SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have enormous pleasure in inviting entries for the 1st running of the Policar Grand Prix UK, to be run at the UKSF, on Sunday May the 20th 2018.
This event will be sponsored by POLICAR and the intention is to make this an annual racing fixture at UKSF.

This first event will be run as a single driver GP for RTR cars.

Model Specifications:
Any RTR Policar (modern, excludes vintage Policar) F1 car in production.

Liveries:
All standard liveries accepted. By the time of the race the released cars should be:
Lotus 72C Gold Leaf Jochen Rindt Hockenheim 1970
Lotus 72C Bob Walker Graham Hill Oulton Park 1971
Lotus 72D JPS Emerson Fittipaldi Monaco 1972
Lotus 72D Lucky Strike Dave Charlton Brands Hatch 1972
March 701 STP Chris Amon Belgium 1970
March 701 Tyrrell Jackie Stewart Jarama 1970

All custom liveries accepted provided they represent a real car in a real race. Evidence may be requested of particularly obscure liveries.

Cars must pass scrutineering and enter Parc Ferme with all original body parts attached.

Wheels and Tyres;
Front wheels and tyres must be those that the model came with / exact replacements.
Rear wheels can be the plastic originals or the standard Policar replacement part. (See rear track note below).
Rear tyres will be hand out at the race F22 compound slicks. Entry price includes one set of rear tyres. Further sets can be purchased on the day if required.
No gooping or other tyre treatments will be permitted. Cleaning permitted using tape only, no liquids permitted.

Wheel inserts
All cars must have correct front and rear wheel inserts in plastic, resin, metal or wood. No paper or cardboard!

Modifications:
No modifications are allowed to the RTR except:
Addition of weight:
- at the front INSIDE the body ONLY
- at the rear may be placed outside the body provided it cannot be seen from above (without rear wing in place)

Wheelbase
May not be modified in any way.

Track
Front as standard RTR
Rear max 50mm
Please note that the track on the RTR car as sold may vary and should be adjusted to ensure it complies with the dimension above.

Gluing / Float
Parts may be glued and clearance for float may be achieved provided the other rules are adhered to.
Any loose screws must be glued or taped in place.

Opening Times.
Saturday 19th May (practice) UKSF opens at 11am and closes at 5.30pm.
We will operate an hour on, hour off policy for official practice in order to mix with public races in between.
So:
11-12
13-14
15-16
17-17:30
Are all official practice.

(possible evening meal TBA)

Sunday 20th May (heats and ladder final) UKSF opens at 10am and closes at 4:30pm.
Practice 10-10:30
Scrutineering and set up 10:30-11:00
Heats 11:00-14:00
Ladder Final 14:00-15:00
Prize Giving 15:00

Scrutineering.
All models will be inspected for compliance with the regulations.

Race Format
Heats (3 mins) and set laps ladder finals. Finalised, once number of entries are known.
Track Voltage 12 volts.

Marshalling
During the day the entrants will be expected to marshall the two heats / finals following their own heat / final in order to make a fair contribution by everyone. Waiting for marshals is one of the most time consuming things on race day so please help by adhering to this principle.

Trophies and Prizes;
1st 2nd 3rd in Racing.

Trophies and Prizes from the Event sponsor Policar, many thanks to Maurizio.

Entry Details:
Entry fee. This is set at £10. Each entrant will also need to gain entry to the UKSF event by payment to the museum. The idea is that there should be time to enjoy the show whilst doing some racing!

One entry per person.

Entry must be registered on this thread and the fee must be paid by JANUARY 31st 2018. Until payment is received your entry will be provisional only and not confirmed.

If there are spaces left on the day entries 'may' be accepted. Entry on the day is set at £14.

The intention is to run a successful and professional race and therefore we need to have close to guaranteed numbers so please take the pre-registry route where possible.

Payment by cheque, or paypal. Cheques payable to "Andrew Rowland", paypal to [email protected]

Send cheques to;
Andrew Rowland, 7 Manor Park, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 1XZ, UK.

If 30 paid entries are received, entry will then be closed, but we will start a reserve list.
I will publish a list of paid entries received to date, once I have double checked my notes.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards,
Andi Rowland

Note on other race types:
Team entries and / or scratchbuilt / compatible chassis models with Policar gearboxes are all on my mind but for now will have to wait due to the limited time on the day.

The intention is to make this a single day event on the Sunday with optional practice on the Saturday to limit people's costs and time. (Hotels are expensive things). It would be good to hear from people interested in team or scratchbuilt / compatible chassis classes.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Well spotted of course!

We currently have two options we are looking at for the track. The one which is most certain is an MDF routed track with braid which will be Shepton Mallet's club track designed by Graham Lane.

I am sure Graham will post a plan of it when he reaches this thread ;) .

The other is more experimental so I would not want to be drawn on it at this stage. Rest assured that the track will be high quality for racing these cars.

We will keep you posted to ensure plenty of time for preparation and testing as we get nearer to the race.

Hope that helps thus far **** and we can count you in...

Best wishes
Andi

·
Registered
505 Posts
Sounds like just the thing to tempt me to attend the festival for the first time. Will do a Paypal transfer over the weekend.

One question, will we be allowed to glue and true the handout tyres ?

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,281 Posts
For the one dayers, will they get enough track time in the 30 mins practice window? I wont have time to attend both days.

Put me down for an entry, all the same.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For the one dayers, will they get enough track time in the 30 mins practice window? I wont have time to attend both days.
Put me down for an entry, all the same.
Thanks for your entry Martyn, the timings are a worst case. I am hoping to provide at least an hour. Possibly more. It will depend on numbers and on more detailed analysis of timing once we get closer.

I think it would be fair to allow one dayers precedence on the Saturday morning.

Andi

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like just the thing to tempt me to attend the festival for the first time. Will do a Paypal transfer over the weekend.
One question, will we be allowed to glue and true the handout tyres ?
Jeff, hadn't really thought about it. The theory is it offers no advantage but of course it might. Especially the truing.

Right now i'd say you can glue them but not true them.

I hope that is not too disappointing for you dyed in the wool types! If EVERYONE can agree that truing were allowed i'm easy but the basis of these cars and hand out tyres is that you won't need to so I would like to resist to allow as wide an involvement as possible.

Andi

·
Registered
505 Posts
For the record, unglued & untrued is fine by me, as long as it is the same for everyone. I agree that they should be a near 'out of the box' as possible, to give as much scope for attracting people who would not normally enter national competitions, as possible.

·
Marc Abbott
1,912 Posts
Hi Andy
Entry for me please, and Mark Long from Nascot Wood SCC... we have already entered, but both of our posts seem to have disappeared!

Marc Abbott

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Naturally, please put me down for an entry. Our new track, funded by Tesco and named Whitstone, will be ready by then. It can be put together in many different ways but my preferred layout for this event would be like this:

31F7E620-FEF1-4A9F-9186-A27D3C0A0960.jpeg

It is 18mm MR MDF, precision CNC cut, with four lanes and fitted with non-magnetic braid. Each panel is 1217 x 1217mm square. Lane centres are 90mm. The slot is 4mm wide by 8,2mm deep, so all deep wood guides are OK. Track surface is Leyland garage floor paint in mid grey. The whole thing is supported by Ikea screw-on legs. Any questions, please contact me on [email protected]

In time, I shall be offering these track panels as routed and rebated MDF, sold in pairs in any combination. Only the section in the middle is a pair of dedicated of panels. A bridge section and an exciting new panel is currently being designed. More on that later. All the finishing; painting, braid, barriers, joint alignment, legs, power supply, lap counting, race control systems are entirely up to you but I will be providing a list of recommended methods and suppliers with each order. Price has yet to be confirmed but the idea is to provide an economic way of building a precision home, exhibition or club track which can be extended and altered to fit any shape or size of room, fully demountable and easily transported.

Attachments

·
ParrotGod
7,920 Posts
I have to say that I am not a big fan of "modular" systems but this track looks really good and it seems to have a nice flow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Andi

Just sent payment
biggrin.png

Quick question just to make sure, rear wheels you say "standard Policar replacement part" is that PWH1234-AL?

Cheers

Mark Long

1 - 20 of 183 Posts