SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the pitlane game over Christmas but it only seemed to detect cars a fraction of the time. I referred the problem to Scalextric repair department who had me return the game and, after several weeks, have provided me with a brand new boxed replacement game. Their service was excellent (a big thanks to Adam and the team at Scalextric service dept) and I really can't fault it, the problem is that the replacement game won't pick up any of my cars either. I have lots of digital cars some of which are brand new and therefore I dont think cars can be the problem. However, two dodgy pitlane games in a row does seem unlikely. Does anyone know if this is a common problem with the pit lane game or able to offer advice on a way forward?

For info I am running a large layout with the new 6 car PB and have two power supplies I therefore don't think it can be a power problem. I have recently invested in the SSDC software and so at some point in the future I will probable want to upgrade to pit pro. I just think it would be sensible to get the base unit working first before I commit it to the upgrade.

·
Administrator
10,131 Posts
If you are using slot.it chips these are not compatible with the Pit Lane Game. Otherwise, the sensor in the slot cant see sideways as well as the powerbase does as it is missing the open aperture that you see on all 6 car powerbases. That means it is very adviseable to have a straight before the sensor so that car leds are directly over the slot. If you run magless then this is even more important.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a straight before the game sensor piece and all my cars are scalextric, some dpr chips and some factory fitted. The sensor won't even pick up when cars are run through slowly by hand.

·
Prof I T
11,160 Posts
hi
are you getting power to the display unit.?? Can you set the number of pitstops using the set button and here the beeping noise to confirm the buttons being pushed.???

There was another member on here last week with the same problem with a unit he had purchased off amazon,it was swapped and all was good..

Is there a dodgy batch doing the rounds..???

·
Administrator
10,131 Posts
Track connections can lead to problems despite you having two power supplies. Also conductivity so make sure the rails are clean using some IPA, switch cleaner or Inox MX3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Power is going to the display, it certainly keeps bleeping and responds to commands from the stat button. It seems to work in all respects other than it simply won't sense. I have cleaned the track and checked all connections so I am confident it is not a power issue. Maybe it is a bad batch, it just seems odd that I should have two bad units in a row. Maybe I simply need to return the unit to scalextric?

·
Prof I T
11,160 Posts
hi
it does sound like another faulty unit after reading your efforts to get it to work so it is probably best to return it again..

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
QUOTE (RikoRocket @ 22 Mar 2012, 13:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>... the sensor in the slot cant see sideways as well as the powerbase does as it is missing the open aperture that you see on all 6 car powerbases....
Riko, just for clarification...
By "open aperture" do you mean on the track sensor or the "round hole" that is missing on the PLG but on the PB tracks?
Not sure whether it is the opening between the rails or the ability of the sensor you are talking about.

Cheers!

·
Prof I T
11,160 Posts
hi
think he means the round hole wich for some reason scaley does not deem necessary. The rails are relieved aeound the pb and all lane change sections....

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
...and the hole should allow a wider viewing angle for the sensor, right?
That would make sense.

Thanks, Bigbird.

Cheers!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had the similar issue with units from Amazon (referenced by Ade)....I now have unit number 3, which works with some cars, but not all - even for my "equivalent" LMPs only 3 out of 4 cars register. My first unit never worked, second unit I knocked the sensor off somehow, and third unit seems ok-ish. I'm currently in the process of getting independent power to all my "non-track" (i.e., lane changers, PLG) to see if that rectifies things, otherwise I have a sensor set from an old XLC that I will try to implement.

Steve

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
What about just replacing the opto sensor in the PLG?
After all, an opto sensor is added to the other track to record pit-in and it is not a Scaley supplied sensor.
Cheers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did anyone solve this? I have bough a DPLG from an ebay seller, and the track sensor does not detect my cars.

Everything else works fine, the tower is flashing red and green and bleeping, responding to the button etc, all my lane changers work, the pit lane lane changer works so cars can put into the pits. But the light will not extinguish (or illuminate for that matter) when a car passes over the sensor.

I've unscrewed it and it all looks pristine, no damage, all contacts are good.

I've mailed scalextric but seems a cheek as I got it cheap in an auctions I haven't tried the ebay seller yet, but is was marked as used, although it clearly has never been used.

What would you recommend - I can just about use a solder iron?

·
Administrator
10,131 Posts
Early issue pit games had too low a sensitivity, I started boosting the pit-pro mod which made them much better. Then the factory had problems with the finish on the pins on the tower, they should be a mirror finish not satin I had to polish all the pins until Adrian Norman got me some new ones from the factory, the early ones had pinched wires which can be a fault point, or the central contact being badly mounted in the base (look straight down the holes).
But probably the highest risk is in the sensor in the slot has been clean knocked off. Take a quick picture above the slot and I'll tell you...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good news. I unscrewed the tower unit and found that middle pin three was unsoldered from the board. Bit of a job but managed to solder it bask in.

And it has worked

1 - 18 of 18 Posts