SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the biggest drawbacks I hear cited about digital is incompatibilty with existing cars. But most people do some pretty serious customization, even if only to get the cars to run right.

I dont think most will have any problem adding a chip to their favorite FLY car. Of course having to switch between scaly and carrera digital will be a pain. This is no differnt than having differnt versions of a game for PS2 and Xbox. People deal with it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

What makes you think it is JUST Scalex or Carrera?

And, which cars? I have hundreds.

Where in these '60s F1s that we can barely build ANYTHING into are we supposed to put a chip, or rather several with switches?

Call back when there is a standard.

Fate

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Good though Davic surely IS, Nico, it isn't yet a standard. I'd bet there are far more SCX digital tracks already than there are Davic and, when Scalextric is released, who knows where we will end up.
A long way to go before a true standard is established.

·
Registered
522 Posts
QUOTE (ProfFate @ 23 Aug 2004, 17:14)Hi

What makes you think it is JUST Scalex or Carrera?

And, which cars? I have hundreds.

Where in these '60s F1s that we can barely build ANYTHING into are we supposed to put a chip, or rather several with switches?

Call back when there is a standard.

Fate
It wont effect me. I'm looking forward to it. I only have ~25 analog cars, most of them shelf queens anyway.

I guess standardization doesnt bother me. I'm interested in the carrera offering and if it works well, then thats all I need. My friends dont have tracks and if some want to try it, I can lend them a car or tell them to buy a carrera digital car.

If you have MANY analog cars, then just fit your favorites and swap chips between them. This is not unlie swapping resistors in a controller.

If you need a digital F1, carrera will have quite a few. Or glue the cip under the wing on your vintage F1 (gasp)

People will learn to deal with it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That's why it would be great to have a standard...we wouldn't have to learn to deal with it.

I have about 15 cars at the moment and it would be expensive to chip all my cars...if I swap the chips in and out all the time I would not be able to just put a car on a track and run it like I enjoy doing it.

I am very interested in the digital concept but I will not be buying any of it until the market has settled down and we can see which is best.

Alan

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats probably a good idea. Im going to be a carrera guinea pig but theres a chance they could stop supporting it and it would be obsolete if a standard emerged.

I think the carrera track is so much better suited to digital that with the level of support they are giving it, it will emerge as the standard in the USA.

Obvisouly, on the other side of the pond scaly will dominate because everyone already has the track.

I think it will be like the PS2 / Xbox thing and a standard will not emerge.

I'm really looking forward to it though!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

Right now, when I travel, I can drop into any track in the world and run my cars.

At least part of the FUN here is this:am I doing something better/worse than YOU?

6 years ago, EM and I had not met, but were chatting on line about racing before the "Fad". Ca 58-63, racing was commonly someone stealing motors from a RR locomotive, scratch chassis, and a merit Shelf model body.

So, we got together. My Maserati was built in the Philippines in '62. His Vanwall was built in NY in 62. 10,000 miles apart, and, guess what, we could RACE.

Then or now!

In '62, as far as I know, I was the ONLY slot racer in the Philippines. In late '63, I came to the states and spent a couple months crossing the country to North Carolina. And every track I could find, I could RUN THAT CAR. No prior prep, no communications. My CAR WORKED.

So, now in the world of digital, what? Just my favorites? '61 Ferrari Sharknose and 56 Lancia with Mono F1 gear...ok, room for chips. But currently, I need how many chips in the box for them. Or all connected with a rotary swich...I KNOW, if the driver head is looking LEFT, it is DAVIC, if forward SCALEY, if RIGHT, Carrera, if back Ninco, if....well I hope that is all. '66 Ferrari glas body, Ks motor...no WINGS, I guess I could tape a chip to the top and run the wires through the drivers nose.

Just my 15 favorite cars with 4 chips apiece at $20 each, a mere $1200 and leave the other 200 cars I usually travel with HOME.

Love the Brave New World.

Fate

·
Registered
168 Posts
Re: chip changing.

Perhaps it's addressed in some message I haven't read yet (being still on page 12 of the forum), but I'm concerned about the wear & tear involved in changing out chips.

Even if spade lugs are used, over time, the connections will get worse. To the extent that digital requires a good connection to avoid dropping packets, that means that the longer I go on swapping chips, the worse my digital delay becomes.

In the long run, I'd probably only be happy with a permanent connection, and would most likely either solder the connections, or else use Stabilant-22 (a very expensive contact enhancer used by railroaders, high-end audio enthusiasts, and computer hardware geeks). Either approach is not likely to be part of the average user's habits.

Marcus

·
Registered
18 Posts
IMO, the only way you will see standardization is either

1. When one of the vendors achieves market dominance with their digital implementation, or

2. When one vendor has established their product as a "de facto" standard by licensing their digital chip to more car manufacturers than others.

I wonder whether or not 3rd party car manufacturers will support multiple digital implementations... it's entirely a matter of market demand and how savvy Carrera, NINCO, SCX and Scalextric are.

If I were running the show, I'd pursue a very aggressive campaign of licensing to make my digital implementation very attractive to car builders. I'd introduce smaller chipsets that were cheaper to build and easier to incorporate into car designs.

Then I'd publish a roadmap to them (under NDA) of new chipset features to keep these guys on-board.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts