SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Phoenix Scalextric Circuit

Our Club

Welcome to a look in at a night of the Phoenix Scalextric Circuit. I aim to give you an idea and the format of the competitive racing at Phoenix we host. So sit back, grab a coffee and enjoy!

Phoenix Scalextric Circuit is based near Studley in Warwickshire and enjoys a beautiful countryside location. The track is Ninco track measuring 150 feet with fully computerised race management and awesome scenic accessories. We also offer catering to warm us up on the cold nights that are upon us, and when the sun is out the BBQ is out!

All 256 figures were hand painted by the club's founder, Jon Sword, the attention to detail really adds to the effect of racing on this magnificent track, and creates a lasting impression from the moment you enter the building. Jon also used his knowledge of scenery from wargaming, and applied the detail here in superb fashion, with fully landscaped track sections and a full pit lane.

This particular night races featured touring cars, although we run a large array of classes suitable for everyone, of all levels! We try encourage modification, to a degree. This ensures a high standard of competitive racing throughout the club at all levels. Standard classes are also enforced, mainly in our endurance races to maintain a level playing field, so no-one can run away with it immediately.

Our classes are;

We run Monday and Thursday nights, 6:30-10:00 usually.

So the night begins with about 40 minutes practice, to get everyone settled in and make sure everyone's cars are tuned for the nights racing ahead (although, there will always be one!). Scrutineering takes place to make sure we have no cheaters amongst us! This includes checking motor RPM's, magnets (if any) and tyre extrusion width (at our club, we allow a 2mm extrusion, however most clubs allow none).

We begin racing with 6 heats, one go on each lane, to determine the league table at the end of the night. These points go into a table for the year also, for which trophies and prizes are handed out at the end of the year.

Generally, the races are 10 laps long, and are very heated affairs. Very much a sprint to the line, with no idea of who you will be drawn against, the excitement very much builds as you're waiting for the lane announcement. Hopefully, you will be drawn against your rival to prevent them taking top points and being able to race wheel to wheel with them is a thrill.

My first race!
So this is it! I was called up onto brown lane, with Doug on blue lane and James on green, this was going to be a close one. Car placed on the track, I drove round for my installation lap ensuring the car is still working, then lined up at the start line.

One at a time, the red lights come on, 3, 2, 1, GO! That's it! We're away! Easy start with 5 of us all together after losing someone at the first turn, and now into the bus stop, the hardest section of the track. We lose one, I manage to pull slightly ahead, through the curve complex, and D'oh! The back end steps out and I lose all momentum. Doug is off into the lead and I'm down to 5th.

I've got it all to do. I managed to keep it on and pull back to a few car lengths gap, with just one lap to go. It was wheel to wheel through the bus stop and out, no sliding this time! Final curve, and that's it! I've taken it by half a car length if that! Thrilled doesn't come close, and this was only my first race of six!

At the end of the racing heats, we get a table that looks dissimilar to this. This lists all the information from this section of racing. We award 1st place 8 points, 2nd place 6 points, 3rd place 4 points, 4th place 3 points, 5th place 2 points and 6th place 1 point. These are all totalled up and go towards this rounds totals, and then into the yearly leader board. From here we can also look at the fastest and average laps from over the course of the night. This is what our leader board looks like so far!

So we have the table, however we don't like to end it there. We like to run finals, to give everyone a chance to compete at their level. We split the finals into; Overall, youngsters and rookies. This means although you may finish lower down the order, you're still battling for a championship which you could be the winner of!
The order in which we finish, determines the order in which we select the lanes. This way the lane selection is fair and the finals are very close affairs. One mistake in this race and it could ruin your evening!

Usually we end up with faces of concentration like this..

Hopefully you have enjoying reading this report. If you would like to visit us, challenge us, or just want to contact us, feel free to check us out at www.phoenixscalextriccircuit.com, www.facebook.com/phoenixscalextriccircuit, or tweet us @phoenixscalex.

Thanks for reading folks!

Ben

·
Jay Botteri-Lane
2,138 Posts
Great report, Ben - always interested whenever one of your reports hit the forum, so this time was no exception!

Really fun to read up on how the races are run over at Pheonix - it's a very different approach to what I'm used to here, but it sounds like we both enjoy a similar variety of classes and some very close racing, though! One question - how long are your races, normally?

An entertaining read, with excellent photos of your fantastic looking circuit, as usual from you.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depending on the class we can be running at 12 seconds a lap, over the 10 laps, so around 3 minutes for the leaders, 5/7 minutes to get the whole field in.

Ideally we'd like to extend the races slightly, but we try to keep earlier finishes so the younger lads can get their races in!

Thanks for the comments too! Had a troublesome camera, Photoshop worked overtime on this one

·
Jay Botteri-Lane
2,138 Posts
Interesting. We usually run either 6 or 8-minute heats, meaning our races run a bit longer... 40 minutes, minimum. I kinda like your shorter 'sprint' approach and might suggest this for a couple of our club classes so we can squeeze more than one race into an evening!

Now I'm viewing your report on my PC (I was on my mobile before...) I can read the points table properly - looks like congratulations are going to be in order!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts