SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi All,

After years racing on plastic (Ninco, Scalextric Sport and Carrera, I tried them all) I decided to create my own track in MDF.

This is how it looks right now (it only needs some with lines). You can call it a design track.

Lenght: appr. 11 mtr.
Slot depth: 7 mm
Distance between the slots: 10 mm

I started to outline the track on three standard peaces of MDF.

The routing process was done in a easy way. I made a peace of wood with to ball bearing to slide along the table. After the first slot, I moved the ball bearing 10 cm in order to cut the second slot.

After using the router I could start to paint and laying the copper foil.

The equipment is still the same: DS Power 3, DS Racing 200, Bridge (although customized) and Slot.it controllers. The cupboard and bridge are painted in the colors of the track.

The result.

I am very happy with the result. Although it is a design track it is great racing on it. Racing on wood is the best there is.

It took me two weeks after working hours (and Saturdays and Sundays). A lot of work, but it is great fun to race on a track that you have created yourself.

JeeWee

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. The Paul Ricard track in France inspired me for the colors. I do not like the light gray color, so I have chosen a darker tint.
The tyre walls are from scx. Sold higher but I cut them.

·
Lars Ole
1,640 Posts
Hi Jan
Nice new track I love the clean design alot.

So what happenned to the Ninco track, and are you still residing in Denmark ?

Cheers
Lars

·
Doilum
975 Posts
As I have already said elsewhere, Well done, this is a very nice looking track. Love the theme. Maybe you could route a small circle and have Jenson's BrawnGP doing donuts, with a little smoke maker secreted away somewhere? (Maybe have a word with Sig for tips).

Al.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
QUOTE (chief32s @ 24 Aug 2010, 21:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Maybe you could route a small circle and have Jenson's BrawnGP doing donuts, with a little smoke maker secreted away somewhere?

That would look good!

The only thing I would do JeeWee is get two strips of rubber wall & run one along the inside of the main straight and one up the middle of the arm. Only to stop you having head ons with errant cars when you're racing & wrecking them. It's a beautiful looking track though. A thoroughly modern look in a format where we often like to go "retro" goodness - I'm looking at a 50 year old "Style" for my new one and I'm only 45!

Funny - I've been looking at the Tilke tracks from the point of view of being flat & sealed without any grass as a bad thing until I saw your model!

·
Registered
524 Posts
QUOTE (Racebaaninfo @ 24 Aug 2010, 19:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am very happy with the result. Although it is a design track it is great racing on it. Racing on wood is the best there is.

It took me two weeks after working hours (and Saturdays and Sundays). A lot of work, but it is great fun to race on a track that you have created yourself.

JeeWee

Nice work, might have to pinch some ideas for my track
Your a fast worker, 2 weeks is outstanding.
I agree, creating a wood track is the best there is

- Cam

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Very sharp looking track. Never been a fan of a flat track, but that really looks the business. Great shape. Colour/decoration is fab. And the bonus, if you get some perspex cut for the top you can use it as a banquet table.

Embs

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I still like the surface of the Ninco track but the MdF track is really smooth. It is an other racing world. The tire choice is now very important.
Some rubber tires (the hard ones) are not usable. No grip at all.
I use silicon tires of Slot Angels on most of my cars now.

The possibilities of the controller of Slot.it more interesting now. On this track you notice small changes on the controller immediately. This was not the case on my Ninco track.

I only can advise people to change to wood. Its gives the best racing experience! I can tell (uhum..), I used them all, Carrera, Scalextric Classic and Sport and Ninco.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I like it! Very cool looking!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.