SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'll look totally inept, but when wanting to communicate with other SF members what's the difference between "send email" and "send a personal message" ?

I'm asking this because I have a feeling that several emails I've sent were not received

Beppe

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
E-mail sends a message to their e-mail account, so they will get the message when they check their email program. Personal message sends a message via Slot Forum, which they will be able to read when they log on to the Forum. My personal message is set up so it sends me an e-mail saying 'you have a message on slot forum' in case i check my email before i check slot forum.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
What Astro says is correct. I'll add that sometimes people change email addresses. If that is the case the message will not get through and you won't know as it is the server that sends the message not you so the server will receive the error message if any.

Sometimes email from the server is blocked by some ISP's who blacklist other ISP's due to Spam. This is unfortunate and shows how short-sighted some people are.

If the email doesn't seem to work, use PM's.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
My old email address blockled SF emails, subsequently I had to get Nuro to confirm my registration rather then following the link in the registration email.

Nuro, is there any option to unhide the emails, so that people can see the address rather than have to go through the board? I think it would be much easier that way, but can't seem to find the option...

McLaren

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I'm relieved (the other measure I was contemplating was changing aftershave..)

Thanks
Beppe

·
Registered
714 Posts
QUOTE is there any option to unhide the emails, so that people can see the address rather than have to go through the board? I think it would be much easier that way, but can't seem to find the option...
That option doesn't exist at User Level and imho, although it might seem 'easier', it should never be enabled at Admin Level, as it would then expose everyone's address, whether they wanted that or not.
I would definitely not.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Don't worry, look at my profile for my own solution

I don't care if people see my email address. If the worst comes to the worst, I have to block an email address which sends me silly emails, but that's not exactly challenging. I (for once) have faith in people, although I might be proved wrong.

McLaren

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
QUOTE OK, I'm relieved (the other measure I was contemplating was changing aftershave..)

Oh, I'm sure we can advise you on that score, too!

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE Oh, I'm sure we can advise you on that score

from you, I would expect Old Spice, no doubt !!

·
Registered
714 Posts
This isn't just about other forum members contacting.
Displaying an Email address is the single best way there is of attracting 100 plus spams per day and that's the real reason why it's generally considered unwise to do so.

BTW, thanks to Nuro for that reassurance!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Hmmm.... never had any spam on this account yet, and I don't want to.

I am now reminded of a comment someone made about search engines picking up on email addresses on forums to add to spam address databases.

I'm gonna change it back, but my faith in fellow man has been knocked...

McLaren

1 - 14 of 14 Posts