SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 358 Posts

·
ParrotGod
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You got me googling for some more info about that wide cure and among others the link to your topic popped up.

Nice stuff.

·
re member
4,138 Posts
maybe a club surface option will be offered

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
So two new track systems coming but still no-one is going to do a super large radius curve like the old Polistil A231 one.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I have been fiddling a bit. Seeing the pictures online, like this one on slotcar today:

http://www.slotcar-today.com/en/img2/2018/02/policar-01-32562.jpg

I figure the track dimensions will be sort of as follows:

30142787858_53149b0606_b.jpg

If so, it would be a great track geometry, very well fitting for vintage Polistil, vintage Fleischmann (almost exactly the same dimensions and radii!) and modern Ninco.

If I am mistaken in my puzzling, please react, I stand happily corrected :)

Merc

·
Registered
57 Posts
People are complaining that there's no 100mm spacing but you have carrera track for that. There's also an adapter for Carrera coming out (or so I've read) so if you want the tighter radius turn you still have that option.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Here's a PDF with actual dimensions for anyone wanting the exact size data.]

And a snapshot

trackspecifications.jpg

And a 4 lane system comparison with some other track systems. I have offset Carrera one radius, to show a more even comparison between brands, as Carrera R1 is pretty close to everyone else's R2

TrackSystemDiameters.jpg

I have written the basic track design definition files for "Ultimate Racer" [ http://www.uracerweb.org/ ] for this track system, and Pierrick will include them in UR40 when it is released.
They cover circuits of up to 10 lanes, as there will in time be an R5 radius curve.
There is still a bit of a bug in the border settings, I'll kick that around with Pierrick when I get a chance.

If anyone wants to get into designing circuits with Policar track, message me your details and I will send you the three files which can just be cut and pasted into the Library directory of UR30 along with a Policar logo.

I haven't been given any news regarding an adapter to Carrera, only the Ninco adapter in 2019, and the Polistil/Fleischman adapter

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Thank you slotcrazy! Very informative and way more effective than my fiddling.

Merc
Glad to contribute Merc.

- The diameter comparisons just needed the data added from the Policar chart, as I already had the rest from when we set up the local club 11 years back and initially looked at which plastic track system to buy.

We went with Ninco, but switched to wood after a couple of years.

Some more info. and pics people may find useful. I particularly like towards the bottom, that a circuit can have corner radii one "R" size altered by the simple addition or subtraction of a half straight.
That is because the track width is exactly the same as the length of a half straight

- Textured surface scrubs dust from tyres to maintain better grip than smooth tracks in dusty conditions
- Note the rail liner, and flat racing surface - the rails are not "raised"
track.jpg

- Rigid plastic that will not warp or buckle with temperature change.

p008-4b.jpg

- Slot depth 8.5mm will take Slot.it wood guides
- 90mm lane spacing
spacing.jpg

- Robust electric connection, easy to use, secure clipping system, and lined slot which will not close up at the joints
The electrical connection is very good, and the steel used is described as "rust resistant" - I have no idea what that
means, but I expect they have done something similar to Carrera who have a chromium content in the rails

rails.jpg

- 60mm wide border sections gives 105mm from slot centre to guard rail, great for non magnet racing
rail.jpg

- Robust guard rails that clip above and below track

The joining system is easy to use for smaller hands, and very good, but these clips provide additional security for
locking sections together longitudinally in more permanent layouts

p076-20b.jpg

The clips pictured below in orange and red securely lock 4, 6 and 8 lane systems together laterally to eliminate gaps
clips-1.jpg

They have designed the geometry, so that a layout can have the turns altered, while retaining the main structure,
as the geometry of the various curves simply requires the addition or subtraction of half straight pieces to restore continuity.
See R1 at top, through to R4 at bottom.
Initial track will be 4 lane (R1 and R2), expanded to 8 lane at the end of the year.

1-layout.jpg

This will be a real bonus for people who like to experiment with track alterations.

In 2019, digital track pieces will be added.
digital-1.jpg

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
the track geometry is VERY like vintage Fleischmann. Fleischmann also had this system a 18 cm. long half straight and track width of 18 cm. In short: a tight relation between curve radius and standard straight length. You could swap between R1 R2 R3 easily.

The radii are like Fleischmann, only a few mm. different (Fleischmann R1 inner starts with R=95 mm instead of Policar R=89.5, every radius goes up 18 cm. instead of 17.9 cm).

So very interchangeable, which is great.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I forgot to update that post regarding the composition of the rails.
It should read "The electrical connection is very good, and the steel used is described as "rust resistant" - they are stainless steel."

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I dived into my old Fleischmann archives and found this:

29098111087_a8c723c3eb_o.jpg

Vintage Fleischmann track system is the same width (179 mm), height (10 mm) and lane spacing (90 mm). Slot is almost as deep (7 mm to Policar 8 mm). Policar slot width I don't know, I presume 2 to 3 mm (Fleischmann cars had ridiculously thick and deep guide flags, also good for 1/24 cars, therefore a wide slot like modern Carrera track).

The tabs on Fleischmann are exactly positioned as vintage Polistil track, only slightly bigger (polistil track is 8 mm. height, Fleischmann 10 mm). With a little filing Fleischmann fits perfectly tight to Polistil and with the upcoming adapter, to modern Policar. Not to mention the possibility to fit the fantastic vintage Polistil curves to modern Policar! Yay.

30167038028_afe9e7c9a3_o.jpg

And the curves/straights, also almost the same: R1 inner 95 mm (Policar 89.5 mm), R2 inner 275 mm (Policar 268.5 mm), R3 inner 455 mm (Policar 447.5 mm)
Fleischmann 1/1 straight 368 mm (Policar 358 mm). Fleischmann documentation states 370 mm but in real the parts are 368 mm (1/1), 184 mm (1/2) and 92 mm (1/4)

29098111227_8fd45a89b9_o.jpg

And gheh, vintage banked curves! These go second hand for a few euros per curve. Fits perfectly to Policar with the use of the adapter!

Boy do I love this. My wallet is afraid I'm going to like this very much.

Merc

·
David H
3,795 Posts
Here's a comparison diagram I've compiled using Ultimate Racer for the track pieces. It makes me wonder whether Scalextric is missing out on sales by not producing R5 pieces.

I don't expect Policar track to be cheap, but nonetheless I'm excited to soon be able to replace my bumpy Ninco track with something I hope will be a lot flatter. Wood would be best, but for me, the essence of slot car racing is sectional black plastic track and that's what I want to stay with.

Slope Font Rectangle Science Parallel

Attachments

21 - 40 of 358 Posts