SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 358 Posts

·
ParrotGod
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi All

have you heard of the new Policar track system?

I came across through Armchair Newsletter: http://www.armchairracer.com.au/slot-car-sets/policar/policar-track-information?utm_source=Armchair+Newsletter&utm_campaign=1543feb53c-2017_12_22&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e230b985ee-1543feb53c-242629993&mc_cid=1543feb53c&mc_eid=e50101f5bd

90 mm lane spacing (why not 100 mm???), 60 mm borders, tripe guardrails and digital track pieces for 2019.

This is a chance to get plastic digital track made it right.

I hope that there will be R1 to R6 radii, long lane changers (a la carrera) for high speed lane changes and R2/R3 lane changers.

To be honest, I was expecting something like this to happen.

Given that Policar was producing excellent track and the lack of ninco (digital) track it makes perfectly sense to move in this direction.

Exciting times for sure.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I can see you rubbing your hands Gio!

I am sure Maurizio will add some information for you when he has time.

I am thinking -
90mm lane spacing is the same as Ninco, which is used for so many club tracks and so many of those major "temporary setup" meetings like we were both at in Henley last year.
Carrera at 100mm has to support their 1/24th scale product, but 90mm is large enough for all 1/32 racing,

Of course, the larger the lane spacing, the more room a basic setup takes for "rug racing", and this must be a factor, as they will be selling into the home market.

This is some curve diameter data I made up when we were choosing the original track system for Hawkes Bay club in 2006

curve%20diameters.jpg

I figure that if they had gone to 100mm lane spacing, it would have made the space required for home sets so much larger - and less practical, especially once you ran some "R3" outside standard curves.

As always, great thought will have been / has been put into the product development.

·
ParrotGod
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Mark

I think that the main market for this track will be club and official events not the home based tracks. For that we have scalextric already. ;-)

A lot of clubs in Europe are in trouble because of Ninco going to play with drones.

And that is where the big money is.

Personally, I have more than enough track with Scalex and Carrera and I want to start playing around with 1/24 and oXigen more.

·
ParrotGod
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good article. So it seems that they are going for R4 (if that what they mean with "tracks with 8 lanes").

The track surface looks like is going to be Ninco-like and it makes sense: if you have a ninco track and want to use policar lane changers the surface should remain similar.

·
Administrator
10,131 Posts
Hi Mark

I think that the main market for this track will be club and official events not the home based tracks. For that we have scalextric already. ;-)

A lot of clubs in Europe are in trouble because of Ninco going to play with drones.

And that is where the big money is.

Personally, I have more than enough track with Scalex and Carrera and I want to start playing around with 1/24 and oXigen more.
Not sure I agree, the Scalextric track is not brilliant for non-magnet driving - this has got to appeal to quite a few people if it provides the right level of grip.

·
ParrotGod
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure I agree, the Scalextric track is not brilliant for non-magnet driving - this has got to appeal to quite a few people if it provides the right level of grip.
WHAT???? You really need to sort out your tyres, Riko.
tongue.png

Scalex track is one of the best track out there for non-magnetic racing.

But then again, why non-magnetic racing is for the home market?? Here for me home market means daddy/son/daughter going to toy shop and buy a slot car set.

Do you think that they will buy a policar set (if one ever be made) because the track is better for non-magnetic racing???

I am assuming it will come at a premium cost as well - so it is not going to be cheapest choice.

Anyway, good to be able to have this discussion: it is not that often that we can discuss about a new track system.

·
re member
4,134 Posts
If the surface is similar to Ninco? not for me then.

The idea that a textured surface is good somehow doesn't work in my head.....unless you are doing rally or raid.

Reactions: GRUNZ

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
The press article implies that the track system will feature four (possibly six) lanes. Price is always going to be an issue, but a FOUR LANE POLICAR SET :D has got to be considered a game changer.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
This geometry looks very much like vintage Fleischmann: Lane spacing 90 mm, track width 180 mm, 1/1 straight 360 mm.
In this geometry the inner radius of turns will be R1 90 mm, R2 270 mm, R3 450 mm, R4 630 mm. Perfect!

4c2g4itgh9ns0rmxy553j0cl4tk5xu5s.jpg

Policar geometry

ql5fm41a9wnz1s8bo6k59t6wy7y8pwz5.jpg

Policar track

97c95fedabcd1d775917637de21428462588e81d

Fleischmann track

cef745132acb34a0211c564c50e9ec69b60684bc

Fleischmann R1

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
What I think is significant here, and for sure is in the mind of the Maurizios is that this can help create a whole new generation of children getting sets for Christmas and that can and I believe will create a new grass roots....

Currently parents in Italy have very little opportunity to buy these kind of sets for their children as the only real company doing any imports is Carerra and because they are not Italian very few stores stock anything but the most basic 'toy' offering.

Just as Scalextric is a household brand in the UK it should not be underestimated how Policar/Polistil are household names in Italy. Everyone I speak to in Italy who don't know about slotracing understand PERFECTLY when I just say, "like Polistil when you were young".

Then to produce a product aimed at clubs who struggle with the lack of availability and connectivity of Ninco.... genius.

As Gaz says, 'a game changer'.

Merry Christmas Maurizio

·
ParrotGod
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just as Scalextric is a household brand in the UK it should not be underestimated how Policar/Polistil are household names in Italy. Everyone I speak to in Italy who don't know about slotracing understand PERFECTLY when I just say, "like Polistil when you were young".

Then to produce a product aimed at clubs who struggle with the lack of availability and connectivity of Ninco.... genius.
I would swap the order. Economically makes more sense.

We know that Maurizio F is in love with Policar track (he has a vintage one in his house) and I believe to be able to bring back to the market a product that he loves is a personal achievement. If this is also going to create the next generation of slotracers then all the better.

I am Italian, and it is true that Polistil means slotcars to me. But it is also true that Polistil was so carp that put me off from slotcars for 35 years.

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
Considering Slot.it already make SSD compatible chips, can we expect the digital pieces to be SSD compatible, too?

·
ParrotGod
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is an interesting point. It might be possible.

What I would like to see would be policar straight piece with boards for sensors compatible with the APB and/or ARC PRO.

You get this piece, do a bit of soldering and connect the power out and sensor inputs between the PB and the track piece.

In this way, we could have SSD running on the policar track!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
When in search of vintage Polistil track parts, which connect so nicely to Fleischmann and Ninco, i always ended up finding them in Italy. So yes, it's more than a brand name in Italy. The analogue pitlane, the now so rare ultra wide "Monza" curva grande parts... I don't know about the cars (carp i suspect), but the Polistil track was good! A bit flimsy thin plastic but when handled with care, a great track to race on.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
I think with the fact that Oxygen exists but supports SSD we could have digital track that also support it, if they are really clever they could sell small cartridges to swap to allow multiple system support, or at least sell different digital components just with the LED i the right place for each system, IF they can get permission.

I for one wold love a track with a decent grip such as the ninco track of scalextric classic but also to have one that has decent electrical connection. I hate the scalextric track, it takes so long to set up a decent circuit due to constant power issues.

I'm sure Maritzio has thought this all through and has long term plans to cater for club and home users.

No matter which way you look at it and how its being aimed it is going to be good for some part of the hobby

1 - 20 of 358 Posts