SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got one of the above a day or so ago, and downloaded the two instruction sheets, and will I ever need them!
ohmy.png

That's a seriously complex kit, but it should be interesting. It doesn't say anything about lubrication, but I assume some will be needed, so what are the recommended lubricants for the geartrain etc. please?

I may be preaching heresy here, but I plan to backdate the car's colour scheme and do it as if the Gold Leaf and John Player Special regime never happened and paint it green with yellow stripes.
wink.png

It'll also have Jim Clark as a driver.............
thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Excellent idea, Kit. A 72 in green with a yellow stripe, and Jim driving. Can't wait to see your progress.

As for lubrication with complex kits, I advise and recommend Guinness followed by a single malt. Repeat several times especially if the transfers on the Piper Ferrari continue to misbehave. Works for me... mostly.

·
Autoavia
1,053 Posts
I have used silicon grease and graphite grease on Policar gearboxes and both worked ok for me but hopefully others with more Policar experience will be along to offer their advice.

Assembling the gearbox takes time and care but once it is together properly they work fine.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I use the same lubricants as Autoavia (Tony) has said and the cars always run very smoothly with them.

I'm very interested in seeing how a "Team Lotus" 72 will look as opposed to a GLTL or a JPS.

David

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
A Lotus 72 from an alternate reality? ... NICE B)

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
While some plastic compatible oil or grease will certainly help both performance/longevity, adding some very thin washers between the rotating and non rotating bits in the transmission will make a big difference.

Washers between a rotating and not rotating surface will act as thrust washers, greatly reducing friction, and wear. You will find the better/more experienced racers do this in all instances.

It is not easy to see in the pic. below, but thin washers have been installed between the bushing face and the "spur" gear on the left, and between the "stopper" and the bushing face on the right. I have done more than a dozen of these for club members/folks at the shop, and have never failed to se a noticeable improvement.

Similarly, I have installed thin washers between the intermediate gear shaft and the bushings on either end.........you can just make out the washer installed on the right hand side.

Cheers

Chris Walker

DSCN4641.jpg

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
It looks as if those washers may be included in the current white kits as they're mentioned in the instructions, although I haven't actually found them in the myriad packets of bits in the kit.

Thanks for the lubrication advice, I'll follow it closely.
thumbsup.gif

I'm well used to the alternate reality world as most of my modelling is building 1/72 scale models of aircraft that the manufacturers never seemed to get around to making.
biggrin.png
I'd rather keep to RW (Real World) cars but change the scheme, like my British Airways Racing Team Jag XJR12 I did some time back.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, here's a rather fundamental question.

What's the nearest (Halfords...?) stock colour for Lotus Green please?

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
You could always use Tamiya TS-43, "Racing Green" which was developed for Tamiya's Lotus 49 and 25...........no guesswork needed.

Cheers

Chris Walker

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Magic, thanks so much.
thumbsup.gif

I don't know all that much about Tamiya's paint range, and that makes a lot of sense.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
My Halfords best is Ford Laurel Green, but we all have our own opinions don't we.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

David

Attachments

Reactions: r377

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Must have run out of that when I went David as that appears to to be a better colour,as seems darker than brooklands,will keep a note in case I need to do another lotus
thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I LOVE your 43 David, that's one superb model. I can't wait to hear the real thing when they power it up at some event before much longer (hopefully...)

That Laurel Green does look pretty close to me, I'll see if I can find some. I have the Rover colour already, but it looks a bit too light to my eyes.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I LOVE your 43 David, that's one superb model. I can't wait to hear the real thing when they power it up at some event before much longer (hopefully...)
Kit

I have seen the Lotus 43 run at Goodwood but it was only in a Jim Clark cars parade so it was cruising quite slowly, like you I can't wait to hear it racing.

David

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got some assembly done on the Green 72. You get both early and late nose wings and narrow and wide radiator pods, so I've chosen the early versions of both. The body shell is the late version though, without the NACA intakes for the brakes, but I'm not about to try and carve some myself! Again I've had to use superglue for most of it as conventional plastic cement doesn't seem to work well with Policar's styrene.

I've gone as far as I can go now without pre-painting the rear suspension and engine areas.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ref. the washers, they supply some etched ones for the intermediate gear shaft in the kit, and they're mentioned in the instructions too, but not for the main rear axle.

I got that wrong I'm afraid, but I'll get some and install them. Great idea, thanks.
thumbsup.gif

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Ref. the washers, they supply some etched ones for the intermediate gear shaft in the kit, and they're mentioned in the instructions too, but not for the main rear axle.

I got that wrong I'm afraid, but I'll get some and install them. Great idea, thanks.
thumbsup.gif
You can get some proper commercial grade .005" spacers from ABSlotsport (much better than the photo etched ones)......use two between the final drive spur and the bushing face, and 2 between the axle stopper and the bushing face on the opposite side.

If you are planning on building more kits, it would be a very good idea to buy some styrene weld (Pro Weld, Tenax, Micro Mark, Flexi-File etc.). While CA does stick the parts together, it has a very low shear strength, and can crack/break quite easily in an "off".

Cheers

Chris Walker

1 - 20 of 104 Posts