SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
A pretty short competition history and only very subtle difference between it's only two liveries mean a slot car version of the Dome would not be a great business idea. Shame as I love it and you never know Scaleauto brought that Radical out.

I fairly convincing reliveried 908 may look OK.

I assume Slot it will get round to more versions of the old trusty Lola.

·
Registered
730 Posts
QUOTE (Screwneck @ 19 Jun 2012, 16:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Why do all the Le Mans prototype cars look so much like each other, and how can folks appreciate one over the other? Is it a colour thing, or what?
Don't really know what you mean, an Audi, Dome and an HPD look nothing like each other??

the Dome, Lola and Toyota have much in common but if your CFD machine is any good then you would hope the answers it comes up with would be similar to the 908 because it was the dogs.

Did you notice the size of the front wheels on the HPD were the same size as the rear? Because ultimate aero was not considered as important as mechanical grip in the ALMS it was conceived for? One example of why this is the most interesting formula around IMHO.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
QUOTE (Screwneck @ 19 Jun 2012, 16:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Why do all the Le Mans prototype cars look so much like each other...?
Except for the Delta Wing, I agree they do all look rather similar although open and closed cars look distinctly different.
Surely that's for much the same reason as F1s all look rather similar
The rules are quite restrictive. There are max and/or min dimensions for so many many parts of the bodywork (and the tyres), as most designers agree which way the advantage lies they push it close to the limits.
Aerodynamics are a vital for performance, everybody will try and push in a direction that works best which tends to be rather similar for all the cars.
The designers all have a close look at each other's work, copy the ideas that work well and dispense with those that don't.
But of course there are open and closed options, - each develops in slightly different directions.

·
Mike Newns
629 Posts
I would say that LMP cars do not look the same. The Audi is very different from the Toyota and both are very different to the Lola. You may get the impression looking at the field that they are all similar as most of the privateers use 1 of three chassis (Oreca, HPD or Zytec). So this is some similarities but also quite a variation but no less than in any other period in history.

My opinion only.

Mike

·
Gary Skipp
6,537 Posts
You guys saying the cars look the same need to go to specsavers.. They do so no more or less that any racing field at any other point in history

You can use the Scalextric 'Start' LMP car to make a good go at the Dome S102. I did so with the original livery, it looks pretty reasonable

·
Registered
730 Posts
On the above note, can anybody think of a Pescarolo or Courage car from the last decade that Patto produces decals for? The theory being many of the sponsors Motul/LaSarthe should be the same and may help a printer less person such as me produce a re livery. I've had a quick look and can find nothing, I think an AFX 908 (ho) is begging to pretend it's a Dome.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts