SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully the following is of interest to some of you. It's not the last word in scenic modeling, but it should provide some fun for the kids. With the credit crunch and the general feeling of trying not to spend too much this xmas, I decided to treat my boys (aged 6 and 11 x 2) to a permanent Scalextric layout using my old classic track in the loft. Using an 18mm thick MDF board of 8'x4' and a few extra pieces of classic track off ebay, this track is being constructed in my parents garage out of prying eyes. All I've got to do is find the time to finish it and then transport it xmas eve under cover of darkness to it's new home in my garage!

I didn't want it to be too detailed, just enough to add some atmosphere and be tough enough to stand up to 'enthusiastic' driving. As the kids get older we can always add more to the layout.

The elevated sections are made using 6mm MDF with bendy MDF used around the edges to give a sort of 60's concrete effect. These sections are screwed from underneath the board into the pillars. It's important for me to keep the cars on the board and not on the floor - hence the protective walls!

The first pic is a trial run. I have since decided against the Scalextric lap timer and gone for the Ninco N-scorer which can be added in front of the pit lane later on. At this point I still needed to trim the board and extend it a few cms at the far end.

The second pic has the board extended and trimmed. I have soldered wires on onto the power straight and have attached these to the power pack which is now screwed underneath the board on the left. I made a pit area from 6mm MDF painted gloss grey which fits neatly around the two Carrera pit garages. It adds a little more to the layout and provides somewhere to put the cars.

I have now added the grass mat and crash barriers and even the first of the trees. Just waiting on a pic to be sent from my Dad and I'll post it later.

Hope you like it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Very nice - I remember some of the most fun I had with my Dad when I was young was with his classic Scalextric set - he lived in a townhouse just after he and my mother divorced (not that he was short on cash by any means, but it wasn't the roomiest place, as townhouses never are), but he always made sure the Scalextric set was up when I was there on weekends, and we always raced. Just hope your boys don't have the same problem I remember I used to have - always had the one corner that I crashed on, I could never slow down enough to take it.

I'm sure your boys will be absolutely thrilled with that, and hopefully it provides you with plenty of hours of fun.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure they will be plenty of crashes to start with. Hopefully they will practice and get better!

Anyway... new pic. As I mentioned before, the scenic matt has been glued down, Ninco crash barriers and fencing added along with a couple of trees. I have used hot glue on the back of the barriers where they join to give them more strength. The trees aren't to scale, but the track will fold up against the garage wall eventually, so height is restricted to about 15cms. Just another 47 to plant!

Not much left to do now - pin the track down, add the advertising boards, fit the clear perspex around the edges (extra safety!) and maybe a few tyre walls.

I can't do anymore on it for a couple more weeks, but I'll update this thread when I have done more. I hope the kids like it!

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
What a fantastic present!!! The children are bound to have hours of fun.....as will you I am sure

Great craftsmanship and don't worry about the tress not being to scale. In my experience they add "atmosphere" to a layout regardless of size.

I look forward to seeing the completed project.

Cheers,

Philip

·
Peter Rondel
6,022 Posts
that's a superb track!! man the kids will be blown away by this!!! I would put some small dots of glue on the safetybarrier. its just out of reach and it will come of easily.
I really like the pitlane. simple and effective.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the positive comments. I agree about the safety barriers needing a little glue. I'm going to go around the whole track with my hot glue gun to make it as 'bomb proof' as possible!

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
I did something like this for my kids a few years ago. One of their most memorable christmas presents. It looks great, and I'm sure they'll love it. Bravo.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I know someone who will be very happy this Christmas, well done! The track looks great, it just proves how simple (in a positive way) you can do it to make it look great. Good luck and have a fun Christmas.
Per

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Brilliant.
Amazing.
Fantastic.
How long has it taken to get to this point?
How are you going to transport it?
Will you keep it covered with a dust sheet between now and then?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (Graymalkin33 @ 19 Nov 2008, 17:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Brilliant.
Amazing.
Fantastic.
How long has it taken to get to this point?
How are you going to transport it?
Will you keep it covered with a dust sheet between now and then?
It's taken about 16 hours to get this far. I thought it all out in my head and on paper for a few months before starting which has helped. It will be transported in my brother-in-laws transit van with plenty of packaging material! I have a couple of dust sheets over it at the moment but the wife will be making a dust sheet for it ready for xmas.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (TR7_Driver @ 19 Nov 2008, 20:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Love the track, can you advise where you got the grass matt from, as I am looking for something similar.
It's made by Woodland Scenics and I got it from my local model shop. About £18 in total but it does cover the 8'x4' board in one go.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (ThaiRacer @ 20 Nov 2008, 13:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great present! What type of adhesive did you use to lay the grass mat?
I used PVA to start with. It will hold it down, but if you catch your finger nail on the edge, it lifted fairly easily. I then used Woodland Scenic mat adhesive around the edges just to be sure. I should have used this in the first place really, it's like water but extremely sticky and the small pot would have covered the whole board.

·
René &#39;Vialli&#39; Christensen
4,861 Posts
Nice present!!!
Don't give the boys the present as the first thing or they will not notice the rest of the presents!!!

(Just think you should have gone for digital, so all of you could race at the same time!)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (Slotrace.dk @ 21 Nov 2008, 07:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice present!!!
Don't give the boys the present as the first thing or they will not notice the rest of the presents!!!

(Just think you should have gone for digital, so all of you could race at the same time!)
Thanks for all the comments - don't worry, they can open their cars first and get confused as to how they are going to use them!

If the boys get captivated by it (as I did as a kid), we can always upgrade to Digital next year. I like the look of the Ninco track. For now, it made more sense to use the track I already had - although I spent a few hours with the Plebys to get it to look like this.

Just got some tyre walls through the post and figures from those nice people at the Tarn Model Foundry are on there way. Should be back over my parents at the end of the month to finish things off. That then gives me 24 days of testing - just to make sure everything is working OK you understand!

·
David Jessett
255 Posts
HI. Great track and very nicely made.

I remember when my son got into Scalextric. He really loved making it look more realistic. In fact in the end he talked me into starting up a small hobby business making scenic accessories for Scalextric, alongside the day job. Looks like you are more than capable of doing your own.

I'm sure the kids will love it.

(To some extent I agree about the digital thing. It really adds something to run more than two cars at once.)

David

1 - 20 of 194 Posts