SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am in the early planning stages of setting up a new permanent track in the garage to finally end the rug racing days and I would appreciate all input and tips from you all. I am limiting myself to one half of the garage and the dimensions of the track will be rougly as in this first layout, give or take a few cm here and there, leaving enough space around the track to move a bit and also leaving space enough in the garage for other things.

My design goals is as follows:

30m track on a limited space.
Dimensions based on Scalextric track pieces.
Scalextric Sport (Digital) plastic track or routed wooden track with Scalextric lange changers.
Allowing 2-lane digital racing, designed for up to 4 racers (never had a race at home with more then 4-people).
Allowing 2-lane analog racing wiith equal lane lenghts.
Enough clearance for magnetless racing and sliding of the cars.
Allowing space for marshalling and of course, to reach to keep the track clean and tidy!
Ability to upgrade the track to Slot.It´s Oxigen in the future.

After hours and hours of fun testing and measuring, I have come up with a rough first plan of the track:

The Scalextric borders are just to give an idea about the track´s width. I might still go with a total routed wooden track (with sunken in Scalextric lane changers), but if I go with plastic track it will be sunk into 8mm MDF or another material all around it, creating enough space for cars to slide outside the normal Scalextric track width.

The white frames show the layout of the tables that the track will rest on.

The red frames show some open space for marshalling or for accessing the track for cleaning and what not.

The dimension of the actual track (not the tables) are 470 cm x 346 cm.

Both lanes are 3002 cm in analog mode and when going straight in the lane changers.

The parts I am mostly concerned about at this point is the pit-stop and a growing worrying that the top straights are too dull and makes the track not lively enough.

Scenery would of course be fun, but with limited space I focus more on the track and racing and the scenery have to give.

Looking forward to your ideas and tips!

// Mikael

·
Mike
629 Posts
If you are going right to left across the pits I would have the lane change before the pits so you can get in, if you are going left to right lane changer's are a bit close to corner exit. IMHO
Mike

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That´s very good input Mike. I put a XLC just before the last bend, but when I think about what you are saying, it would be much nicer to have one closer to the pitstop. I have actually never tried to put a XLC just after a curve, would it be ok for a pitstop? Or should I simply move the pitstop / sl more left and swap the XLC on the left side to the right side? Or what do you all recommend?

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
The corners are all too even. If you do go for a routed track you'll be able to mix them up a bit with varying the radius. But even if you stay plastic you need to add some variety in those corners. Some fast ones. Some slow ones. Opening and closing ones. Not just the dreaded R2s. More variety will keep the interest longer.

Embs

·
Greg Gaub
14,663 Posts
He has a variety, but they're all pretty much constant radius. There needs to be more combination turns, where you come on an R4 and then an R3 and an R2, or the other way around.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good input Greg. I think I got very stuck on the equal lane lenght when I made this layout and also focused very much into squeezing the track into the space. I tried and tried to get a more interesting plan, but keept ending up with different lane lenghts or too much space used and could not wrap my head around it. So in the end I told myself, damn I´m gonna try to keep it simple. But now when I have the first layout, and look at it, I feel exactly as you summed it up. It needs more combinations and feels "plain" when I drive it in my head... something is missing. I thought it was the straights, but I think you put the head on the nail with the combinations. I´ll open up the laptop tonight and see what I can change and how it would change the flow.

My high-school math is many years away, but I think that I remember that as long as I keep it a figure 8, it should be equal lanes, right?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

It looks more alive, but I can´t fully yet feel how it would be to drive it. What do you think?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I would increase the length of the pit lane by about 1 1/2 straights and use the XLC you have under the overpass to change into the correct lane for entering the pits, at the moment you really only have about a half straight in the pit lane but a longer pit lane works better with more cars on the track (and looks better too).

Matt

·
Registered
108 Posts
Also having the pit lane on the start finish line requires a little bit of extra work to make sure your laps are recorded. Get the longest pit lane you can figure out.

·
Greg Gaub
14,663 Posts
You're definitely heading in the right direction. There are a lot of really fun looking turns in there. Some maybe a little TOO "compound" though. ;-) It's hard to really know until you put a car on it, though. As long as you have one reversed loop in the layout, the lanes will be equal, but in reality that's really not all that important. Unless a track is a perfect figure 8, lanes will drive differently, even if they are equal in length. Equal length is therefore a "wild goose chase". Worry more about good flow and technical challenge. For that, you will only know for sure when you drive it.

·
Registered
985 Posts
\\\even for me \i think the curves at the end of the top straight are too tight and waste the advantage of a big track of havomh a lomg fast section. As with the other commnts the pit lane needs to be as long as possible. To get the best it needs to be at least 1 straight longer 1/2 at in and 1/2 at out to fit pit in and pit out sensors. I don't have space for tpit in/pit out , but would like them as they make digital racing even better. Try taking the pit entry onto the TH vertica straight. Its a big carve up but probably woth it.

Again LC sensors must be AT LEAST 1 strait clear of any corner or you have to install mutiple sensors to ensure car detection. Personally I would add the odd curved XLC. Not perfect but better than not having them.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hi [email protected]'s

Mr Flippant is dead right on the lane-length equality not being important.

Club-racer types may disagree on that one though.

I haven't bothered with equal lane length AT ALL for 10 years, it makes NO SENSE !!!

As a kid they tell you, that's how it should be, NONSENSE.

My current MRW Motor Speedway circuit has lanes of 15m & 14.5m, quite a difference !
Now tell me which lane is quicker ?
Yep.
The longer one by 2 or 3 tenths per lap.

I would concentrate on the compounding of the corners, as Mr Flippant says, & not pay ANY attention to lane length at all.

Cheers

Si.

You have the basis of an exellent plan.
When it comes to a 'corner', try & make it 'do one thing' not 'EVERYTHING at once'.

Hope that makes sense.
Look at the corner layouts & transitions of classic old-school race tracks.
Copy them, compress them a little, & you get good ideas for corner arrangements.
Thats what I do anyhow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts