SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gerald Lambourn
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some years ago I built a Penelope Pitlane fold up chassis with S can motor. It carried a Betta Porsche 911 body that fitted the chassis width. Cornering was a sad disappointment even after loading up the front with ballast. I wonder if anyone has converted these to a rattle plate design with a loose connection between the two halves. This morning I thought one could be even more radical and cut away large parts of the chassis to save weight and add flexibility. Ideas welcome as I have two chassis still in their wrap.

·
Graham Windle
4,447 Posts
These were quite popular with the lads at Wolverhampton at one time as I recall , and went well so maybe a Wolves member can comment . Bill Charters perhaps enlighten us?

·
Kevs Racing Bits
3,553 Posts
I've split one in half and joined the two with 0.6mm piano wire so the front & rear could be flexed independently of each other and the body float also...it went well but got modified and modified and modified and in the end too far gone to be used

...I may get another and go back to the first stages again as I raced it for a couple of years without touching it.

·
Gerald Lambourn
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Kevan, pretty much what I was thinking of, the actual motor pod seems good, these chassis are probably superseded by 3D printing nowadays but I do like metal, seems more grown up!

·
John Roche
4,267 Posts
I've done the same with PP inline chassis, I'm sure it'll work for sidewinders or anglewinders.

I'm with you Gerald, I've no interest in chassis if they're not metal.

Cheers,

John

·
Kevs Racing Bits
3,553 Posts
We now have separate classes for plastic and non-plastic chassis cars in our club as the metal chassis ruled the roost. This gives the plastic chassis runners the chance to compete for top dog amongst themselves.

You can't beat a metal chassis if you want a car that will 'just work' every time you use it, the plastics seem prone to temperature and storage conditions but I do like 3D printing my own stuff to be different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts