SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now this may be a daft question, but i'm looking for some small needle nose type pliers that are non-magnetic (for use when fiddling with magnets).

Does anyone know if such things exist and if so, where I could find some?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Sorry... I can't help it

Plastic pliers.... chocolate fire guard.... mahogany frying pan.....

No, NO.. Stop it!

Ahem! But seriously, for a moment at least,
The closest things I'm aware of that may be suitable, would be some sort of stainless medical clamp or forceps?

Anyone else?

-Rob

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
stainless steel would be magnetic. No positive ideas, i'm afraid, though i have seen some plastic tweezers in my time. Dunno where you can get em, or if they wud break easily

·
Registered
714 Posts
Stainless steels vary quite a lot in their susceptibility to magnetism - so there may be some where it's low enough not to matter.

A search in Google for non-magnetic tools will find all sorts of things.
Here is one.
Oxford Instruments

That lot will be very expensive, but I think you may find what you need with a little surfing via Google.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Some computer or small electrics supply houses should have some thing similar to what you are looking for. They are useful in these applications because they do not conduct electricity. Also depending on what you are using them for a plastic clamp may work. I have a slew of small plastic clamps that I use to hold parts & cars while gluing or painting. That way I do not end up with brightly colored fingers. Check your local hardware store.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
yes - computer tools: some tweezer things for putting chips in. Best place for unusual tools is rs-components, much bigger and better range than maplins. You will have to open a 'trade' account with them, but after that they are happy if u just want to buy 1 bolt

·
Registered
576 Posts
Plastic pliers really DO exist.
I've got several in my bathroom cupboard.
Or, actually, my wife does.
Uses them for plucking eyebrows, or something ;-)
I have no idea where she's got them, though,
unfortunately does she.
Came as gifts on the cover of women's beauty mags,
is a qualified guess, because of cheapness.
Ask your wife/girlfriend for advice on where to
obtain one.

·
Rich Dumas
3,539 Posts
316 stainless steel is not magnetic, but I have never seen tools made of it. 316 is rather difficult to work, but it has greater corrosion resistance than the the more common stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts