SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Policar track
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the holidays on, I have some time to post my track and starting layout.

I decided to build a track with Policar. I started with the drift set with a load of extension pieces to make the following figure 8. I got the layout off HRW.

The table top is made of the thinest OSB I could get, I believe it's 7/16 which i framed out with 1" x 3". For legs I was lucky to find a daycare closing and was able to get these IKEA adjustable legs for $5 each. From what I can see online they have been OOS on their legs for the past year.

I hope to get some carpet for the table top and some professor motor controllers to replace the stock Policar ones.

Table Wood Flooring Floor Tablecloth

Furniture Building Table Interior design Wood

·
Registered
244 Posts
Exactly what I'm planning to do. Those R2 look about the same radius as Ninco R2. A pity there isn't more choice of sets with R2 and R3 curves instead of the R1s. Have you run any other cars on the track apart from those in the set? I guess you'll be buying some borders?

·
Registered
Policar track
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The table top is 4 x 16. I used 2 - 4 x 8 sheets.
I was thinking of finding a different way to make borders my self but let's see.

I'm going to make a race coordinator lap timing system this week.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was thinking of finding a different way to make borders my self but let's see.

Nice start to a track and a decent size of table for future expansion.Got a 16x4 table at the moment which may expand in the future...never ending slot car obsession!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
It might be too late now or you may not have the room but I would suggest turning one of the 4x8 sheets 90 degrees to make an "L". This way you will not be as limited in your design/layout options.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Thanks Purelife, the size is close to want I want to build. Perhaps as PetesLightKits said, I'll try to integrate an L shape.
Now looking at wood material and sizes.

What are "borders"?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks Purelife, the size is close to want I want to build. Perhaps as PetesLightKits said, I'll try to integrate an L shape.
Now looking at wood material and sizes.

What are "borders"?
Run-offs that fit around the outside (or inside) of track sections. Enables tail slides and running 1/24 cars!

Tire Vehicle Font Automotive exterior Bumper
Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car Automotive design

·
Registered
Policar track
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It might be too late now or you may not have the room but I would suggest turning one of the 4x8 sheets 90 degrees to make an "L". This way you will not be as limited in your design/layout options.
I could maybe fit the L layout, room is a bit tight and my wife might kill me. But I would love to have a long gentle cuved straight .

I originally told her I was only building a 4 x 8 HO layout 😂

·
ParrotGod
9,878 Posts
Run-offs that fit around the outside (or inside) of track sections. Enables tail slides and running 1/24 cars!

View attachment 290405 View attachment 290406
Just to note that not all 1/24 will be able to race on a policar track no matter if you have borders or not.
1/24 small saloon cars like the BRM/TTS are ok but anything larger like GT3 cars will not be able to go side by side.

·
Registered
Policar track
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm working on coming up with a new layout for the table top.

I would like to come up with some version of this track that @MrFlippant posted a while back.

I'm close just fiddling with what works and what doesn't.

·
David H
3,991 Posts
The first one is better (post #13), for three reasons:
1. The main straight is longer.
2. The S-bend over the straight will be more fun.
3. The straight needs to run under the S-bend, not over it, otherwise you'll be scrabbling around under the bridge to retrieve crashed cars.

A very long time ago, I had a two-lane Ninco track with an S-bend over the main straight, although my S-bend was tighter and more pronounced than yours. I thought mine might be too fiddly to drive, but actually it was really nice and flowed well.

My old track wouldn't fit into your space, but it shows the S-bend.

Organism Line Font Slope Parallel

·
Registered
Policar track
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The first one is better (post #13), for three reasons:
1. The main straight is longer.
2. The S-bend over the straight will be more fun.
3. The straight needs to run under the S-bend, not over it, otherwise you'll be scrabbling around under the bridge to retrieve crashed cars.

A very long time ago, I had a two-lane Ninco track with an S-bend over the main straight, although my S-bend was tighter and more pronounced than yours. I thought mine might be too fiddly to drive, but actually it was really nice and flowed well.

My old track wouldn't fit into your space, but it shows the S-bend.

View attachment 292686
Thanks! I also prefer the first track I posted. But was hesitant on the S.

·
ParrotGod
9,878 Posts
Given the space you have got, the last one looks like has a good flow.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My current layout isn't too far off from the last you posted with the exception of the elevated "S and we've had a lot of fun with it. Mine is about 12' x 6' so similar total length. I used R2 just to save space until we get our new building up and I can do a more permanent build. I think you'll find it flows well.

·
Registered
Policar track
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm toying with the idea of changing the table layout from 4 x 16.
to a L shape layout.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts