekend the track conditions will change mainly due to the amount of rubber which will be deposited on the track surface, hence P2's could end up being too sticky.
Hopefully you will arrive in plenty of time to call in at the shop and stock up with all the spares you might need. I will also have a selection available on race day.
Hope you all have an enjoyable weekend
Sean

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Hold up...

Sean posting from another computer...? what's going on?

Anyway, goo to hear that the shop will be there on race day and all...

Got my room booked now (cheers Sean) and I'm staying at the Commercial in Colne. Where's everyone else staying?

McLaren

G

·
HI all.

I heard Intergrali whittering on about some slot it tyres for the front, god knows what he was on about.

Might have a look at running some sort of porsche with black round tyres.
Look forward to meeting everyone - again

Baz

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Guys,
we are running an open night at slot-tech raceway on friday 11th september from 7.00pm onwards. if you need any last minute practice and set up tips for pendle we will be happy to help.
jim.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I replied from nic's computer but forgot i was logged on with his user name.
Anyway the Commercial Hotel is located at the top of the hill in Colne town centre. Everyone else is staying at The Crown hotel at the bottom of the hill so its a 1/2mile walk uphill Saturday night for you. Should help to sober you up!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts