SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
redstar
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,heres 2 sets 1 ho & 1 1/30 scale.theses were made in mexico in the 1960s under licence by marx.the cars are the same as the us cars except for the colors,& the cars had no marx markings on them.the autopista salto infernal set (which has a greatly absurb picture) has 2 indy cars in it.the autopista ho set has a stingray & a t bird in it.both sets are quite rare.i also included photos of 2 lotus f1s & a black lister jag. thanks,bernard

·
Stranger Things 2
575 Posts
Fascinating again Bernard. Would love to see your museum in person someday.

That black Lister Jag is almost an exact rip of the Scalextric Lister....

I've seen that red "chunkier" indy Offy before, but that black Offy looks quite nice ... I like it in that black

Cheers, Michael

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
The two "Offy" cars are the Willard Battery Spl (modified Watson-Offy driven by Parnelli Jones and of which the Marx replica was a rather ugly duckling looking like some platypus that would have taken a wrong turn considering how gorgeous the real car is) and the STP-Novi with the Novi V8 engine, pre-Ferguson era as driven by Art Malone, Bobby Unser...
The Lotus type 29 remains the same. The Lister appears to use the same body/chassis as one that Marx produced in Hong Kong and distributed in the US inside sets made for Sears, but was also certainly made in Mexico for the same reason as explained below.
The PlastiMarx "AutoPista" sets were not only produced under license but appear to have used new tooling made in Mexico, amazing considering that Marx could have simply shipped bulk product from their US factories. But highly protectionist import duties forced many South American toy companies to make their own tooling. Things have changed for Mexico because of the NAFTA treaty, but Brazil is still under the same highly protectionist regime...

·
Registered
942 Posts
Yes, I am also agree that this is a clear case of license.

It seems that Marx set up a factory in Mexico that called Plastimarx.

But Phillipe, I did not notice until now that Mexico has become material to be marketed in the USA. So far I have units that have been detected Plastimarx target the Mexican market.

With Hong Kong is different.

Phillipe, do Sears warehouse units sold with the white label "Allstate" came from Hong Kong?. Is there any way to differentiate this Hong Kong units with respect to those made in USA or Mexico?

A third source, also comes from Hong Kong too but on a smaller scale material at 1:32.

·
Registered
942 Posts
mirrorman :

The Lister-Jaguar Plastimarx or Marx have no correspondence with Scalextric.

Note: notice that this Lister-Jaguar unit is injected in red, but original factory black painted

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Bernard seems correct in describing the two Lotus single-seaters as F1 cars, rather than Type 29s (the 1963 Indycars). They look different from the HK-made Marx that is roughly a Lotus 29. I have one and the wheels are about all that look the same.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Marx made in USA by Marx, marketed in USA and Canada.

1:24 Ferrari 250 GTO´63
1:24 Chaparral 2A
1:24 Ferrari 158 GP
1:24 Lotus 38 Indy

1:32 Aston Martin DBR GT
>1:32 Lister-Jaguar GT

>1:32 Mercedes 300 SL GT
>1:32 Jaguar E GT
>1:32 Watson Special Indy´60-62
>1:32 Metal Car Indy´60-62
>1:32 Ferrari Dino SP GT´62
>1:32 Lotus-Ford 29 Indy´63 ( yes ... was an Indy ! )
>1:32 Willard Battery Special Indy´63 ( winner ! )
>1:32 Novi Special Indy´63

>1:32 Maserati Birdcage GT´60/61
>1:32 Ferrari 250 GT ( It's a fancy car)

1:32 Hot Rod Ford A Dragster
1:32 Ford Mustang GT´64

There is also a range H0 but I apologize us, it's something that I'm interested and that I have no idea.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Marx made in Hong Kong by " Speedmarx " manufactured for the U.S. market and Canada.

In my opinion there are great possibilities that the same factory has produced Speedmarx, Speedking and Speedtrax.

<<< 1:32 Vanwall GP´57
<<< 1:32 Corvette Stingray´63
<< 1:32 Lotus 29 GP´63
<<< 1:32 Chaparral 2F

·
Registered
942 Posts
Marx made in Mexico by " Plastimarx ", marketed in Mexico.

Marx licensed cars that are injected into Mexico through the original molds of Marx.

