SlotForum banner

Policar track Canada

8K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  jean58.bellemare 
#1 ·
With the holidays on, I have some time to post my track and starting layout.

I decided to build a track with Policar. I started with the drift set with a load of extension pieces to make the following figure 8. I got the layout off HRW.

The table top is made of the thinest OSB I could get, I believe it's 7/16 which i framed out with 1" x 3". For legs I was lucky to find a daycare closing and was able to get these IKEA adjustable legs for $5 each. From what I can see online they have been OOS on their legs for the past year.

I hope to get some carpet for the table top and some professor motor controllers to replace the stock Policar ones.

Table Wood Flooring Floor Tablecloth

Furniture Building Table Interior design Wood

See less See more
#2 ·
Exactly what I'm planning to do. Those R2 look about the same radius as Ninco R2. A pity there isn't more choice of sets with R2 and R3 curves instead of the R1s. Have you run any other cars on the track apart from those in the set? I guess you'll be buying some borders?

#12 ·
I'm working on coming up with a new layout for the table top.

I would like to come up with some version of this track that @MrFlippant posted a while back.

I'm close just fiddling with what works and what doesn't.

#15 ·
The first one is better (post #13), for three reasons:
1. The main straight is longer.
2. The S-bend over the straight will be more fun.
3. The straight needs to run under the S-bend, not over it, otherwise you'll be scrabbling around under the bridge to retrieve crashed cars.

A very long time ago, I had a two-lane Ninco track with an S-bend over the main straight, although my S-bend was tighter and more pronounced than yours. I thought mine might be too fiddly to drive, but actually it was really nice and flowed well.

My old track wouldn't fit into your space, but it shows the S-bend.

Organism Line Font Slope Parallel

#16 ·
The first one is better (post #13), for three reasons:
1. The main straight is longer.
2. The S-bend over the straight will be more fun.
3. The straight needs to run under the S-bend, not over it, otherwise you'll be scrabbling around under the bridge to retrieve crashed cars.

A very long time ago, I had a two-lane Ninco track with an S-bend over the main straight, although my S-bend was tighter and more pronounced than yours. I thought mine might be too fiddly to drive, but actually it was really nice and flowed well.

My old track wouldn't fit into your space, but it shows the S-bend.

View attachment 292686
Thanks! I also prefer the first track I posted. But was hesitant on the S.

#19 ·
My current layout isn't too far off from the last you posted with the exception of the elevated "S and we've had a lot of fun with it. Mine is about 12' x 6' so similar total length. I used R2 just to save space until we get our new building up and I can do a more permanent build. I think you'll find it flows well.

#21 ·
Although I have an L made from two 4x8 sheets, and I love my layout... I'm not sure I'd recommend it, especially if you can fit a 16' table. If anything, see if you can go a little wider. 6x16' would open up a lot of options for more complex track geometry.

#26 ·
I like the last one the best.
However, I would just remove the kink at the end of the back straight before the 180 degree corner on the right end.
Also, see if you can change both 180 degree corners that you have at each end of the table: both of them are just R2s with some straight pieces.
Instead try something with more radii, something like a R4->R3->R2->R2->R1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.