Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On one of my cars I am getting some pitting on the pickups. Am I right in thinking that this means the springs aren't strong enough?

All advice welcome as usual!

Regards

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Is it pitting (spark errosion) or a wear groove?

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Pitting and black marks on the shoes will reduce a lot if you use regulated power supplies.

A slight grove is actually a good thing, especially if goes full length and thereby shows you have tweaked the shoes correctly.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is pitting, I assume from a bit of sparking. I do have a regulated power supply already. It isn't a wear groove.

Regards

Jim

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to bump my own post but I was wondering if anyone had any advice. The power supply is regulated and the marks aren't wear grooves. Definitely looks like the result of sparking.

Cheers

Jim

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

It is just one car, all my others seem to be fine. It's a tomy turbo chassis with some upgraded traction magnets. It actually goes really well, but I just wondered if I would be losing power as a result of this. I will get some new pickups and springs from Tony and see how it goes. I will stick on a picture on when I get a minute.

Thanks

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I guess then it could be the motor, creating extra electrical disturbance, which is in turn causing increased arcing on the pick-up shoes, and the fix suggested may work!

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
I've noticed with stronger traction mags the pick-ups get more punishment. Jon (I think) was getting a lot of wear and blackening of the shoes on his G3 last Sunday. So long as you give the pick-ups a clean after each heat, you should have no loss of performance.

The strong mags could also mean the springs are getting over-compressed and losing their 'springy-ness' over time. New springs, doubling up the springs (if legal in the class you're running) or thicker BSRT springs (again, if legal) could be solutions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts