SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trawled all the suppliers I can think of I am having trouble finding a pinion for my C144 Scalextric Lancia 037.

It's a 9t pinion for a 2mm shaft but it has the extended shaft on one end so the shaft sits within the embrace of the contrate gear.

The standard inline motor shaft is too short.

Any ideas where I might get a replacement? I damaged mine trying to get it off the shaft of a blown motor
mad.gif

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I think I may have one, I will have a look.

From memory the extra bit on the end is about 3mm too big to fit in a standard contrate. If I still have it , it came from a "Scalextric" FC-130 motor I bought described as Spanish.

(Scalextric SCM2002) Motor C/w with Metal pinion (Spanish Cars)

£6.00

Manufacturer : Scalextric
Ref # : SCM2002
Title : Inline Motor Assembly complete with wires & steel pinion
For Models : Audi Quattro, Ford RS200, Lancia 037, Ferrari F1/87
Availablity : In stock

* This part may also be suitable for use on other cars. For more information please refer to the Scalextric service sheets, which are available for download here.

Send me a PM with an address, I'll try and get my mule to take it back to UK. If you are in a real hurry I think Slot City might still have one?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Found the motor but not sure if i can get the pinion off without damaging it. Happy to do so but it will probably need to be "rubbed" on a bit of emery cloth to clean up the pry marks.

Might be easier to send the whole motor?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
My mule left today for Manchester.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Oops. I didn't know. I guess like my work email I expected a red light to show or something. If you get really desperate I guess I could mail it myself from here, but it will cost me min 15 quid to post a 6 quid motor.

You'd have to run the motor with a file rubbing on the backside. I have put some pry marks in it but have given up trying to get it off. Maybe that is why you need a new one?

Did you have a look at Slot City?

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,631 Posts
SCM2002 seems correct for the "Spanish" versions which originally had the open-frame motor (RX4 ?) and therefore the stub on the end of the pinion was quite large to simulate the RX4 motor spindle into the crown gear.

Leo

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,631 Posts
A penny just dropped about this being the same motor as in the older RS200 and I have one spare.

Sending PM to Richard.

Leo

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hopefully sorted now thanks to Leo.

Mike - as far as I can see the only way to remove the pinion is to dismantle and destroy the motor then grip the shaft in a vice and pry or tap the pinion off. Obviously a standard pinion puller won't work.

Fingers crossed the Lancia will be back up and running and ready to compete in our Group B rally class. It was quite an entertaining car until the motor blew.

·
Slot King
2,647 Posts
Well, for those who want to try, there is a less destructive method that I haven't personally tried.

Drill a 1.5mm hole into the blind end of the pinion and remove it with an extractor fitted with a 1.5mm pin (if such a thing exist)

1.5mm motor shaft are used in HO (and strap) motors, therefore extractors must be available somewhere.

Perhaps, one of our HO friends could confirm.

Joel

·
Phil Smith
2,626 Posts
It's easier than you think, if the pinion is worn it does not matter if you destroy it, so just grind off the stub on the end until you can see motor shaft, then use a normal puller to remove the pinion.

I have loads of these pinions.............somewhere!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Yep but I was attempting to get it off to send to Richard. Might try the hole drilling trick. As I can't use the motor as is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts