SlotForum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the PitPro. Really fast delivery from RikoRocket, thanks for that!
It's working just fine but now cars sometimes "enters" the pit while in the middle of the track.
I mean I hear the "in to the pitlane" and then car is slowed down to the pitlane speed. Normal speed comes back when the car crosses finishline.

Last weekend we did quite a few races and that happened about 5-6 times. Not once during free practice. So its not a frequent problem but not a great random feature...
When the car drives to the pit normally, pitpro works just fine. Well couple of times it did miss the enter to the pit but that might have been due to too much speed and drifting over the sensor.

Is it just me or has this happened to anyone else?

·
Circuit Owner
5,891 Posts
I happened when there were 6 of us racing last week. I think I heard it happen a couple of times when there was nobody in the pit and I was marshalling. I can't say I would have noticed it when I was actually racing so it may have happened many more times.

I can't say that anybody commented about their car slowing down dramatically to pit lane speed (I have it set to 50%).

It could be that something is triggering the sensor. I don't have flourescent lighting tubes which are the usual culprits but I do have energy saving bulbs which have one of those curly tubes (are they flourescent?) inside a candle bulb shaped cover and there are 5 of them almost directly over the pit. It was after dark so sunlight was not a factor.

I need to keep an eye out for it in future - by looking at the SSDC display to see who is flagged as being in the pits and asking them if their power just dropped.

I'm on firmware 1.06 and a version of SSDC from about 6 months ago.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Guys,

I've just been testing my new layout and part of that was to check pit-pro was working.

I was getting "and he's entered the pits" half way round laps, pit lane speeds on the track. It seemed all out of sync and the pit sensors were either playing up or not recognising the car at all.

Found out that my PC had changed the Com port for Pit-pro and I had pointed SSDC at the wrong port. Changed that and all worked fine again.

I had dismantled my old layout and also hadn't used the track for months, so it was bit like starting again

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have noticed the same problem so I did some tests. It appears that if you have your throttle set to a position greater than zero and press the LC button then I do not get any pit lane calls, but if I do not have any throttle set ie zero throttle and press the LC button anywhere on the track I get a pit lane call. So if, as I do, you have an XLC at the end of a straight and you back off the throttle and attempt to change lanes you get a pit lane call even if you hold the LC button then release the throttle I get a pit lane call. We need other people to test this theory and report if I am going senile in my old age or if this is a problem.
Sorry Andy!

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
Can you let me know which of the pit lane configurations you have selected in SSDC please? If it is any of the "no pit lane monitor" options, then the lane change + no throttle will register you in the pit lane after the defined delay period. If you have defined an option which uses a pit entry sensor, then there is a bug. From a quick look at the code, I can't immediately see where it would be though.

·
Circuit Owner
5,891 Posts
Andy,

I realise your question was aimed at Richard TB - but just in case it helps...

My setup is:

Firmware 1.06
SSDC v5.1.1.0
Pit Pro with entry and exit sensors
Pit setting to "Pit Entry + Exit : Exit Before Start" (pit is 1/2 way round the track).

I'm not sure what was triggering the random "into the pit" message - it was full on digital carnage so it could have been anything! However, reading the other posts - I have a very long straight (4 metres) with an R4 90 degree bend followed by a full straight and a straight lane changer. It is conceivable with my NASCARs that drivers were off the throttle at the end of the straight (no magnets so not much natural braking) and then pressing the LC button as this LC is needed to get off the fastest lane into the other lane to access the pits around the next couple of corners.

As SSDC is aware I have PitPro this shouldn't be the issue but who knows!

Richard

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Its only a setting - you have to select in SSDC that there is a pit lane monitor, without that then of coure you can refuel anywhere and if you have zero throttle and lane change button pressed then SSDC will assume you are in the pits. That is not a bug... There are loads of Pit-Pro out in the community, properly set up they don't have any problem. Nanook, start SSDC and click on the right hand chequered flag at the top bar. Select "Pit entry and exit: exit after start".
Sadinoel - if there had been a problem I would have expected some of the guys that are seasoned Pit-Pro users to have flagged it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I checked and sure enough I had no pit lane selected. Selected a com port and all is well. This brings me to another quick question. the reason I am not using pitpro is that the cable is too short to reach from the PC to PitPro. I tried uding a telephone extension cable but PitPro does not work with that extension cable in line. Do I need a special PitPro extension cable to make it work?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
QUOTE (Richard TB @ 7 Mar 2012, 02:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I checked and sure enough I had no pit lane selected. Selected a com port and all is well. This brings me to another quick question. the reason I am not using pitpro is that the cable is too short to reach from the PC to PitPro. I tried uding a telephone extension cable but PitPro does not work with that extension cable in line. Do I need a special PitPro extension cable to make it work?

During the design I decided that 4M was the max length cable I wanted to be used. It will work with longer but even 4M is well beyond the design spec for TTL level signals that are being transmitted.

You can extend the RJ11 cable, however at some point things will become unreliable. The reason why your telephone cable did not work will be that it did not have all 4 pins connected, just the middle two. Best solution as has been sugested is a USB extension cable.

Rich

·
Circuit Owner
5,891 Posts
QUOTE (RikoRocket @ 6 Mar 2012, 22:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Its only a setting - you have to select in SSDC that there is a pit lane monitor, without that then of coure you can refuel anywhere and if you have zero throttle and lane change button pressed then SSDC will assume you are in the pits. That is not a bug... There are loads of Pit-Pro out in the community, properly set up they don't have any problem. Nanook, start SSDC and click on the right hand chequered flag at the top bar. Select "Pit entry and exit: exit after start".
Sadinoel - if there had been a problem I would have expected some of the guys that are seasoned Pit-Pro users to have flagged it.

Riko - my layout is stacked away at the moment so I can't test BUT I am pretty sure I have a com port selected for PitPro - last time we raced; people were steaming through the pit lane because they pressed the LC button by mistake (newbies - only second time ever racing digital), they were going straight through the pit without stopping and were getting the "and into the pits" message. They were slowing to 50% speed whilst going through the pit lane. This suggests the PitPro is linked to a com port unless you tell me otherwise. We were still getting random "and into the pits" announcements during races where there was nobody in the pits - I was marshalling on some of the occasions this happened so I can be absolutely certain this is what was happening.

Only one thing occurs to me that might explain it - the Powerbase went into safe mode due to frayed braids on one car. So I rebooted everything. I think I may have rebooted the PC before the APB - does SSDC remember port settings or does it forget them if it doesn't find a PitPro connected and waiting when it boots up? Sorry - I wasn't looking for this to happen so I didn't document it.

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
SSDC remembers both the pit configuration setting and the pit lane com port. The config setting is important as it tells SSDC how to sense the pit-in event. If you choose any of the no pit sensor settings, then SSDC uses the lane change button press for pit entry and refuelling (subject to the specified delay). If you choose any of the sensor configurations, then you can only enter the pits if your car is sensed by the Pit-Pro.
By the way, for those using older versions of SSDC (i.e. pre 5.4), there was a problem with pit entry when not using sensors that has been resolved.

·
Circuit Owner
5,891 Posts
OK so my issue with random pit lane entry announcement is not PitPro com port related then.

Would the energy saving bulbs (curled flourescents inside a candle bulb wrapping x 5) directly above my pit lane be a possible cause?

I'm going to upgrade to 1.09 and the latest SSDC by the way - I was just waiting for the recent lap counting issues to settle down and now they have I am just being a bit lazy!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Some types of lighting or sunlight can cause problems with any of the opto sensors, be they Pit, Powerbase or Lane Change. That said the Pit-Pro if anything sufferes from a lack of sensitivity and other than wrong com port selections there has been very little false detection. The code is quite tight and it needs some precise timing over a couple of cycles for a car to be recognised.

Best thing is to temporarily shade the pit sensors and see if the problem goes away?

Rich

·
Greg Gaub
14,653 Posts
Light can definitely trigger a pit in signal. At a friend's track, he had installed track lighting (the ceiling kind) to aim at his track. One of the 6 lights was aimed quite close to the Pit Pro track. Every once in a while we noticed false pit detections. Toward the end of the night, we realized it happened when someone shadowed and unshadowed that light on the pit sensor. We then had some fun making the sound repeat by flashing our hands between the light and the sensor.

Now that I remember that, I'm wondering if his sensors have been somehow messed up by the lighting? He hadn't used the pits for a while, and the other night we tried a race with fuel, but the Pit Pro was not working properly. Cars weren't being detected at all. The display was also not showing all the cars correctly, though, so there might be more to the problem than lighting.

Anyway, there's at least one track in the world where it doesn't take a car to trigger a pit in.

·
Registered
217 Posts
SSDC 5.4.0.0
APB firmware 1.009

Pit Entry+Exit: Exit after start

I was driving free practice just a moment ago to record pace car data. I entered the pitlane but the
pitlane call was signed to a car which wasnt even on the track. When I exited the pitlane
it called the running car on the pitlane. Pitlane sign stayed on that other car. Second time I entered to the pit
I was able to fuel the car but at the sametime the pitlane sign lit to yet another car which wasnt on the track.
So leaderboard showed that I had 3 cars at the pit when I was driving alone.

The driver was same with all the cars. Does this mess up ssdc? Or does it just look the car id's?

I dont remember precisely what was the situations in the weekends races. Did someone enter the pit when those
false pit entrys came. But that might be the case.
I have set the pitlane speed to 25% almost all cars so the power drop doesnt go unnoticed. So if you run out of gas durnig the race
your going to lose a lot of time.

I have 6 spotlights in the ceiling and all are "normal" light bulbs. None of those point directly down. Sun doesnt shine
directly in to this room.

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
Sounds to me like there is a fault with your pit entry sensor. The fact that it is IDing the cars incorrectly is the clue. This will make a mess of the ability to refuel, as well as speed limits etc. Switch the pit entry and exit sensors around and see if the fault moves to the pit exit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts