SlotForum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of the FLY classics are of differnt performance and configurations. The older classics have the hinged chassis that lets you adjust the magnet height. The newer ones have a flat chassis but stickier tires.

There are lots of ways to performance match cars, but I was wondering if anyone has ever sttempted to create a set of rules that would equalize cars.

I raced with a group that ran a classic lemans series which included FLY classics and scalectric GT40s. Beyond some unmentionable problems with the racing league, the idea was good, but not enough effort was put towards equalizing the cars, which led most winners to run certain models of cars while passing on others.

I have been racing with the SCCA (1:1 scale) and I know that with their "showroom stock" classes they impose limitations on certain cars and improvements to other ones to help equalize the playing field, this way alot of differnt makes and models can be competitive.

If enough care were taken to test various models of cars, and performance match them, I believe an equal field could be obtained with seup rules for each car.

Basically, cars would generally be required to run stock magnet, and stock tires, and if a car were found to be too competitive, it would need to carry extra weight. If it werent fast enough, it might be allowed to use better tires. Something like that.

Anyone ever tried this?

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Easiest would be to simply say box stock and penalise fast runners whilst aiding slower ones as you say but be careful you don't go overboard you will NEVER get any two cars running identically and I don't believe you should be trying.

I think you will find most Fly Classics are reasonably on a par no matter the age (GT40 MK1 excepted) with some having faster top speed whilst others are better in the curves. We run stock Fly classic without magnet and you usually see Lolas, Chevrons, Ferrari 512 short tails and Porsche 908s on the grid. No matter how you try and balance cars there are simply some that are preferable to race than others.
Going onto later marques but staying with Fly for examples sake, you can try seperating by chassis set up

Fly GT front engined, Fly GT rear engined for example.

Have fun and let us know how you get on with the weight penalty system.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem with the FLY classics is that the magnet height is differnt in all of them. I think taking the magnets out may be the key.

I think if magnets are removed, spec tires are used, and a minimum weight is established, that most cars will be very similar.

·
Registered
752 Posts
QUOTE (darainbow @ 23 Nov 2004, 07:50)The problem with the FLY classics is that the magnet height is differnt in all of them. I think taking the magnets out may be the key.

I think if magnets are removed, spec tires are used, and a minimum weight is established, that most cars will be very similar.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldn't agree more

re: weight - adding weight is a recognised practise in 1:1 racing to equalise (penalise!) success.

re: tyres - I would suggest a 'control' tyre to be used. Not all Fly classic tyres are created equal

re: mags - In my experience, a Fly 512 with NSR tyres on the back is nothing short of a joy to drive WITHOUT the magnet.

-Rob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts