SlotForum banner
321 - 340 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just chiming in here because I couldn't find any info anywhere else, but does anyone have intel on when the Policar Digital pieces will be ready? In the original Policar catalogue it said they were due in 2019.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Nop, but sometimes the very Maurizio Ferrari writes here so maybe we'll have news anytime soon. 😉

Cheers

·
Registered
123 Posts
With the whole Covid debarcle I’m sure it’s on the back burner. Still waiting on some of the analogue track pieces to be releasing months ago.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You can just chat with the Policar company on Facebook if you have any questions they will answer it there. I asked them about the new powerbase and timing hardware only a few months ago. And received answer a day later.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Still waiting on some of the analogue track pieces to be releasing months ago.
I have a notion to create a four-lane Policar track to replace my ageing Ninco (which I am using only for a rally circuit now). But like numerous other companies and organisations, they do not appear to answer their email enquiries. What's holding me back from a large Policar purchase is the lack of any chicanes, crossovers, gradients and new innovations to make a circuit more interesting. I have this forlorn hope that they (or anyone else) will create a 'Goodwood' style chicane making it possible to purchase two of them to make a four-lane version. Pie in the sky probably!

·
Greg Gaub
14,984 Posts
Sounds like you need a routed track where you can get the best surface of all, plus add any of those things you want.
I don't expect slot.it/Policar to add gimmick tracks like that any time soon, though... if ever.

·
ParrotGod
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #327 ·
Just chiming in here because I couldn't find any info anywhere else, but does anyone have intel on when the Policar Digital pieces will be ready? In the original Policar catalogue it said they were due in 2019.
I have seen the schematics of the policar LCs and they look really good. Alas I think it is going to be a while before we will see anything in the shops.

·
ParrotGod
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #328 ·
. What's holding me back from a large Policar purchase is the lack of any chicanes, crossovers, gradients and new innovations to make a circuit more interesting. I have this forlorn hope that they (or anyone else) will create a 'Goodwood' style chicane making it possible to purchase two of them to make a four-lane version. Pie in the sky probably!
As MrFlip says, these pieces are not priority for Policar track: they have never been in the plans as far as I know.
I think their main goal is to release the digital pieces (the double-straight lane changer and a pit lane one [although I have never seen any schematics/plans for this]) so that they can support oXigen racing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I talked to Policar company a little while ago this year and they are planning a powerbase first for lanes 3 and 4. They are also working on a lap timing system. For now they have made new plastic parts that were needed for this purpose, because it will be dead strip based. But don't expect it soon, because it is in development fase. As I mentioned you can chat on Facebook with Policar if you want to. They will answer questions you have.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Looking at the Policar powerbase I note that it takes one power input only (unlike the Ninco terminial I use that accepts one for each lane). Have any users had power issues with one DC input running two cars? In all the systems I've ever used I've always employed one DC source per lane to avoid power losses/surges.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Looking at the Policar powerbase I note that it takes one power input only (unlike the Ninco terminial I use that accepts one for each lane). Have any users had power issues with one DC input running two cars? In all the systems I've ever used I've always employed one DC source per lane to avoid power losses/surges.
I dumped the Policar base and used a stop & go box from Ds. Most of my mates that have Policar complained about the base getting Hot to easy and the same for the basic controls, thus all of them changed the base for stop & go boxes and Ds/Professor Motor controls or used the Ninco power base with dual powerlines and the Policar /Ninco adapters.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

·
Greg Gaub
14,984 Posts
The OEM base and PSU are for the sets and set cars with the set controllers. It's the toy, and the fact that it comes with a PSU that has voltage control already puts it above and beyond every other analog set base/psu.

If you even have a passing concern about the performance, then you shouldn't even consider using it, since you'll probably also be wanting some proper controllers anyway.

·
Vendor
2,940 Posts
Some Policar track news....
If you have missed the news, R5 curve is being manufactured, all moulds completed.

We have also completed the design and testing of the new Power base for lane 3 and 4 and for an improved PB for lane 1 and 2. Manufacturing orders have been placed
Both parts now include one border between the PB electronics and the track. These parts are available separately.
What Greg says is true: in general, the PBs are designed for the homeset racer. Due to safety regulations, the boards and the controllers must include all the necessary means to work within the expected limits, that in my opinion are well suited for 1/43 or 1/64, not certainly for 1/32, where they affect overall performance, because there are current limiting devices on the PCB inside the PB, and thermal switches inside the controllers. We must work within these boundaries.

We are actively working on the Lane Changer and we will show the 3D printed prototype this week at the Verona Hobby Model Show. Mechanical design is almost finished, working on electronics now. It consists of two same pieces. The cut in the middle of the grey section is for prototyping purpose only.

The lap counter with Bluetooth interface is also being developed and we expect a prototype soon.

Rectangle Wood Auto part Musical instrument accessory Fashion accessory

Wood Tire Flooring Rectangle Carbon

Water Rectangle Music Slope Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Presumably we can remove the 'current limiting devices' if adapting the PB to normal club type controllers? :)

Oddly enough one of my PBs is sitting, stripped down, right alongside me as I type....... ;)

·
Greg Gaub
14,984 Posts
Why use that base at all, if you're adapting club controllers to the track? Club wiring is super simple, and you will surely want a proper, variable voltage/amperage, club style, power supply as well?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hello? Just manufacture a decent powerbase for the system taking two power inputs and two controllers. Ninco did it within safety constraints. Why make a 'toy' one.

·
Greg Gaub
14,984 Posts
The Ninco one was also a toy one. Am I missing something?

Things have changed over the last several years since Scalextric and Ninco have made those "two wall warts" power bases.

I'm sure that if you were to review the restrictions on toys the world over, and came up with a design that provided "club style" power and control AND was legally OK to sell in all of those countries, that slot.it would LOVE to hear about it.

321 - 340 of 358 Posts