SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

Maya was finally diagnosed with encephalo-myelitis, a complication that can happen after chicken-pox. In short it is a brain-infection that targets the nerve-cells, blocking off the transmission from the brainstem to the rest of the body.

Because Maya's case was so acute, she went in a sub-coma for 2 weeks. A terrifying period for any parent. Then suddenly, Maya moved one of her legs !

The doctors decided to take another MRI-scan to determine if any brain-damage had occurred. Fortunately, the infection had retreated and nothing indicated that she wouldn't come back to normal in 1 to 3 months (or even longer).

Only, they forgot that my little girl is a fighter and in only 1 week she gradually regained control of all of her limbs until she could sit up in bed again. And last Friday she mumbled : one, two, three, four...

The doctors were so dazzled by her progress that they decided to let her come home for the weekend ! We have never had a more joyful weekend than that...
From the first moment on, she recited all of her songs she had learnt at school !
Although her speech was a little slurred, we could make out most of the
words...amazing !
When she had to return to hospital on Monday, the medical staff decided that her progress was so incredibly fast that she would be better off at home. Over the past few days Maya has learnt to eat and drink again, so we can do away with the tube in her nose through which she got liquid food directly in the stomach.

To conclude, Maya has made an amazing recovery, better than anyone could have hoped for and although she can't walk yet or speak as before, she is back !
My wife will have to go to hospital daily for her fysio- and speechtherapy for the next month or so but we really don't care. It is only time...

With this letter I want to thank EVERYBODY on this forum for their continuing support, it really helped us to get through a very dark period.
THANK YOU !!!!!!

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Fantastic news!!! Congrats to Maya for being such a fighter and continued good will to her, you and the entire family!!

I can only try to imagine what you've been through, but it's truly great to hear that there's a happy ending!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think it's amazing that one little girl can have so many "crazy" slot racers all over the world praying for her. Miracles happen and Maya is one of them. I'm so happy for this family. I'm also very proud of all of you slot car nuts.

In Christ,
Kenny "RecycledHumanoid" Williams

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Yves,

I am SO happy to hear that! Not much can beat that news! The brain and a child's capability is an amazing combination. She'll be whipping you at slotcars in no time.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You just dont get news any better than this

Puts everything else into perspective as someone who has recently had a little baby boy suffer a lesser ailment yet non the less as worrying this is the perfect way to start a day !!!!

Well done little Maya and heres hoping for a full and speedy recovery !!!!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Fantastic Yves, all the best for all of you!!!
grtzz,
martin

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.