1:32 Aston Martin DBR GT
>1:32 Lister-Jaguar GT
>1:32 Lotus-Ford 29 Indy´63 ( yes ... was an Indy ! )
>1:32 Willard Battery Special Indy´63 ( winner ! )
>1:32 Novi Special Indy´63
>1:32 Maserati Birdcage GT´60/61
>1:32 Ferrari 250 GT ( It's a fancy car)

<< 1:32 Lotus 29 GP´63

HO slot cars too, but sorry no Idea.

·
Jim Moyes
5,045 Posts
QUOTE (Pechuga_VLC @ 17 Nov 2011, 14:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Lister-Jaguar Plastimarx or Marx have no correspondence with Scalextric.

Are you sure of that?

The Scalextric Lister is such a spectacularly awful model of the real car that it seems inconceivable that somebody completely unaware of the Scalextric model could come up with something so similar!

·
Registered
942 Posts
I really doubt you're saying, because I have no Scalextric ahead but if Marx, ha ha ha.

The next slot to the market that I will try to check and comment here.

·
redstar
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi everyone,tonight i will post photos of the plastimarx & scalextric lister jag.you will see the differences.the mexican version may be inspired by the the scalextric,it is quite different.only the windshield seem the same.the plastimarx body is shorter than the scalextric one & there are quite a few other differences i will show tonight. i will also show the comparisons between the canadian,us,mexican,british,& hongkong lister jags.thanks,bernard

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
From my Chamber of Horrors, here is the (roughly) 1/32 Marx Lotus 29 Indycar, made in Hong Kong. The roll hoop has broken off. The car is quite different from the rear-engined single-seaters in Bernard's photo.

Marx apparently made a version of a 1.5-litre Lotus GP car, presumably like Bernard's PlastiMarx pair. There's little point in debating exactly which Lotus, as they're such blobby models, but the description "1:32 Lotus 29 GP´63" is misleading because there was no Type 29 grand prix car. Did that term ever appear in print, in a Marx list or on a box?

I don't think Bernard gave the scale or size of his Lotus F1s, but they're presumably c1/32.
Rob J

·
redstar
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hi,heres photos of the lister jags made by marx usa,marx mexico,marx canada,early scalextric,& speedking.the plasimarx is shorter than the scalextric,the headlights are different,the hoodscoupe is different,the drivers head is different,& the backs of the seats are different..the canadian & plastimarx jags dont have the round marx label molded in the bottom of the chassis.you can see the plastimarx contacts are the later double compared to the usa made jag.finally there is a photo of the speedking lister jag next to the later scalextric jag.thanks,bernard

·
Jim Moyes
5,045 Posts
QUOTE (SAMPSON @ 19 Nov 2011, 04:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>finally there is a photo of the speedking lister jag next to the later scalextric jag.

Aaah, I see! So you are saying that if there was any copying/influence, then it was from the Marx car.

·
redstar
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hi mr m,yes,i think the marx jag was inspired by the scalextric car,but it is too different to be a copy.im sure they had a scalextric lister jag & aston martin in their posession & they studied their design ,then did their own,just like lionel with their brm & cooper.you can see with marx prototype the use of some scalextric parts like in my earlier blog on marx prototypes.thanks,bernard

·
Registered
942 Posts
I speak only of Plastimarx 1:32.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When we study the mechanics certainly were the first cars, the cars with star-shaped wheels and Mabuchi 15r short shaft version :

1:32 Aston Martin DBR GT white or red
>1:32 Lister-Jaguar GT white or red

They are absolutely identical cars both outside and inside to those made in USA, such as tires with legend Marx.
The only difference I have been able to detect, has been that many of them were painted in a paint factory for a quite inappropriate that is often missed.

It is quite difficult to classify color injected, paints and original stickers, but apparently were injected plastic white and red, while that can be found poor painted in white, blue, silver or black and probably any other paint.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a second period we can find some cars, some of which were injected in other colors than those of USA and even in their wheels has Plastimarx legend. They have flat wheels. So far I have found that the models were injected in some different colors :

>1:32 Lotus-Ford 29 Indy´63 white, pink, red, green, blue.
>1:32 Willard Battery Special Indy´63 white, yellow, blue, brown, black.
>1:32 Novi Special Indy´63 white, yellow, red, brown.

Willard and Novy used a Mabuchi 15r short shaft, but Lotus-Ford a grey 16d, I think as 1º version SP-500 motor.

In third period, the cars used spoked wheels and another Mabuchi 16d

>1:32 Maserati Birdcage GT´60/61 bright orange
>1:32 Ferrari 250 GT ( It's a fancy car) fluorescent green

1 - 18 of 18 Posts