Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just had a go at making my own chassis using pewter. It needs a little trimming but turned out a lot better than I had thought it would.

CAD router chassis on building insulation foam with 2mm slot drill

Foam clamped in place

Melting the pewter in an old pan, scrapping the scum off the top

Poured in and awaiting cooling

MDF removed

I'll see now if everything fits!!

Regards, Alan

·
Registered
826 Posts
Interesting idea. You could also use silicone for the mould and plastic for the material. Smooth-on have something called OOMOO and Task 9 plastic which should be strong enough. I'll be experimenting with this stuff over the next few weeks or so.

Randy

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The foam is slightly damaged by the heat so it's OK for a one off latter ones show less detail - that was the case when I made some pendants. Pewter's melting point is 230 - 250 degrees C so not that relatively hot. The thinnest cross-section on the chassis (disregarding any shrinkage) is 2mm - I may try playing about with gusset plates and triangulation with my next attempt so as to keep the weight down although, I'm going to make this model up and try it out first. I'm not too concerned that I'll be adding any extra weight to keep it on the track though!!

Alan

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A bit of an update. Poor measuring by myself put the slots for the front axle bearings in the wrong place but I sure with some epoxy and something to fill the gap everything will work out.

Milling out motor slot

Glued in motor

1 - 7 of 7 Posts