SlotForum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
So Hornby have a new man with an electronic games and console background who has been given a brief to look at new marketing opportunities overseas.

Some of you have hinted that you could do a better job.

Prove it here by telling us what you would do if you were Mr Jeffrey!

I will score each reply out of 10!

Moped

PS and I do not want the normal rubbish like Hornby could produce cars that run properly without magnets or they should ditch the guide shroud. These have to be the big mega ideas.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My major idea for Mr Jeffrey would be that he/Hornby should consider producing "Digital Pro" and "Sportsworld" packages that are console based in addition to the PC based packages.

X Box and PS2 internet gaming is the biggest growth area in console gaming.

There may be technical reasons why this has not already been done of course with RMS for example. Maybe the slot car market for software linked to it is currently too small to support the cost of a console conversion of Scalextric PC software.

Moped

PS I do have other ideas that I am unable to publish in an open forum but the one above scores 10/10.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I give moped's idea 2/10 for effort.

QUOTE I do have other ideas that I am unable to publish in an open forum

you can't publish them because they are too stupid, illegal, or you are afraid slot forum members will set up a rival slot car manufacturing company which due to your advice would annihialte Scalextric?

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE I do have other ideas that I am unable to publish in an open forum

Then, since you don't work for Hornby or, we assume, any secret government slot car based intelligence agency.... why would you say the above?

Inte.... get those restraints ready!

Astro... you are too kind... I make it 1/10.

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
QUOTE I would get them to use a proper guide, make decent cars and have you restrained..
Now I would give that 20/10!

I second that.

Doc Pea

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
Make new track.

Sport warps and distorts wayyyyy to easily.

If that ain't big enough an idea then I'll expand it:

Track that comes in a 'kit form' with moldable curves and rails. At a certain temperature, the track/rails can be shaped to form curves of your desire. A special iron could be included to aid this proccess. The end result would be similar to a routed track, but actually be made of plexi material. Once cool (under 50 degrees) the track remains solid and does not bend, distort or be terrible like sport does.

I have no idea how feasible this is, about toelrances or anything. And I'm sure serious hobbyists would still go routed anyway. This is for the christmas buyer who wants a bit more than an extended oval with restricted radii.

I certainly wouldn't do anything with consoles, the control systems (joypads) wouldn't be sufficient to control something similar to an rms /sportworld system. Major defecit is lack of keyboard/mouse as standard. And consumers aren't going to buy them especially so their christmas kits can be hooked up the the x-box.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Has the Mop turned traitor on his hero?
QUOTE I do not want the normal rubbish like Hornby could produce cars that run properly without magnets or they should ditch the guide shroud.
One must wonder why the notion that Scalextric could produce these desirable characteristics strikes the Mop as rubbish.
He appears to be suggesting that they are incapable!

He isn't going going to regain any brownie points in Margate by posting remarks like that in public!
I really think they could do it, Mop, I don't think it's rubbish at all.
We thought you had more faith!!!

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
QUOTE Make new track.
Sport warps and distorts wayyyyy to easily.

When I made such a suggestion a few years back, I was called names. Is it now OK to say so?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'll take another tack and suggest Moped IS part of Hornby...therefore Mr Jeffrey, as his new boss I presume, give this Mr. Rider fellow a raise, for he hath sung the praises of Hornby and defended this company's honour above and beyond the realm of duty at least 1000 times over!

OK, with that out of the way, I create and sell ideas for a living so giving them away is counter intuitive, but oh to get a 10/10 from Moped, i must come up with at least one..

hmmm, mega toy idea builing on Hornby heritage, smash hit in the great big United States...

One word - NASCAR

Invest in a team, big mega sponsorship even part OWNERSHIP. Tie in Wal-Mart to your team deal, give them a FREE ride.

Create Wal-Mart EXCLUSIVE NASCAR slot car sets - add all the bells and whistles (digital, computer etc)

Take your team involvement into NEW video games, Scalextric World, RC, mini RC - licence your car everywhere and on anything!

Turn Scalextric into a synonym for electric motor car racing (video and tactile) in America via the marketing power of Nascar and the retail power of Wal-Mart. This is just the begining!

There Mr. Rider, how did I do?

For a full marketing plan and sponsorship leveraging plan for the above idea, feel free to have Mr. Jeffrey contact me via this forum.

Best, Ken R

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LMP04 and Ken R certainly pick up the prizes for originality at the moment.

Not too sure about the Wal-mart tie in though for a number of reasons so Ken R gets 7/10.

LMP04 and the flexitrack scores 4/10 for the reason that I cannot see how this would expand the slot car hobby market in the USA or overseas but it would certainly make the experience for existing users even more fun.

Sadly Intergrale and TSRF are simply covering old ground and show no originality at all so 0/10. These are "rubbish" ideas and this is the context in which the word was used earlier just to cover any questions over this.

More scores tomorrow if anything else turns up.

Moped

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And the point is Astro?

It is made very clear in the opening thread that ideas will be scored by myself.

If the thought of participating in this thread or reading this thread as a result makes folk feel ill then I have a solution for them.

Don't read or participate in this thread! Simple!

Moped

PS and if you don't agree with the scores...

...tough. Its a one man panel. We are not talking commitee here!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
the only fun thing about this thread is seeing moped making a fool of himself. If that is not the point, maybe the moderators should delete the whole thing

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.