SlotForum banner
341 - 358 of 358 Posts

·
ParrotGod
8,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #341 ·
I think people are confusing a quality track that can be used for club racing with the out of the box powerbase that is for the home racers to get started.
As MR Flippant said, if you have the needs to put in a club-level controller then do a club-level control and wiring station - It is much simpler than modify any power base.

Anyway, good to see some updates and new items for this track system. For the powerbase for lane 3 and 4, it will need to have 4 controller ports: in the picture that you showed here with 4 lanes, that is not the final 4 lane powerbase, correct?
As for the lane changer, can I connect together two of the white pieces so that I can have bi-directional lane changers?
Finally, any news or plans for the pitlane entry/exit lane changers?

·
Greg Gaub
15,086 Posts
I'm thinking it's essentially another 2 lane power base, but for the "far" two lanes, with a dead section of track between the base and the powered lanes. Coupled with the regular 2 lane power base right next to it (or down the way), and you now have 4 lanes of power.

·
Vendor
2,948 Posts
The Ninco one was also a toy one. Am I missing something?

Things have changed over the last several years since Scalextric and Ninco have made those "two wall warts" power bases.
I'm sure that if you were to review the restrictions on toys the world over, and came up with a design that provided "club style" power and control AND was legally OK to sell in all of those countries, that slot.it would LOVE to hear about it.
You are correct, and also, cost must be considered.
Summarizing things, safety rules require that no matter what you do, temperatures stay within certain limits, and no smoke comes out of the controllers. Worst case scenario: short on the rails, controller kept at say 50% of the run with the intent of making it smoke.
Is there room for improvement? I'm sure there is, but we have to work within the safety rules, cost limitations, availability of parts and supplier's skills that make up the boundary that we're working with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lane changer means I can start doing research on the oxigen digital stuff. I must admit it is difficult for a novice to know what to buy or where to begin. Any how-to articles on this?

·
Greg Gaub
15,086 Posts
If your plan is to get Policar track with O2 lane changers, then the research is pretty simple, and you can get started with some hands-on right away. Pick up an SCP3 controller and a battery for it. The instructions include what kind to get, or look at the oXigen subforum for examples. Get a Type-C oXigen chip and install it into any car you like. The slot.it app is easy to use for the one time registration of those two products, and can be used as needed for firmware updates. I have several videos about these things to help. To get use to driving the car and setting the controller, all you need to do is put the car on a lane with full power. Usually this is as easy as connecting the black and white posts of club controller hookups, but there are other ways to do it if needed. The slot.it web site has the O2 base manual, which is chock full of information, but can be a bit overwhelming and technical at first. Lots of people will be happy to help you on your oXigen journey when you post in the slot.it oXigen subforum of the Digital subforum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks I will read up on it. What do you mean with “connecting the white and black posts of club controller hookups”? Where can I find your videos? Cheers👍

·
Greg Gaub
15,086 Posts
Most club controller hook ups use three colors/wires for power and braking. Black, white, and red. While there may be differences and you should ask the track owner before doing this, bridging the black to white by using a piece of wire with clips at each end, will send full power to the rail, as if you had a controller connected with the trigger at full blast. That's another option, of course, just strapping down the trigger on a controller. Depending on the type of controller, though, that may or may not be safe to do for long periods.

Here's a playlist I've made of my various slot car instructional videos.

For future questions about oXigen, please feel free to PM me, or post in the oXigen subforum, so that this thread can return to discussion of the track itself.

·
ParrotGod
8,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #352 ·
Lane changer means I can start doing research on the oxigen digital stuff. I must admit it is difficult for a novice to know what to buy or where to begin. Any how-to articles on this?
It could be also useful what is your starting point. Do you have experience with other digital systems? Do you own some?
And on top of all of that: do you really need oXigen?
Starting straight with oXigen can be overwhelming but it can be done...it really depends on how much effort (and money) you want to put into it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks guys, I bought a policar track, the drift set plus som extra track pieces. My question is really how I can progress from here in the future? If I want to go digital, can I use Scalextric or Carreras digital systems or is oxigen the only option?

·
Greg Gaub
15,086 Posts
With the appropriate conversion pieces, I'm sure you could augment with Scalextric or Carrera digital.
I don't think oXigen is that much more complex than either of those, but I've been using them all for a while now.
Since you already have the track, which is great stuff, I'd suggest sticking with it, and going with oXigen in time.

·
ParrotGod
8,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #355 ·
In its basic operation, I agree that oXigen is as complex as the other systems.
However, getting all sorted and maintain it (firmware updates, registration, etc.) is a couple of order of magnitude more complex then the others.
And it should be like that given that oXigen is aimed at a different bunch of people (the more serious hobbyists rather than the xmax day carpet racers).
I cannot see in the foreseeable future a Policar Digital Pro homeset with oXigen components in it in the pipeline. But I would like Maurizio to prove me wrong ;-)

Anyway, yes, Jebba if you got yourself into policar and want to stick with it, going digital means oXigen. I would not recommend to buy adaptor and plug in other track systems: the change of grip level between track systems will drive you insane.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would think if they’re presenting a prototype of a lane changer they are planning on releasing it?Might take a year? Isn’t that and maybe a pit lane all we need to go digital with oxigen? Sorry if I’m missing something here, new to this😊

·
Greg Gaub
15,086 Posts
Correct, that's all you'd need on top of the controllers and cars and a dongle for race management. oXigen does not need a "power base" control track like other systems do.

I agree that an oXigen set is unlikely, though would love to see it. I doubt Hornby would agree to it, but a great way to keep the set cost low would be to include oXigen compatible versions of the ARC controllers. ;-)

·
ParrotGod
8,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #358 ·
I would think if they’re presenting a prototype of a lane changer they are planning on releasing it?Might take a year? Isn’t that and maybe a pit lane all we need to go digital with oxigen? Sorry if I’m missing something here, new to this😊
Of course they are going to release it. I am talking about something else in my post.
As for the single pitlane entry/exit, I do not recall seeing anything mentioned. But I do hope they have something in the pipeline.

341 - 358 of 358 Posts