SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

· Registered
590 Posts
Hi Pete,
Just read your synopsis of potential Policar events. I am keen to see an inter-club series among the Northern tracks. IE Pontefract, Pendle, Hawthorne Park, Wirral, maybe Small world, and Denbigh.
A number of meetings with less far to travel. Perhaps there is room for a Southern based version too, with a North v South finals meeting to decide a National Champion.
I'm sure there are a number of club slot racers who need to be tempted away from there own clubs as a stepping stone to National meetings.

· Registered
51 Posts
Hi Mark, and all the other good people hoping to join in with the WSR Policar meeting,

PM sent about paying the entry fee...thanks for asking......if anyone else wants to use paypal for the entry fee just PM me on slot forum and I will send you the info.

The meeting is starting to come together in many ways....so here is an update as at Tuesday 14th Feb......with a few weeks to go....

Wirral Slot Car club is run by Paul Taylor...he is the boss man....but this is the first open meeting that Paul will be running....the idea for the meeting came from Paul Cooper ...who will also be one of the people in charge on the day.....and Wirral club member Peter Wright will add his knowledge and experience to try and make the day run smoothly and be an enjoyable day out for everyone who attends.

Wirral Slot Car club will be running Policar racing at their club night on Tuesday 7th March and of course all are welcome ......it would be polite to let Paul Taylor/Paul Cooper/Pete Wright know if you want to join in......Paul Taylor usually opens the club from early afternoon.....3 pm ish....but please do check with Paul/Paul/Peter if you plan to come, just to confirm all the final details. We hope to run through the race computer set up on this night and check that the computer will run all the races the way we want on the actual day.

The race plan is that everyone will have 4 x 5 minute heats that will then deliver a qualifying order for the step up finals.

2 racers will step up from every final.....in other words...the top 2 qualifyers will go straight to the A final...everybody else will have lots of chances to join them.....the 2 racers who 'step up' to the A final will be razor sharp after lots of close racing...while the 2 top qualifyers will have cold tyres and much worry about the 2 aces joining them who will be well and truly 'in the zone'.......

All the finals will be a minimum of 5 minutes......but our hope is...depending on how much time we have on the day.....to gradually increase the length of time of the finals so that the A final ends up being a 10 minute event.

The basic idea is that everyone should have lots of track time on the day...and lots of close racing against competitors lapping around the same time bracket.

Doors open at 9.30 am.....practice until 1.30 pm

The entry fee includes refreshments...but these need to be taken and enjoyed during practice time.

Racing starts at 1.30 pm

We hope that the meeting will end around 5.30 pm......

The prizegiving will include a 'spirit of the meeting' award...we have no idea how we will choose the winner of this.....but enthusiasm, sporting spirit, distance traveled to attend the meeting, or the car that lands the farthest distance from the track (on the floor or up a wall) may well be the kind of thing that will sway the judges on the day.....

Really big news regarding the event on Saturday 11th March.....is that Paul Taylor was worried that the hot dog lunch included in the entry fee...would not match the standard of his excellent coffee.....so Paul has taken the executive decision to put gourmet chicken stew on the menu instead.....a veggie lunch option will be available but again it would be great to let Paul/Paul/Peter know if you want the veggie option just to make sure that no one is disappointed on the day....

So this seems to me the list of officials and duties we have planned for the day....in order of importance of course !

Paul Taylor...meeting boss....in charge of coffee and food....in charge of race control computer

Paul Cooper.....second in command meeting boss.....also in charge of lemon drizzle cake arrangements..(hopefully....)

Peter Wright.....in charge of race control for most of the day.....

Pete Crane.....in charge of scrutineering (standard Policar - F22 Policar tyres and aluminium Policar wheels ok, 65mm max width, 1 mm minimum ground clearance.....and remember...real men do not use magnets....!!)......and also in charge of practice from 9.30 to 1.30 pm working with race control to ensure that first time visitors have plenty of track time during practice. I also hope to write a race report and e mail it to all entrants as a momento of the meeting....so go easy on me for marshalling as I try to keep up with the racing.....

