SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rich, I, David and Steve had a wonderful day at the Brooklands museum. Not least among the fun was seeing how high up the banking I could get the Mercedes as they kindly allowed us onto the track to take some photographs for a magazine article I'm doing. The display looks wonderful in the museum, although it hasn't got it's background yet, and so will the picture when it's hung in the picture gallery.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Wonderful, Rail. Sorry I missed the chance to meet you, but I'll be there one day soon. At least your C4R is a day closer to the track.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
David, took lots of pictures which I am sure he will post soon. I am sorry we did not meet tx, but I am sure we will soon.

It really was a most enjoyable couple of hours. Their are sheets of background work to go behind the cars from the book.

I will post a picture of the painting hung as the museum are emailing me one.

Jeff

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I now fully understand why Jeff's book is titled Built with Passion having spent a few hours in his company yesterday at "The Track".

Having self published his book as he knew it was a story that just had to be told he has now convinced the Brooklands Museum to carry a display of rail and slot cars tracing the hobby over the last fifty years as well as gaining their permission to run his Mercedes on the famous banking. Jeff is one of those people that achieves whatever he sets his mind on.

Also at Brooklands were Rich Davis and Steve Francis who were also delightful company and we shared our views on everything from motor racing painting, slot cars, scratchbuilding, retro racing, SlotForum etc etc.

Steve showed us some of his paintings including fine studies of Fangio drifting in a Maserati 250F, Dan Gurney airborne at Flugplatz on the Nurburgring and the Chaparral 2F racing through a village on the Targa Florio.

Jeff Davis and Steve Francis outside the Brooklands clubhouse with Steve's original painting used on the cover of "Built with Passion". This painting is now also on display in the museum.

When finished the display will have a background from the book giving information on the hobby.

Jeff with two Slot Classic based rail racers and the Brooklands lap record holding Napier Railton.

Jeff fulfills an ambition in swooping round the members banking at Brooklands in his Mercedes.

If anyone is considering a visit to the museum make sure you check out the display and Steve's painting, they will be there for a good few months, there will also be copies of the book for sale with the proceeds going to the museum.

David

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Thanks for posting the pictures chaps - it looks like you all had a great time. Sorry I couldn't make it along but events conspired against me. I can't say I like the look of that banking though! I thought there were plans to restore it at one point?

Anyhow, the display looks great and I hope it gets plenty of interest. Look forward to seeing more pics

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THe banking is so steep when you are driving across it. this does not really show in the pictures to the extent that I could hardly get out of my car because of the angle.

Jeff.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hey there!

Great display

I shall be checking this out as soon as possible as I only live 10 minutes from Brooklands.

In fact if Swiss has time next week during his flying visit maybe we can both go?

Cheers,

Julian.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
As Jeff says the banking is a lot steeper than the pictures suggest. This shot of Steve gives you an idea - in case you wonder what he is doing!! he is actually talking to Jeff who is sitting on the track in front of the car.

David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have had an email from the museum saying that they are working on put the backround up today.

So please Julian could you take a picture when you go?

Best wishes,

Jeff.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
QUOTE I shall be checking this out as soon as possible as I only live 10 minutes from Brooklands.

In fact if Swiss has time next week during his flying visit maybe we can both go?

I will try and make it early, thats a must do!

So - We are doing a review and write up for an Online Magazine and we get onto the Track!

Yipee!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Looks great. Thanks for posting the pictures.

I will be visiting tomorrow (saturday). Finally got round to setting the time aside and really looking forward to going.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will be interested to see what you think tomorrow?

The display is in the Clubhouse just the other side of the weighbridge and the painting if it is up yet should be in the Clerk of the Course Office where so much history was made.

The Clubhouse which was built in 1907, so many of the really great drivers have race from there.

Jeff

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'll let you know on Monday - I really only have internet access mon-fri, 9 - 5 (hey, it motivates me to get to work!).

I've always had an interest in Brooklands - My family have always lived in the area. My grandfather worked there throughout the War and for many years afterwards and my father started his apprenticeship there (admittedly, this was on the aircraft side of things, even so, the location is very important to me). Many days out were spent at the museum throughout my childhood - can't wait to see the display!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Gentlemen this is quite a fabulous thing I believe you've done for all of us. This is the type of thing that legitamises wee small car racing in "others" from the racing communities and I thank you for it.

It's a bit far to get to from Melbourne at the moment (2 small boys & only the missus working) but I'm hoping to get over there one day.

Thanks again,
David.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Firstly I want to say that this exhibition should be permanent, I am already working on the cars to replace those in the museum as I am planning to swop the cars every six months or so.

I am also next time going to add another car and some parts to the exhibition so that it evolves as time goes on.

Thank you David for your kind remarks,

Jeff.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Jeff,

As planned we visited the museum on Saturday. The display looks terrific and I can only mirror what David has mentioned in his earlier post. With any luck it will inspire people to join the hobby - if it doesn't then I'll be surprised...

I will definitely be revisiting in six months time, I look forward to seeing the changes!

Thanks

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you Dave.

Now if you look at most of the new rail cars they use MRRC components, as was the case in the 60's cast chassis, Gears, motors, tyres, wheels, steering units.

In fact my Alfa GP rail car is really a MRRC chassis with a shoe instead of a guide so I think it is most fitting that some of these components should be in the Brookland museum display.

I am also looking to buy some 60's pin guide cars as used in the MidWest around 1963 with the cast brass chassis as in the future I what one of these in the Museum.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 107 Posts