SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· David H
4,395 Posts
If it has to be a 1982 car, why the Ferrari? Why not make the Lotus 91 as it's far and away the prettiest F1 of all time. This is very disappointing from Policar, Slot.It and some forum members.
Oh dear. You're entitled to your opinion, you're entitled to be disgusted, but please, leave out the moral lecturing and let those who wish to enjoy history, warts and all, enjoy it.

If you don't like the car, don't buy it. If you're disappointed with Slot.It and Policar, boycott them. I don't need a lecture from someone who thinks he holds the moral high ground. I doubt that Slot.It or Policar do either.

· Registered
223 Posts
Guys.
Only my thoughts on this. I do think the picture in the early post touched a few nerves. Even I winced.
Don't think there is much wrong with a Villeneuve C2.
Was he an out and out winner? Not always.
Was he one of the hardest chargers out there in a car that wasn't all that cop. Yes.
Don't think there is much wrong in celebrating that.
Car in the Zolder Livery. No thanks.
Rindt Hockenheim 70 Lotus when won after racing Ickx so hard.. Yup. Monza livery. Nah.
Peterson Lotus 79 from Austria 78 wet weather master class?. Yup. Lotus 78 from Monza. Nope.
Some might suggest I am splitting a fine hair here but these were my racing heroes when I was a boy.
I cherish the memories of how they made me feel watching them race, and reflect on their sad loss.

Respectfully

Joe

· Registered
3,637 Posts
Mmm I never saw Villenueve racing, just whats available at YT and some ocasional programs on tv, anyway I have heard and read that if Senna didn't existed, his place would be ocupied by Gilles, so he should't have been a bad guy and pilot. I like his F1 Cars and the one being released anytime soon will be in my list. 🙂

· Registered
217 Posts
Mmm I never saw Villenueve racing, just whats available at YT and some ocasional programs on tv, anyway I have heard and read that if Senna didn't existed, his place would be ocupied by Gilles, so he should't have been a bad guy and pilot. I like his F1 Cars and the one being released anytime soon will be in my list. 🙂
As someone old enough to remember this time I think to try and compare Villenueve to Senna is quite a stretch. A good driver but no Senna IMO but then I think Jim Clark was the best of the lot we all have are hero's. As for the cars from the 60's , 70's & 80's I am all for them unfortunately during that time safety was not high on the list, also we would have no Le Mans cars from that era as again to many drivers lost their lives. Regards Greg
PS best looking car for me JPS LOTUS 72

· Registered
17,231 Posts
Since 1923 when the Le Mans 24 Hours began, just 22 drivers have lost their lives at the circuit. Each is a frightful tragedy, of course, but we must maintain a sense of perspective where safety is concerned.

· Registered
268 Posts
Brands hatch 1980 watched Gilles try and get a decent time with the outclassed Ferrari, foot hard down, and the car trying to keep up with him. He was halfway down the field but drove like he was fighting for pole. We were sat on the approach the druids during the race. His engine gave out and he coasted to a stop at druids and walked back down the hill right in front of me, helmet in hand waving and smiling. My camera took that moment to not wind on😔. I definitely need a 126C2 Gilles car.

· Phil Clayton
917 Posts
Well if we're talking contemporary cars to go with the 126 C2, might I suggest to the powers that be at Policar 😉
one, or more, of the following:
Brabham BT50
Osella FA1C
Arrows A4
Ligier JS19

Please, please, please make the Ligier, a marque so under-represented in slot-cars it borders on the criminal

· ParrotGod
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well if we're talking contemporary cars to go with the 126 C2, might I suggest to the powers that be at Policar 😉
one, or more, of the following:
Brabham BT50
Osella FA1C
Arrows A4
Ligier JS19

Please, please, please make the Ligier, a marque so under-represented in slot-cars it borders on the criminal
Not an expert but they all look nice and would make a very nice grid.

· Registered
1,737 Posts
Wonderful, any chance of other 1980's Formula One cars for to race against?
recommendations:
Renault RE30B(as stated above) and
Brabham BT50
Williams FW08
McLaren MP4/1B
Tyrell 011
Lotus 91
Ligier JS19
Alfa Romeo 182

Although to be honest, the opposition doesn't have to be "season accurate" :p(y)

Reactions: Quatrozero

· Registered
223 Posts
With the recent release of the pictures of the Pironi Long Beach spec 126 c2,
and the Villeneuve version on my pre order scope,
I came back to look at this thread again.

Am in so much agreement with 'Filipinetti' and 'Grunpy Gaz'.
More 1982 cars please!
Have to admit I would love to see the late season Tambay and Andretti versions done as well.
Talking to the chaps from Slot It at the Gaydon gig, they did hint at those coming in future.

But such an evocative list of cars.
I did see and acquired shells of the Alfa 182.
Am waiting for the 126 C2 chassis and bitz to become available
so see if usable as a base for the finished build.
There is another '82 car that I think will feature in the scratch build section soon.
But a Lotus 91, that lovely Osella, the championship winning Williams
(had a close look at changing a 1983 Fly 08 into an 82 runner. maybe),
and the thought of a Ligier from that year. Oh yes please.
I know Nonno slot did their thing but missed that boat and not sure about
the vac form finish.

Watched that Ligier run at Brands in 82 at the pre GP tire test. It was so long
the rear sparked and ground out at the bottom of Paddock as the tarmac changed
from drop to climb. It momentarily picked the rears up off the track!
Think a hacksaw took care of that issue......

It is a valid point that Ligiers from that period are so under represented in the model world.
Even at the popular 1/43rd scale you do not see many.
Least the 1/24 paper model crowd embraced them but not the JS19 that I can see.

As I write this I recall the Toleman. End of season car would be a relatively easy one to
scratch out. But the troublesome 'Flying Pig'? Now that would be more than niche......

Oh yeah. The Renault's. Musn't forget those. Maybe we can get some flame effects in
coming off the turbos and the exhausts. That is what I recall most about those!

Hope everyone has a good day watching all the action on TV today
or more importantly, being out and about at a track watch it all up close and personal.

· Registered
1,737 Posts
Rather than the "flying pig" how about the 1983 Toleman instead? :cool:(y)

And why not the Brabham BT52?

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

:love:

· Registered
223 Posts
In response to Gaz's suggestions.

1983 eh?
Don't see many of those.
Never did see the muted 'Senna collection' Brabham or McLaren from that year
which is a real shame.

The 1983 Toleman? Have to admit. That is on the build list. Be a while but always liked that one.....

21 - 40 of 46 Posts