Entry list as at 14.2.2023

Jeff Norton
Mark Brandwood
Andi Rowland
Pete Crane - paid
Rob Heseltine
Paul Taylor - paid
Paul Cooper - paid
Steve Hills - paid
Moss Hills - paid
Peter Wright
Paul Minnis
Kev (WSR club member)
Adam (WSR club member)
John (WSR club member)
Mike Williamson
David Farrow
David Lawson
Tony Avis
John Moxon
Stephen Moxon

That brings us to the magic number of 20 racers.....but often at meetings...people drop out for various reasons.....so we reckon that we have space for another 2 racers to join in if anyone out there is tempted...we can just squeeze 22 in without causing the entrants any problems...and it makes sense to use that capacity to the full just in case anyone can't actually make it on the day.

Cheers

Pete

· Registered
6 Posts
Hi Mark, and all the other good people hoping to join in with the WSR Policar meeting,

PM sent about paying the entry fee...thanks for asking......if anyone else wants to use paypal for the entry fee just PM me on slot forum and I will send you the info.

The meeting is starting to come together in many ways....so here is an update as at Tuesday 14th Feb......with a few weeks to go....

Wirral Slot Car club is run by Paul Taylor...he is the boss man....but this is the first open meeting that Paul will be running....the idea for the meeting came from Paul Cooper ...who will also be one of the people in charge on the day.....and Wirral club member Peter Wright will add his knowledge and experience to try and make the day run smoothly and be an enjoyable day out for everyone who attends.

Wirral Slot Car club will be running Policar racing at their club night on Tuesday 7th March and of course all are welcome ......it would be polite to let Paul Taylor/Paul Cooper/Pete Wright know if you want to join in......Paul Taylor usually opens the club from early afternoon.....3 pm ish....but please do check with Paul/Paul/Peter if you plan to come, just to confirm all the final details. We hope to run through the race computer set up on this night and check that the computer will run all the races the way we want on the actual day.

The race plan is that everyone will have 4 x 5 minute heats that will then deliver a qualifying order for the step up finals.

2 racers will step up from every final.....in other words...the top 2 qualifyers will go straight to the A final...everybody else will have lots of chances to join them.....the 2 racers who 'step up' to the A final will be razor sharp after lots of close racing...while the 2 top qualifyers will have cold tyres and much worry about the 2 aces joining them who will be well and truly 'in the zone'.......

All the finals will be a minimum of 5 minutes......but our hope is...depending on how much time we have on the day.....to gradually increase the length of time of the finals so that the A final ends up being a 10 minute event.

The basic idea is that everyone should have lots of track time on the day...and lots of close racing against competitors lapping around the same time bracket.

Doors open at 9.30 am.....practice until 1.30 pm

The entry fee includes refreshments...but these need to be taken and enjoyed during practice time.

Racing starts at 1.30 pm

We hope that the meeting will end around 5.30 pm......

The prizegiving will include a 'spirit of the meeting' award...we have no idea how we will choose the winner of this.....but enthusiasm, sporting spirit, distance traveled to attend the meeting, or the car that lands the farthest distance from the track (on the floor or up a wall) may well be the kind of thing that will sway the judges on the day.....

Really big news regarding the event on Saturday 11th March.....is that Paul Taylor was worried that the hot dog lunch included in the entry fee...would not match the standard of his excellent coffee.....so Paul has taken the executive decision to put gourmet chicken stew on the menu instead.....a veggie lunch option will be available but again it would be great to let Paul/Paul/Peter know if you want the veggie option just to make sure that no one is disappointed on the day....

So this seems to me the list of officials and duties we have planned for the day....in order of importance of course !

Paul Taylor...meeting boss....in charge of coffee and food....in charge of race control computer

Paul Cooper.....second in command meeting boss.....also in charge of lemon drizzle cake arrangements..(hopefully....)

Peter Wright.....in charge of race control for most of the day.....

Pete Crane.....in charge of scrutineering (standard Policar - F22 Policar tyres and aluminium Policar wheels ok, 65mm max width, 1 mm minimum ground clearance.....and remember...real men do not use magnets....!!)......and also in charge of practice from 9.30 to 1.30 pm working with race control to ensure that first time visitors have plenty of track time during practice. I also hope to write a race report and e mail it to all entrants as a momento of the meeting....so go easy on me for marshalling as I try to keep up with the racing.....

