SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

· Premium Member
5,561 Posts
My 312 came with the axle stopper grub screw burred by the factory...

The exhaust detail dragged along the track like skid blocks so I had to carefully prise the two parts off, clean them up and refit in the correct position.

David

· Registered
1,738 Posts
Could somebody up-load a picture showing the "axel stopper" so that I know what to look out for? :O

· Premium Member
5,561 Posts
The 312B body is simple to remove. Two screws in the nose and a tiny screw under the gearbox plus two tiny screws under the pod just behind the motor then the body lifts off.

David

· Registered
1,738 Posts
Just in case, I need to know; by "tiny screw" do you mean grub screw? HOPEFULLY the car is fine and won't require surgery. I have "battery tested" the model and it did appear to be in good order.

· Registered
1,821 Posts
I found some issues with mine..the front wheels didn't touch the track, the exhaust actually did touch the track,the rear wing was "droopy" and the rear axle very tight. I was able to sort all these problems,but it shouldn't be necessary on a car that costs over £50. A shame about the build quality, because it's a beautiful model and to be fair, I haven't had any problems with any of my other Policars. Would I buy anything that Policar release?..Of course I would!

TED...

· Autoavia
1,308 Posts
Photo below is of a pre production model. I haven't bought the car but it sounds like the production cars are the same and they say a picture paints a thousand words.

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Black

To remove the body undo the two screws under the nose which are ahead of the guide, undo the 2 little gold coloured screws that sit just to the rear of the motor roughly level with the bends in the exhaust pipe and the little screw at the rear end of the gearbox moulding which is shown as a grub screw on this prototype but was a slot head screw on previous Policar releases.

I set up my Policars with a tiny bit of side to side play in the rear axle because they seem to labour if you wedge the axle stopper tight against the side of the motor mount. Others may prefer a different set up but mine works for me and hasn't caused any problems so far.

It sounds like there are problems with quality control on the assembly line rather than with the original design but this shouldn't be happening. Fortunately most will probably be bought by enthusiasts who will sort the problems themselves. Had this been aimed at the toy market it sounds like there would have been a lot of returned models.

Attachments

· Kitbasher
4,699 Posts
Mine arrived this morning.

The left hand front wheel is rattling around in the box.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH on a car costing over £50, NO WAY!

· Premium Member
5,561 Posts
Here are a few pictures of my 312B2. It's a nice looking slot car but has poor quality control issues as stated in this thread.

The front end of my car was fine but the droopy rear wing and the poorly fitted exhausts that made the car undriveable as they acted as skid blocks. My grub screw in the axle stop was bu****ed by the factory. I have rectified these and the car performs well now but a newbie to slot cars who buys this car will either struggle with it or return it.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

This last picture shows the various screws that attach the body to the chassis.

David

Attachments

· David H
4,403 Posts
Mine arrived today too, with a droopy rear wing, one brass screw missing from the motor pod, a front axle that binds somewhere so that it barely rotates, a gearbox that feels like it has grit in it (I've not dismantled the car yet), almost no ground clearance under the rear axle and one wonky rear wheel.

Most of these things I'm sure will be fairly easy to fix by stripping the car down, but the droopy rear wing is problematic, as is a wonky rear wheel (although I change mine to alloys, so I can live with it) and the missing motor pod screw is, er, missing and I have no replacement.

I'm a fan of the Policar classic F1s and have several, but none of mine has been perfect straight out of the box and all have required some remedial work before use. Not good.

· Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mine also has a droopy rear wing which I'll rectify at some point,aside from the aforementioned gears the front axel was bound up all of the policar I have have something wonky somewhere I have a lotus 72 with a left leaning spoiler that's not coming off short of braking it and a march that leans the other way as David says no problem for us serious scratch builders,but to an inexperienced sloter on a car that's in excess Of 50 pounds it's good reason to be returning it,and I would hate people to avoid policar on these ground as with very little remedial work they are great cars, but if you're reading these forums policar please just tighten up your quality control and all would be well

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.