SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I've been planning this for a while and built the prototype of the cabin (or whetever it is called).

The base is made of balsa wood, the pillars from kebab skewers, the rest is from paper on 1mm thick carton, and a thin piece of plastic for the window.

I've designed the paper cut outs on Powerpoint (best I have), printed it on label paper on a colour laser, cut and stuck on carton.

And to top it all:

I have embedded a small white LED behind the "Monitors" and with small slots cut into the bottom of the monitor bank to downlight onto the keyboards:

Thus with 12V connected, the monitors glow:

As this is the prototype (and I was as usual in a rush), it is a bit messy and the finish is not as I would like, thus try and try again.

The rest of the cabins (6 more to do) will have to wait as I'll be in Namibia for next week.

Pictures to follow soon.

Cheers and enjoy!
TK

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
i'd by that for a dollar,in fact i would pay more, why not offer some kit's for sale.

·
Registered
281 Posts
This looks really great, would love to see a picture of it trackside, can you provide dimensions or a template, the monitor screens really finish it off.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx for the kind words everyone!

I wanted to do something more than just a paddock, and I like to add lighting to almost everything.

While I as tinkering with the pre-prototype, the idea of hiding a led behind the monitors hit me.

@ Ember: Well spotted on the map pins! I was looking for something that can make a easy and simple stool. At the office I have a pack of these pins and thought it seems like a modern looking bar stool.
I removed the pin by heating it slightly with a solder iron, turn the plastic part around, drilled a 2mm dia hole about 4mm deep, glued a toothpick (pre-painted) as the stand!

@TR7_Driver & Bigbird:

I will post trackside pics asap as well as dimensions.

As soon as I'm happy with a final product, I'll make the powerpoint slides and step by step available for download for you to build yourself.

I don't like the idea of cabling running on the outside of the cabin. I will redesign in order for the wires to be hidden on the inside corner.

The floor of the cabin and the sidewalls are also not 100% correctly sized. Need some rework.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanx again for the positive feedback guys!

I've taken the Mercedes perch apart and will redo it.

Some feedback:

The dimensions of the perch:

L=70mm, W=32mm, H=70mm

This morning i've constructed a Red Bull perch, after I've redesigned some of the errors I mentioned in my post above.

It looks a bit better, with the cables inside the cabin, floor sized better etc.

Some pics of the perch as it will be in situ.... (The pit walls are still to be constructed, but you get the idea...)

If someone can let me know how to post .pdf files, I'll share the plans of the printouts.

I will also post a step by step of the construction as I have taken pics while I was constructing the Red Bull perch.

If you PM me, I'll send you the original powerpoint slides on which the cut-outs was designed. Please note that I may not be able to reply within the next week as I will be in Namibia and may or may not have internet access.

Enjoy!
TK

·
Registered
985 Posts
Google Cute pdf writer. You print to it as if it is a printer and it produces a pdf. Its free and accurate. We publish our card models using it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UshCha,

I have it already in pdf format, I just do not know how post the links. Do I load the pdf's on photobucket and post/link same way as the pics?

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,591 Posts
I tried uploading a PDF to Photobucket and it would not take it. In the "browse for photos" panel, I put an asterisk * in and clicked OK so that I could navigate to the file and then it started to upload but never finished.

Leo

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Leo

I've mailed you the pptx (powerpoint) file.

The pdf's are way to big to mail (3Mb per page, 10 pages)

I do not have a ftp site or web site available at the moment to store them for now. Thus, anybody who wants the pptx file, you are welcome to PM me.

Glad to share!

PS Thanx to Geezer, I have used some of you're banner pdfs to create the artwork!

TK

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@ ss67

Simon, check your mail, I've sent you the files.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
A very nice feature! I'm doing a similar thing with the control desk of the ship I'm building - four LEDs lighting chart screens and radar screens. Good to see it working!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Graham

Great minds think alike...... fools never differ!

Good luck with your ship's instruments!

TK

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi All,

I've started a new thread on How to make the perches at link

for those who would like to build their own perches.

I hope it helps!

TK

1 - 20 of 27 Posts