SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a Strombecker wheel? The channel for the tire is concave, rather than rectangular. I recently acquired a Strombecker brass chassis with Scuttler motor, which came with 4 of these wheels. Does anyone make urethane tires that fit this wheel?

Water Liquid Door Wood Fluid

·
Administrator
10,017 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

That's definitely a Strombecker wheel, but I think it was only used on the front. On the one car easy to check (Aston Martin 007), the front tires are just large o-rings! That car has more standard rear wheels/tires, but not sure if some of the other Strombecker kits with the Scuttler motor had those kinds of wheels or the concave ones in back.

If somebody has one of these kits handy, or just a car, feel free to chime in! If not, I can look, but it may take awhile! ... Hell's bells, you got me curious and I undid the pile of cars... I've got two more or less original kits: a Lotus 19 that had 4 of the more standard Strombecker wheels with the extra flange on the inside (like a disc brake), the same as on the rear of my Aston; and then an XKE that had 4 different and larger wheels entirely, but not concave either.

The only one with these wheels I'm sure of is the Aston, and I think they were only on the fronts.

Don

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting Don. The seller said this chassis was for the Aston Martin. I intend to use it with a Porsche RS61 body.

Here is an instruction sheet that seems to show the concave wheels on both axles.
Motor vehicle Font Automotive tire Art Auto part

·
Registered
736 Posts
Yes, as Don says, these rims originally came as fronts on the Aston and came also as fronts and rears on the Scuttler powered Porsche R61 and Lotus XIX. In spite of the concave channel, standard tyres for narrow 1/2 inch rims (those for a Revell GTO for instance) fit well.

The rears of the Aston are wider and very similar to the rears on a Revell Chaparral kit; they doesn't appear on any other Strombecker car, as far as I know.

The Scuttler XKE-Jag and GTO have, indeed, taller rims. The narrow Strombecker 1/2 inch rims with the disc came as fronts in the competition kits of 1966 ( brass pan chassis, TC32 motor). I have never seen them mounted on a Scuttler chassis, but they fit and could have been factory mounted on Scuttler chassis if there was a shortage of the usual rims at the end of the production.

Hope this helps,

Eduardo

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Eduardo! I bought the Porsche as an unassembled body kit at a slot car show many years ago. Looking forward to giving it a proper chassis and motor. I have a Ferrari with a Scuttler motor and chassis. It is a fun car to drive. Hoping the Porsche will be similar.

·
Registered
736 Posts
You are welcome phrygian. I agree, these Scuttler cars are a lot of fun to drive, beside many preserved examples, I have some of them running regularly. The Porsche and Lotus are a bit less forgiving due to the shorter wheelbase, and, due to this, more challenging, which I prefer.

If you plan to run your car, maybe you should know that some of these cars have a weak point at the U-bracket --molded with the body in the case of the Porsche-- that holds the chassis at the rear. In the early versions this bracket is very weak and prone to break, especially if the only mounting screw has been left a bit loose. At factory, they first added a reinforcing brass piece in order to transfer the side loads away from the tiny ends of the U. Later on, they redesigned the bracket to a far more solid version. The picture shows the early version with the reinforcement brass piece on the left, and one of the modified versions (there were many) on the right. It is of a couple of GTOs, but for the Porsche is similar.

If your body is an early version you may consider adding a similar brass piece, which may be easily made. I may provide more pictures and details if needed.

Have fun with the car,

Eduardo

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
My Ferrari is the early version. I reinforced the rear bracket with styrene. Not very elegant, but effective. I haven't checked the Porsche yet. Thanks for the tip Eduardo!

·
Administrator
10,017 Posts
Yep, thanks guys for clearing this up. I had a vague memory of the concave wheels on the Lotus I got in 1965! But wasn't all that sure, and my current version has the different wheels: it's new, but not sealed.

I agree with Eduardo, these are nice running cars and fun to drive. The Scuttler is pretty decent, but it's even better in the 6V version, or the 6V Avenger!

Don
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Automotive design

And you gotta have bullet locknuts of course!
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Automotive design Gas

It's easy to adapt the Scuttler/brass chassis combo to earlier bodies:

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Toy Motor vehicle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is the chassis I recently acquired. For some reason it only has the bullet locknuts on the rear axle.

I have to make the body mounting bracket to fit the chassis to my Porsche. Would one of you be kind enough to measure the depth of the bracket please?

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
736 Posts
Mines seem made from 1/4 x 1/32 in brass strip. Total height of the formed piece is 8.6 mm.

By the way, your chassis is of the early type, with dropped centre. The Aston never had a such, but the later straight single piece version. Some of the Porsche kits came with three eared spinners, but not those you have at front, which seem AMT to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Eduardo! The bracket should be relatively easy to make. I found a couple bullet nuts in my parts bin. My track is currently covered up because of a remodeling project. Looking forward to completion of the project and running the Porsche!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts