SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time, I am using plaster cloth for scenery. (I used papier-mache on my first track) I find it almost impossible to get a tight butt joint between two adjacent edges and if I overlap them, I get a ridge. Right now it looks awful.

Should I be concerned about where the layers meet?
Should I stop trying to do large strips and just do small random patches?
Should I grind the ridges down with a Dremel or just rest assured that when the flock goes down it will be fine?

·
Bill Beggs
1,947 Posts
Depends how anal you are. I have not had any comments from the Monday night racers about my over laps.

I used a roll of blue shop towels dipped in PofP for mine. A thick coat of flat paint filled the seams some. There are wrinkles in it too which gives it character.

More pics here

Visit My Website

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I agree with Black3sr. Also, real/natural landscapes are only smooth when seen from a distance. Up close they have ridges and bumps all over the place.

As my Dad says "If you cannot hide it, make a feature of it"! Make the overlaps bigger, have the surrounding area undulating. Grass will make it look better and if needed trees and bushes also help to cover joins etc.

Relax and remember while you know the issues and errors on a layout's landscaping, others see it as a whole and rarely notice the issues.

Cheers,
Philip

·
Registered
304 Posts
After i have laid the plaster cloth I just mix plaster of paris, let it start to thicken, then paint that on.
Usually does the trick especialy if you give it a couple of coats.

Cheers Cabb77

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just ran my finger across the overlapped areas until they blended together. Once it dries I used UGL masonary waterproofer, it goes on thick with a brush then hardens up. Less messy than plaster of paris.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts