SlotForum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i made some pics of this slot car and i thought you could be interested in..

But first, a bit of history..

Policar, like some of you for sure knows, produced just in 1967 a 4 cars-range, called "Policar Super": a Ferrari P3, an Osi Scarabeo, a Lamborghini Miura and a De Tomaso Mangusta..they all were made in acetate, so lighter (and more fragile..) than the normal plastic, they had an "H" chassis and an original Policar engine..so, they were the Italian answer to the most professional American slot cars..

Not many were produced, due to their expensive prices, and even less remain today, given that their body was so fragile that a small mistake on the track could lead to break it..

For this reason, the year after, 1968, Policar stopped producing them and replaced with other 4 slots, called "Policar Racing": a BRE Samurai, an Osi Bisiluro, a Ferrari Dino Competizione and an Alfa Romeo 33/2..but they were quite different from the previous four, because the body was in Moplen (kind of normal plastic), the chassis wasn't "H-shaped" anymore and the engine was a Japanese Mabuchi..so, they were quite stronger and more reliable, but not so amazing like the previous ones..anyway, even this production stopped in just one year's time, and Policar concentrated itself just on the 1/32 and 1/43 scale (in this case with its Dromocar brand)

So, the Ferrari P3 i show you now is not just the rarest of all the 1/24 Policar Super models, but it's also in the even rarer yellow livery (it was produced just in red and yellow, but for some reasons there are more red ones than yellow ones). And so far, just 5 Policar 1/24 yellow Ferrari P3 are known left in existence..and this one is one of them

And as you can see (and because you asked me to do so, Don
i also show the difference between the chassis of the Ferrari P3 and that one of the Ferrari Dino Competizione..not quite similar, i guess..

Well, in a couple of days i'm off to Europe (Belgium, Germany, Italy) where i should collect stuff you humans never heard of..
and i'll try to post them later..and, honestly, the encouragement i so often get by fellow collectors is really useful in this almost never ending hunt for items from the past..

Cheers, david

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Thanks for sharing David, and for remembering the chassis pix!

The Alfa and Ferrari with the iso-fulcrum chassis and hard (Cuc-like) bodies are a bit easier to find, or at least were... but those vac-body Policars are as scarce as hen's teeth! And that yellow one even scarcer.

Any more Policar 1/24 pics very welcome of course... (I'll try to add mine when I get a chance, but without the diorama - no room in small Parisian apartment!).

I thought they were made for more than just one year, but I guess not.

Don

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys..

And about the layout, Kev, well, you're right but not totally
, because it's an Egger Silberpfeil layout, so, as you know, basically a Jouef made for the German market..

Actually, this layout was made exactly in 1968 by a Munich model Shop (there's still a plaque with the address) and was later used in a pub/restaurant in Germany during the 70s: you had to insert 1 DM in the coin box (that i have as well, still working!) and you could run the slots for 7 minutes..so, being more than 40 years old, i guess this could really be the oldest, always working Jouef/Egger layout around, with all its parts still attached to the original wooden base..i just cleaned it and added some real moss, some bonsai trees and some small rocks from Mont Blanc to make it more realistic. The transformer is a German Titan and the controllers come from the Swiss brand Kitty, rare in themselves and more "professional" than the common Jouef ones.

A curiosity: on one of the wooden walls, you can see a vintage adhesive advert for the 1966 "Grand Prix" movie..my guess is that the restaurant's owner put it to attract customers, using the fame of the movie that, at the end of the 60s, was still quite popular..so he pushed people to play and feel themselves like the drivers/actors of the film..

In the future i'll take some specific pics of the layout, if it's interesting for someone

david

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
It is, it is... would like to see those Kitty controllers! and an overall view of the layout.

Between Jouef and Circuit-24, controllers were not really a strong point in French slot car sets! (or in most others come to think of it, sort of design down to a price...) But at least with the Circuit-24 controllers, you could develop your thumb muscles!

Don

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Turns out I had a few photos in my bucket - hope you don't mind me adding these to your thread David.
Don

From the same vac-form body series, Osi Scarabeo and Mangusta:

Then the Alfa from the hard-body series:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts