SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
On Sunday 28 March 2004 Phoenix Scalextric Circuit will host a very special event to which you are all invited. The Get Slotted Scalextric Festival 2004. The event will combine slot racing with the real drivers from the current British GT Championship and F3 and Formula Renault, plus opportunities to view in the flesh a BAR F1 and Ultima GT car from the Phoenix sponsored Master Motorsport GT Team. The TVR team will also be there with two cars from the GT Championship. Also you can meet and race against the real drivers or even get Shane Lynch to sign your scalextric TVR!

This event is non profit making and will raise money for The British Lung Foundation as well as raise awareness of the hobby and be superb fun and competitive racing and includes a number of displays to keep you busy and top class trade. An entrance fee of £5 per person will be charged to gain access to the site and includes all facilities including free and secure parking for an all day event. The event will open to the public and racers at 9.00 with the first races starting at 11 am. Up until 11 am. Visiting racers may practise on the competition circuit in open practise. Times for other races will be determined by the number of entrants on the day. Full rules are posted further on in this topic and I can be contacted on 07949 656577 or e mail me at [email protected] The new Phoenix web site is up up and running at www.phoenixscalextriccircuit.com In addition we will have mobile circuits set up to run seperate and fun competitions for home racers. Bring along your favourite GT,Rally and F1 cars to take part and win prizes.

Adrian Norman will be presenting an over view of latest Scalextric developments and hosting a question and answer session. Scalextric are kindly donating prizes for the four racing classes consisting of a Le Mans set for each of the four class winners and a Toyota F1 for 4 x second placed and 4 x 3rd placed racers. The racing classes have been designed in such a way as to attract both experienced club and home racer as well as newbies. I believe that we will see some of the best drivers in Great Britain taking part.

Roger Gillham is also attending and will be available to discuss the new 6th edition of his superb book, due for release 4 th September at the Goodwood revival.

There will also be a trade element present by invitation only. This will consist of professional retailers, PENDLE SLOT RACING and GET SLOTTED. A small number of high quality swap meet NSCC members will also be invited on the basis of providing cars for sale or swap that are deleted or hard to find. They will not be selling cars that are currently available from retailers.

I will be adding to the attractions of this event from this point onwards but will update this thread as I proceed. Jim Brown from Slot Tech will be demonstrating his skills and wizardry. Jexy will present an NSCC Stand displaying a historic collection. Mac Pinches will present the Pre Ad products, Rail Racer will present a display based on the origins of the hobby. srapaul (Paul Leyser) will provide a six lane track for public use and will present the SRA range. Sean will present an SCX digital track for use and demonstration of this new product. Slot 32 Uk will present a public participation Ninco 4 lane circuit to hold a competition and assist racers in setting up cars for a Ninco surface. In addition Slot 32 will also be demonstrating the Kelvin Light test bench and camera car. There will be a R/C circuit and shop set up for public participation.

Total security and medical cover will be provided by Sword Security Services with controled access to our site and secure and free parking. I ask you to cooperate with the staff who are there to help you enjoy a great day out in a safe environment.

A free pick up and drop off courtesy bus is available to bring you to the event if you arrive in Redditch by Bus/Train/hitched, Call 07949 656577 and look out for the Phoenix blue vehicle with PHOENIX stickers on it.

There will be two catering vans to keep you looked after , selling a variety of hot and cold food. There will also be an Ice cream van.

Television and press coverage will also be part of the day and aimed at promoting the hobby, co ordinated by Tim bailey, Phoenix Public Relations officer. Contact Tim 07949 656577 for all PR queries. Alex Riley, presenter of "Short Circuits" will be there too. `Be a Grand Prix Driver` t.v. series winner Mark Johnston is also racing with us.

I wanted to let you have the basic details asap. So If possible, make a date to take part. You will all be very welcome and perhaps Doug may wish to evolve an SF meeting/promote Slot Forum for which I am very willing to assist him.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Def. date. More details next week. I`m thinking lots of different races with an exsclusive SF members race? We can set up a poll to see what class SF people want to race and I`m happy to go with the majority.

Int I don`t like which venue
that`s nort right mate as I have no problem with any venue other than sometimes they struggle to fit us all in mate. Confused Jonny S

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AHhhhhh. Not right mate. They are great bunch of lads up there. They could not fit all of the Phoenix racers into their venue so how could we take part in a series of races when we couldn`t get into that round? The club could not come up with a way of drawing straws or similar so we decided as a club to pull out of the Porky Challenge for that year. Shame but that`s all there was to it. Now step forward Mr John Stewart who likes to write stuff as it isn`t and call it a `spat` between clubs. Not true like most of his written work turned to toilet paper. Come and race at ours and meet the Phoeniix lads, they are a great and sociable bunch and good racers too!

I`m thinking a non mag GT Class to the Slot tech rules as a basis for an Sf race, just to get the ball rolling?

·
Registered
325 Posts
sounds like a superb idea Jonny. I'd like the chance to visit your club again, I was at the last Porsche Challenge held there, racing was good, couldn't forget the final! with Ross McKie and Paul Derby (that's the right name isn't it? sorry if i've got it wrong). Good racing, I was just a little off the pace tho (to say the least!)
i had a 6-wheeler the year before that.

keep up the good work! hope everything comes together ok for you all.
I'll go and have a word with my dad about getting there, he's taking me to North Staffs the weekend before, so I might be pushing my luck

ooo no magnets please!
more skill involved that way in my opinion

James

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I remember you young man and your 6 wheeler...excellent. That race you described correctly was awesome wasn`t it. You would be very welcome any time and I would genuinely like to see you take on the likes of some of our top Juniors like `Flying Ad`s` and `Smokin Joe` and `Mad Dog` to name but a few.

I agree on the non mag issue but feel that to be all inclusive we will cover both mag/non mag for both Junior and Senior racing.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
mag
although, I just need to find a way.. and my motors bust!

Mad Dog.. was gonna suggest thats fitting for me, but I would just go for power crazed lunatic!

I'll show ya up, but may not be able to make it for the porker challenge is on the weekend before so the ole parents might not take kindly to it so may have to fund it meself.. hmm oh well

Rob.
p.s James remember dose axles kidder!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just to add that any ideas received are welcome. If you fancy playing with the latest gear then I could also ask Luca to display the SCX Digital for us to play with?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
QUOTE I would genuinely like to see you take on the likes of some of our top Juniors like `Flying Ad`s` and `Smokin Joe` and `Mad Dog` to name but a few.

I took on some of the Phoenix top Juniors today (all of those named above in fact and more) and they beat me! Jonny S lent me his top "no mags" WRC car and even though I won a race and had 2 second places overall I still got beat. Managed to beat "Birchy" though just by 1 point even though he normally beats me at home. I think I was 7th overall out of 26. I must admit it was rather different to have all the kids chanting a chorus "Moped, Moped" when I won a race!

Some of you should experience that some time. In fact if you turn up that weekend you may do! Thats the sort of atmosphere that Jon has going at Phoenix. I can picture it now. All the Slotforum members chanting "Moped, Moped" when I win a race. It is destined to remain a picture I suspect! However, it could be amusing to hear the names of other Slotforum members being chanted when they win!

Jonny S is planning on putting on a cracking show and Adrian Norman may be bringing a few prototype MotoGP bikes along and other goodies to entertain folk with. But is Adrian going to take part in the "Phoenix Challenge"?

In fact it all sounds so good that Jon has talked me into turning up!

Moped

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I didn't take the camera on this occasion as it was a junior race day with 2 or 3 adults present keeping order (with a bit of tough Army style dicipline in fact. Amazing but it worked! The threat of being removed from the club and put in the sin bin was always enough to restore order! Teachers and parents could learn a lot from the Phoenix style of junior management) but no doubt there will be plenty of photo opportunities on the event day at the end of March.

Moped

1 - 20 of 265 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.