SlotForum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
386 Posts
Hi

In the 60s, fiberglas bodies were common. Simply, the resins of the time were unable to actually survive ANYTHING, they would shatter like glass. So, builders would put a layer of glas mat in the mold to help with strength.

I have fibreglas bodies that have been in use as slot cars since 63 that still Do the job.

One of my earliest cars(I don't remember precisely WHEN I did it), originally was a motor scavaged from a wrecked locomotive and put in a Merit Plastic 1/24 shelf body. That body shattered(old plastic also does that) sometime in the mid 60s. The car languished for a long time. Until a friend gave me a copy of a Merit Maseriti in fibreglas.

Modern resin bodies are a LOT tougher than the old ones. I have found them to be at least as survivable as converting a normal shelf model to a slot car. And a LOT MORE durable than any vac body I have used.

You do yourself a favor if you reinforce potential trouble areas. I simply use epoxy and cloth tape. Along seams, and with any part that might be vulnerable.

HOWEVER.... REMEMBER.....

"THEY ARE ALL DOOMED".

What do you want, a car you used and used up, or a car some archeologist digs up in a dump in 5000 years?

Fate

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.