SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

Registered
So, yeah, we'll kick off with this one but, rest assured, I'm going to be laying down some pretty basic - some might say dumb-ass - questions since, as I have discovered, there's bugger all information out there about Plafit.

Which is odd.馃

It's almost like the first rule of Fight Club.

Anyhoo, the image in this post shows a right old sandwich of layers. Can anyone talk me through, and describe them, etc? Maybe point me at a tutorial I've singulaly failed to find on the super information highway??

Ta in advance.馃憤
Got my foam from Slotpoint when I ordered my Pace 1/24 chassis kit, can鈥檛 remember if the foam came with the chassis or not but in any case I ordered the foam in a couple of sizes.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Dense foam - ordered! Ta, @pslot

For reference, here's my packaging.

Engineering Electronic device Machine Auto part Font

No foam and what I now learn are horizontal mounting plates - hence no foam, I guess.馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Um? How do they work, then?? The horizontals? Do you put posts in the shell and drill holes in the plates? :unsure:

@rastas, that was, quite literally the thread I linked to earlier with the amusing kick-off rant. Some sound advice, too.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Looking at the diagrams in post 16 don't you also need to change the mount plates and butterfly plates for the parts without the 'S' at the end of the number?
Oh. Yes. I see what you mean. But, I wonder, since I'm not doing this to be uber competitive, just to have some bigger toys to play with, perhaps I don't need to? Maybe. 馃

That said, and on that side of things, and now you mention it, I'll make a note of the part numbers and if I see any at Gaydon at the weekend....

Yeah, right! Like there'll be much 1/24th action there! 馃檮

ParrotGod
you got the bigger chassis there. I have got the smaller one and the packaging is different.

Registered
Dense foam - ordered! Ta, @pslot

For reference, here's my packaging.

View attachment 306107

No foam and what I now learn are horizontal mounting plates - hence no foam, I guess.馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Um? How do they work, then?? The horizontals? Do you put posts in the shell and drill holes in the plates? :unsure:

@rastas, that was, quite literally the thread I linked to earlier with the amusing kick-off rant. Some sound advice, too.
This is basically how they both come from ace hobby's I have changed the wheels the foam is under the base card , the difference between
Light Automotive tire Product Automotive wheel system Engineering

1900s and the 1900 chassis.
John.
Notice the difference between the 4 mounting brackets!
Hood Circuit component Toy Motor vehicle Computer hardware
Bumper Rectangle Automotive exterior Asphalt Gas
Black Floor Automotive tire Rectangle Flooring
Circuit component Automotive tire Urban design Asphalt Landscape

Attachments

ParrotGod
I have the same package as John here.
John are the tyres on the 1900S the stock ones? I got only the 1900 and they come with foam tyres?
Where did you get these runner tyres?

Slot Car Racer and Builder
The flat horizontal mounts are mounted the same way as the 90 degree vertical ones. A bit of foam on each end usually and then glue foam to the body.
I have a few Plafits will post some photos tonight. I have found in the past that its a bit of a dark arts. I bought a chassis kit and couldn't find any instructions to put it together. :)

Registered
I have the same package as John here.
John are the tyres on the 1900S the stock ones? I got only the 1900 and they come with foam tyres?
Where did you get these runner tyres?
No there BRM front Trans am rims and tires 14", for a couple old ford stock cars I'm building , Both chassis came with foam tires.
John.

Registered
The flat horizontal mounts are mounted the same way as the 90 degree vertical ones. A bit of foam on each end usually and then glue foam to the body.
I have a few Plafits will post some photos tonight. I have found in the past that its a bit of a dark arts. I bought a chassis kit and couldn't find any instructions to put it together. :)
I was in the same boat to, when I brought my first kit ,the 1800 series SLP2LK-SW-GT3 , found pictures and used them as a guide.
John.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
On each end? Not the length of the plate? I mean, with it being so thin the amount of plate actually pushing on the foam seems small but to only have that pushing at either end seems... preposterous. 馃 Or maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Please do take some snaps but there's no rush on my part.

Gio, two of the cars I'm planning to do have long wheelbases so I decided to 'ave it large.

With several of the comments made about the complexity of assembly and a dearth of instructions I am so glad I didn't go with kits. Although I might next time, now I've a reference point.

I gotta say, I don't gotta but I'm gonna, the style of the logos on the packaging, the lack of a manufacturer's website, coupled with the Meccano-like construction of the items themselves gives me the impression that Noah probably once ran these things.:oops:

Reactions: GRUNZ

ParrotGod
Pedro, you are making me really curious about your builds ;-)
Given that these chassis should be Japanese manufactured, I was really surprised at the lack of consistencies and maniacal attention to details.

Registered
On each end? Not the length of the plate? I mean, with it being so thin the amount of plate actually pushing on the foam seems small but to only have that pushing at either end seems... preposterous. 馃 Or maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Gio, two of the cars I'm planning to do have long wheelbases so I decided to 'ave it large.

With several of the comments made about the complexity of assembly and a dearth of instructions I am so glad I didn't go with kits. Although I might next time, now I've a reference point.

I gotta say, I don't gotta but I'm gonna, the style of the logos on the packaging, the lack of a manufacturer's website, coupled with the Meccano-like construction of the items themselves gives me the impression that Noah probably once ran these things.:oops:
You don't put it on the end, lay the foam on-top of the bracket with a little bit over the edge 1-2mm and it's the 1-2mm that is glued to the body.

This is an example of how to use the horizontal body mounts.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 42 Posts