SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I received sham emails from Steve Ward, Steve Francis and Paul Leyshon.

Contact with Paul showed that he had had similar mails, and on trying to open the pictures, he found there was a competition type site, presumably money earning. I could not open the pictures myself, presumably my computer did not trust the mail.

Is there a security issue with the Forum or has someones address book been hi-jacked?

Peter

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Peter, were the emails from 'free' email services ie) hotmail, gmail, yahoo etc? Or were they ISP related email addresses?

If ISP services then they should be secure and there is a problem. If 'freemail' it is not an uncommon problem. It's not right, but it's one of the risks of freemail.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
No issues with the forum.

I sometimes receive spam from members' accounts - basically accounts being hacked or address books getting in to the hands of spammers. Usually, the spam is addressed to web @ sf.com or admin @ sf.com

Regarding dubious messages, spam or phishing messages, or even messages that come from people you don't know: Never open any attachment, never load images, never click any links and don't even try and unsubscribe.

- All you will end up doing is confirming your email address. It then becomes 10 times it's worth as it is now a validated email address.
- Attachments may contain viruses and worms
- Images may be coded and upon loading, inform the sender that the email has been read and they the email is now good

If someone's email is hacked or compromised, you may get email from them as in this case. Usually the message will indicate the nature of the email. So be careful.

Always look at the status-bar to see the real URL of any link before clicking it. If you are not 100% sure of it, don't click it.

Invest in a good Internet security system. You get what you pay for, so you are guaranteed nothing with free systems. Make sure your emails are checked and make sure you have a decent firewall in use.

Use a decent email client. Use filters, these will save time and minimize spam and junk mail getting through.

If what I say makes no sense, don't use computers.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Having a webmail account hacked is fast becoming one of life's new certainties and there's little that can be done to avoid it. The important thing is to know what to do if you receive a dodgy looking mail - I got one from one of the guys today too. The key thing is DO NOT CLINK ON ANY LINKS. If you do you'll be taken to a site full of unpleasant malware waiting to take control of your machine or siphon off data. Just delete the mail and then empty your "Deleted" folder to make sure. If it's your account that's been hacked then change your password immediately and make sure it's a strong one - at least 8 characters long and a mix of special characters and upper case.

The mails sent today were no fault of the forum, just an account being hacked and then all the contacts being automatically mailed.

Cheers all and safe surfing!

Roger

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Embs, Doug and Roger.

Not the worlds best re. IT, I was concerned that the problem was me.

The mails were all indeed of hotmail origin. I'm with BT, so hope i am not the cause.

My concern was that all 3 suspect mails were from Forum members, but I guess we all have many Forum members' mail addresses in our contact lists and such a list must be the source of these mails.

We live and learn....

Peter

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
Hi Peter, no you are not the cause. i saw an email from one of the guys mentioned who i know well, thought nothing untoward, innocently opened it, and then my hotmail account suddenly went mad and sent it to everyone on my contact list. i then spent the evening apologising to people who wondered what it was. So if anyone got this s**t in their inbox, sorry. I wish there was a button we could press that would send it back from where it came from and their damn p.c. would explode taking these lowlifes with it!

·
Phil Smith
2,638 Posts
I got two mails, from Steve Francis and Steve Ward.
I am not sure why you guys open these things, they were obviously dodgy, totally unsolicited with no text or explanation of what what they were!
With one saying 'hey' in the title and the other 'check this'
I deleted them immediately.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
QUOTE (steve francis @ 17 Jan 2012, 00:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Peter, no you are not the cause. i saw an email from one of the guys mentioned who i know well, thought nothing untoward, innocently opened it, and then my hotmail account suddenly went mad and sent it to everyone on my contact list. i then spent the evening apologising to people who wondered what it was. So if anyone got this s**t in their inbox, sorry. I wish there was a button we could press that would send it back from where it came from and their damn p.c. would explode taking these lowlifes with it!
Steve, your computer is now infected with a virus or worm. Go down to the shops and buy something like Norton Anti-virus or even better Norton Internet Security. Follow instructions and boot up your computer using the included CD. Don't just download the software, get the bootable CD in the box. If you don't do this, it will happen again.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
yup, I got the same email from you, Steve...what does it say about today's world that I "noticed" you were infected, deleted it without opening and moved on without losing a step. My only second thought was, "hmmm, I must be listed in Steve's address book." *grin*

Btw..."mbam" (the malwarebyte's antimalware that phil recommended) is good stuff!

John

·
Registered
270 Posts
As far as AV for your PC is concerned I'm a big fan of buying something from a recognised vendor - Symantec (Norton) and Trend have especially good and user-friendly products at the moment but Kaspersky is also pretty easy. I have no connections with these companies and I'm certainly not on commission (!) but:
1 - I prefer products to freeware as the R&D behind them is usually far better and so the updates and user experience is usually much better too. That's not to say that IT savvy individuals can't get good security from freeware but it takes more effort.
2 - all of those products are available on special offer from a well known high street computer shop in the UK (enough product plugs from me now) and a license that will cover up to 3 machines for 12 months can be bought for £30 or so. Not even a quid a day to protect all the data you have on your machines and ensure all your apps will run correctly.

If you're using the Internet you really, really owe it to yourself to get some decent security. In historical terms the current day Internet is more like Dodge City in the Wild West - you need to protect yourselves.

Cheers all,

Roger

·
Tel
4,090 Posts
I disagree most strongly - Norton and McAfee are now bloated pieces of junk that cause more issues than they stop !

My PC's have, for at least the last 6 years, been run exclusively on Malwarebytes and Spybot for spy/adware.
Avast and more recently switched to AVG for anti-virus.

All of the above are free and unobtrusive, light on system resources, yet very effective.

Just my 2p worth

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.