SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, yeah, we'll kick off with this one but, rest assured, I'm going to be laying down some pretty basic - some might say dumb-ass - questions since, as I have discovered, there's bugger all information out there about Plafit.

Which is odd.馃

It's almost like the first rule of Fight Club.

Anyhoo, the image in this post shows a right old sandwich of layers. Can anyone talk me through, and describe them, etc? Maybe point me at a tutorial I've singulaly failed to find on the super information highway??

Ta in advance.馃憤

Reactions: GRUNZ

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What type of body? Yes, I can see that might help. 馃檮

Hard body (snigger) plastic from the likes of Tamiya and Nunu.

I have two 1900s chassis and thought they were ready to roll but will be getting those metal brackets, since they weren't.

This foam, though, any particular flavour? Any particular source?

Bonus question; so you 1:24 boys mount the body firmly and let the suspension in the chassis do what it's designed to do? As in, no body rock?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Okay. Firstly, thanks for all the input. Much appreciated. 馃憤

I have the 1900 rolling chassis and the foam is included: it is in back of the packaging inside the paper insert on top of which the chassis is sitting
Now this got me properly excited and, in all honesty, feeling like a bit of a numpty - I'd not opened a packet and handled a chassis yet. D'oh!

But then I realised my packaging is clear plastic and the chassis sits on nothing. 馃槖 However, I thought I'd best open one up, just in case the elusive foam was hidden in the folded cardboard hanger.

No such luck. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

I am without foam. Official, Plafit foam. Are there recommended substitutes? Which was part of my initial quandary.

There are some more articles on Plafit if you dig through the site...hope it helps.
Oh, I've dug. Here and abroad. Trust me, I've excavated. A lot of what I've so far unearthed seems to assume the reader is in the know and therefore lacks utter (utter!!) newbie guidance. That, or is so old that supplied links lead to delightful 404s and external images have long since ceased to be hosted. This one
is a case in point but I love Stoo for his first post because I feel his pain. 馃槦

I will now go and fight the German-language retail sites and see if 'Plafit foam' is a thing, but any tip-offs on how foamy foam sourced elsewhere should be would be appreciated. 馃憤

EDIT
I just realised, whilst staring at the now opened package, I'm probably lacking official Plafit foam because my chassis also lacks the body-mounting, side-fit doohickeys.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Dense foam - ordered! Ta, @pslot

For reference, here's my packaging.

Engineering Electronic device Machine Auto part Font

No foam and what I now learn are horizontal mounting plates - hence no foam, I guess.馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Um? How do they work, then?? The horizontals? Do you put posts in the shell and drill holes in the plates? :unsure:

@rastas, that was, quite literally the thread I linked to earlier with the amusing kick-off rant. Some sound advice, too.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Looking at the diagrams in post 16 don't you also need to change the mount plates and butterfly plates for the parts without the 'S' at the end of the number?
Oh. Yes. I see what you mean. But, I wonder, since I'm not doing this to be uber competitive, just to have some bigger toys to play with, perhaps I don't need to? Maybe. 馃

That said, and on that side of things, and now you mention it, I'll make a note of the part numbers and if I see any at Gaydon at the weekend....

Yeah, right! Like there'll be much 1/24th action there! 馃檮

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The flat horizontal mounts are mounted the same way as the 90 degree vertical ones. A bit of foam on each end usually and then glue foam to the body.
I have a few Plafits will post some photos tonight. I have found in the past that its a bit of a dark arts. I bought a chassis kit and couldn't find any instructions to put it together. :)
On each end? Not the length of the plate? I mean, with it being so thin the amount of plate actually pushing on the foam seems small but to only have that pushing at either end seems... preposterous. 馃 Or maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Please do take some snaps but there's no rush on my part.

Gio, two of the cars I'm planning to do have long wheelbases so I decided to 'ave it large.

With several of the comments made about the complexity of assembly and a dearth of instructions I am so glad I didn't go with kits. Although I might next time, now I've a reference point.

I gotta say, I don't gotta but I'm gonna, the style of the logos on the packaging, the lack of a manufacturer's website, coupled with the Meccano-like construction of the items themselves gives me the impression that Noah probably once ran these things.:oops:

Reactions: GRUNZ

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
@GRUNZ, patience; all will be revealed... years later.馃

@rastas, thanks for the photos - thicker foam! Well, d'uh! At me.

Back to eBay, then. For... thicker foam than I'd ordered. 馃檮

Also thanks for that website clue. It doesn't appear quite as closed as the ancient message from 2016 suggests but my Japanese isn't as good as it never was. 馃槵

Just adds to the inscrutable conundrum that is Plafit. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Reactions: rastas
1 - 7 of 7 Posts