SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,052 Posts
QUOTE I would genuinely like to see you take on the likes of some of our top Juniors like `Flying Ad`s` and `Smokin Joe` and `Mad Dog` to name but a few.

I took on some of the Phoenix top Juniors today (all of those named above in fact and more) and they beat me! Jonny S lent me his top "no mags" WRC car and even though I won a race and had 2 second places overall I still got beat. Managed to beat "Birchy" though just by 1 point even though he normally beats me at home. I think I was 7th overall out of 26. I must admit it was rather different to have all the kids chanting a chorus "Moped, Moped" when I won a race!

Some of you should experience that some time. In fact if you turn up that weekend you may do! Thats the sort of atmosphere that Jon has going at Phoenix. I can picture it now. All the Slotforum members chanting "Moped, Moped" when I win a race. It is destined to remain a picture I suspect! However, it could be amusing to hear the names of other Slotforum members being chanted when they win!

Jonny S is planning on putting on a cracking show and Adrian Norman may be bringing a few prototype MotoGP bikes along and other goodies to entertain folk with. But is Adrian going to take part in the "Phoenix Challenge"?

In fact it all sounds so good that Jon has talked me into turning up!

Moped

· Registered
1,052 Posts
I didn't take the camera on this occasion as it was a junior race day with 2 or 3 adults present keeping order (with a bit of tough Army style dicipline in fact. Amazing but it worked! The threat of being removed from the club and put in the sin bin was always enough to restore order! Teachers and parents could learn a lot from the Phoenix style of junior management) but no doubt there will be plenty of photo opportunities on the event day at the end of March.

Moped

· Registered
1,052 Posts
I can assure you Inte that even RR3.9 would be hard pushed to beat some of the Phoenix juniors on the day.

They know all about Slot.It and turning power up and special tyres, etc, etc. Remember that a Phoenix senior member won the UK championship in the "Short Circuits" TV series so they have a master Jedi on hand to educate them in the ways of the force.

The "Short Circuits" champion may well be on hand on event day to take on allcomers! Now wouldn't that be interesting!

Moped

· Registered
1,052 Posts
A true champion will emerge if racing is restricted to single classes, box standard and unmodified, with all cars to be vetted by a referee.

One of the biggest common denominators has to be the MG Lola, GT40, or a Mini, or a Scaley F1 car.

How about having a "Short Circuits" style identical car type of event where a true racing champion may emerge. And better still the cars are drawn out of a bag before each heat so that you are not necesarily racing the car you entered into the event to even things up further. This should lead to very close and exciting racing.

Let it be an event where the most skilled driver emerges rather than the car with best race set up.

You could run races with just the button magnets in place which reduces downforce considerably.

Maybe Hornby could supply six cars for the event with tyres trued by Hornby and button magnets in place?

Everybody gets 10 minutes of practice and then its "Race Time"!

Now that would make it very interesting!

The event no doubt will feature as a story on the Scalextric web site and also Racer Magazine possibly. It will be like reliving "Short Circuits". In fact the possibilities for PR for the hobby are endless with some of the countries top slot car racers present so how about it Hornby?

And to make it clear I am only bouncing ideas around at the moment. Just out of interest Jon, what would you consider to be the maximum capacity at the event on the day?

Have all 233 club members ever turned up at the same time?

What if 500 people turned up?

What if 1000 people turned up?

What if the whole of the local school turned up with their families?

You have the experience here Jon and clearly race events have to be flexible to accomodate numbers and race experience. Team events might be the order of the day possibly depending on numbers? It is one of the great unknowns.

How much promotion dare you give the event?

The weather can also play a part. What if Scalextric gave it full promotion on the website and every Scalextric fan in the West Midlands turned up!

The fact is nobody really knows do they?

Moped

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.