Entry list as at 14.2.2023

Jeff Norton
Mark Brandwood
Andi Rowland
Pete Crane - paid
Rob Heseltine
Paul Taylor - paid
Paul Cooper - paid
Steve Hills - paid
Moss Hills - paid
Peter Wright
Paul Minnis
Kev (WSR club member)
Adam (WSR club member)
John (WSR club member)
Mike Williamson
David Farrow
David Lawson
Tony Avis
John Moxon
Stephen Moxon

That brings us to the magic number of 20 racers.....but often at meetings...people drop out for various reasons.....so we reckon that we have space for another 2 racers to join in if anyone out there is tempted...we can just squeeze 22 in without causing the entrants any problems...and it makes sense to use that capacity to the full just in case anyone can't actually make it on the day.

Cheers

Pete
Money sent mark Brandwood

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hi All
the new Ferrari 126 C2 is now available,
Policar Ferrari 126 C2 No.28 Long Beach GP 1982 Didier Pironi
Ref: PC-CAR09a
But this car is not eligible for the WSP as the period it raced in is a decade out and the running gear and wheels are more inline to the Policar Monoposte FI modern. Admittedly this is still a 40 ish old car but still not part of the classic F1 in which Policar has produced in the past few years.
The wheels axle width are a good 70mm so it might have an advantage over the average Classic Policar which we are putting a limit on 65mm.
If anyone wants clarification of the rules please contact us asap, but Peter has already given an outline on the rules to date, what we wasn’t aware of was the Ferrari release and how this car may be thought of as a Classic so just to be sure the cars which are eligible are :
Lotus 72
March 701
Ferrari 321
BrM 160

Not long now so please get back to us if there are any questions.

thanks Paul C

· Registered
2,298 Posts
Evening all,
I have now been sent the lengthened Bevel pinions by Maurizio for the BRM pods.
I'm coming north on Saturday for this event.
So if you need one and have a friend attending the event who can transfer one to you let me know.
I suggest a PM rather than this thread.
Thanks,
Andi

· Premium Member
5,595 Posts
My apologies for this late cancellation but looking at the snow forecasts for the Midlands and the North West on Friday and Saturday Tony and I decided that travel could be risky so we are reluctantly not coming on Saturday. Please keep our entrance fees for your club funds and good luck for a successful race meeting.

All the best
David

· Autoavia
1,335 Posts
As David said above we are really disappointed and had hoped that the forecasts might improve but with heavy snow expected particularly around the Birmingham area it isn't worth the possible risk of getting stuck in the snow. Hope the meeting goes well and maybe we can make it next time.

· Registered
9 Posts
With great regret John and I have to withdraw our entries for tomorrow.
Although the snow seems to be thawing at the moment, with temperatures predicted down to -11 for tonight its recipe for black ice. Then further snow is predicted for tomorrow tea times run home.
Sorry
Stephen

· David Farrow
1,295 Posts
I'll be driving up in the morning, what could possibly go wrong

Reactions: Paul29

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
i understand the concerns on the weather but it is pretty clear here and not to icy at the moment but doesn’t look as though it’s getting colder. All those who have cancelled you will be missed but I understand the concerns. Take care .

· Premium Member
5,595 Posts
There was the potential for things to go wrong when Tony and I made our decision on Thursday evening with the chaos on the roads. We had booked a hotel for Friday night which we have of course paid for and lost. The worst of the snow has blown through but tonight still could be dicey with some more snow forecast driving back in the evening and night. With a 500 mile round trip and all those weather warnings it was a difficult decision.

David

· Autoavia
1,335 Posts
I would have loved to be there but even now many of the internet reports say that conditions are bad across the North and some people were stuck in cars overnight. we also had to take into account that many motorists don't seem to have a clue how to drive in slippery conditions and cause accidents which involve those who do take care.
The forecast for tonight was and still is is more snow and freezing temperatures which could cause problems on a 4 hour journey home and the Met Office are still advising that you should only travel if it is essential.
Hopefully you will have another Policar meet that David and myself can enter but if possible please make it just a little later in the year so that there is less risk of weather problems.
Hope all goes well today and everyone gets home safely.

· Registered
2,298 Posts
What a great race day. Thank you so much for inviting me. I had so much fun!

Great track, extremely well run event and club. Just shows how a similar rule set can give rise to a unique event.

It was a pity I needed to scoot straight after the last race, but my family needed me back by 9 and I just made it.

Never saw a snow flake all weekend which was lucky... A bit rainy for the first couple of hours on the way back.

Some amazing racing and the final was gripping to say the least... I'll let others report on the results.

Good to see a guest in the final is all I'll say!

Thank you to everyone,
Andi

21 - 40 of 55 Posts